Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have applied for the PPE course in 3 out of my 5 Universities; York, Lancaster and Manchester. The other two, were Politics and International relations at Aberdeen (as insurance) and Edinburgh's International Law and International Relations.

However I feel like I've picked "easy" universities to get into and I feel like it is an injustice to the amount of work I put into school. I do the IB and I'm predicted 40 points, and got okayish International GCSE grades (3A*s 3As 2Bs).
    I applied to these unis and not any London unis because of Home fee issues (I'm an EU student living abroad, and I heard some unis were harsh on home/international status like Warwick). I want to have applied to the right universities with the highest standards. I have done some reseach, but still unsure if I made the right decision. Any ideas on a University to change to? I already got offers from York and Manchester, but I'm thinking of changing Aberdeen/Lancaster. Also they're all in the North :/

Thanks in advance!
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    When did you apply? You have up to 14 days after sending your application to swap a university for a different one, but once you've been given an offer, you cannot swap. If it has been more than 14 days and you don't want to go to any of the universities you've applied to, you may be able to use UCAS Extra or UCAS Adjustment to apply to other universities, but not all universities use Extra or Adjustment.

I don't think universities are harsh on EU students (some people think it's harder for an EU student to get into a Scottish university, that may be true), but I've never heard that said about Warwick or any English university. You have applied to three very good universities (Edinburgh, Manchester and York), and you have two safe insurance choices, you could have made much worse choices! Don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks May I ask, what universities would you consider for a Politics course? I want to change round Aberdeen for UCL, but living in London is expensive! Also how hard would it be to get a part-time job to cover for accomodation? and I applied 5 days ago so it's all good

I heard Durham and Warwick are good but Durham is expensive as well. My main issue is fees and spending, my dad can olny afford to pay around 11000 pounds annually for me, and 9000 of that is already gone for fees
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MushTheSecond)
    Thanks May I ask, what universities would you consider for a Politics course? I want to change round Aberdeen for UCL, but living in London is expensive! Also how hard would it be to get a part-time job to cover for accomodation? and I applied 5 days ago so it's all good

I heard Durham and Warwick are good but Durham is expensive as well. My main issue is fees and spending, my dad can olny afford to pay around 11000 pounds annually for me, and 9000 of that is already gone for fees
    In my opinion, the best unis for Politics/PPE/IR are: Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, UCL (offers both PPE and ESPS, the latter is arguably better), Warwick, Durham, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Manchester, York and SOAS - but I stress, that is just my opinion, other people may disagree. I think it would be a good idea to swap Aberdeen for one of these universities; Lancaster can act as your insurance.

I think it would be difficult to find a part-time job that would give you time for study, and pay enough to cover accommodation, especially in London/the South. But if you are an EU student then you can take out a tuition fee loan, so your dad wouldn't have to pay the fees?

ReputationRep:
    hi
    i got an interview from worchester university for child nursing and was wondering if i can get some tips and also they asked to bring an object that represents nursing any suggestions ?

Thnaks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hala123321)
    hi
    i got an interview from worchester university for child nursing and was wondering if i can get some tips and also they asked to bring an object that represents nursing any suggestions ?

Thnaks

I think that's something you'll need to think very very hard about. What does nursing mean to you? Try and encapsulate that feeling, and find a link between that feeling and an object you have in your life, and make a statement about that process and midwifery

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I hope I'm not late on this thread
    I'm an international student and I've also applied for PPE for most of my choices, just a few days ago. Originally I applied for LSE, KCL, Edinburgh, York and UEA because my teachers wants me to have more safe choices. But since receiving an offer form UEA yesterday I had second thoughts about the unis I've chosen -- I feel like i could do better. Like you, my predicted are not too shabby (2A*2A). So I made up my mind and swapped York for Warwick today. Haven't got any answers back yet, quite nervous but I don't regret it.
    Have you made up your mind?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you pay domestic fees or EU fees?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would place Exeter above York

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fastturtleneck)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am hoping for EU fees however in most unis its the same thing

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I hope I'm not late on this thread
    I'm an international student and I've also applied for PPE for most of my choices, just a few days ago. Originally I applied for LSE, KCL, Edinburgh, York and UEA because my teachers wants me to have more safe choices. But since receiving an offer form UEA yesterday I had second thoughts about the unis I've chosen -- I feel like i could do better. Like you, my predicted are not too shabby (2A*2A). So I made up my mind and swapped York for Warwick today. Haven't got any answers back yet, quite nervous but I don't regret it.
    Have you made up your mind?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Long story, lemme explain

Since it's past the UCAS deadline things are a bit shaky for me. My current choices remember were Edinburgh, York, Manchester, Lancaster and Aberdeen, and I could only afford Edinburgh and Aberdeen out of those 5. I really didnt want Aberdeen but because I could afford it, I thought I'd keep it and change one of the others, and the only ones that didnt give me an offer at the time were Edinburgh, Lancaster and Aberdeen, so I thought Hey, I'll change Lancaster to UCL.

Then Lancaster gave me an offer.

RIP.

And I was still in the dilemma and the deadline passed. RIPRIP.

I didnt know if I could change at this stage but it turns out I still could, till the 20th (IN TWO DAYS!!) so I emailed UCL asking about my chances with the late change/application, citing financial reasons as an excuse. They replied saying 'its difficult and you wont be given priority, but ye sure, just give us the course you wanna apply to and we'll give you further advice.' I replied saying PPE and they still havent replied. RIP.

So if UCL replies saying 'ayt m9 ur chances ar gud send it over', I'm calling UCAS and changing Aberdeen to UCL, just to sate the need to apply to a good university. If not, screw, it I'm leaving things as they are and hope Edinburgh accept me, since it's the best out of the 5 and they give you freedom to explore other subjects.

So yeah. How did yours go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MushTheSecond)
    Long story, lemme explain

Since it's past the UCAS deadline things are a bit shaky for me. My current choices remember were Edinburgh, York, Manchester, Lancaster and Aberdeen, and I could only afford Edinburgh and Aberdeen out of those 5. I really didnt want Aberdeen but because I could afford it, I thought I'd keep it and change one of the others, and the only ones that didnt give me an offer at the time were Edinburgh, Lancaster and Aberdeen, so I thought Hey, I'll change Lancaster to UCL.

Then Lancaster gave me an offer.

RIP.

And I was still in the dilemma and the deadline passed. RIPRIP.

I didnt know if I could change at this stage but it turns out I still could, till the 20th (IN TWO DAYS!!) so I emailed UCL asking about my chances with the late change/application, citing financial reasons as an excuse. They replied saying 'its difficult and you wont be given priority, but ye sure, just give us the course you wanna apply to and we'll give you further advice.' I replied saying PPE and they still havent replied. RIP.

So if UCL replies saying 'ayt m9 ur chances ar gud send it over', I'm calling UCAS and changing Aberdeen to UCL, just to sate the need to apply to a good university. If not, screw, it I'm leaving things as they are and hope Edinburgh accept me, since it's the best out of the 5 and they give you freedom to explore other subjects.

So yeah. How did yours go?
    I emailed them, nothing yet
    I didn't realize I would be considered 'applying after 15th' lol, thanks for clarifying. I'll just go sulk in a corner now

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.