Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Another MP deserts in the face of Corbyn's inevitable March to victory!

On a serious note he had a large majority here and the party that came closest to him was ukip. The majority of his constituency voted Leave. If Ukip don't win this they may as well disband.

ReputationRep:
    I've always had the impression with him that he was one of the labour lot who were so stuck in the blairite third way ideology (of which the pro EU, pro immigration is so unpopular now) that they don't want Labour to succeed doing anything else. He also gave that speech at Oxford or Cambridge about how it was the job of intellectuals from those places to lead labour and the plebs should not get involved beyond being passive observers.

If it weren't for the fact the party seems to be at risk of imploding getting rid of his type could be a good thing but there isn't a successful/competent left :-/

It makes sense that he is leaving from his personal perspective. He seems to be the type of labour person who was in at least party for the career and rising through the ranks, get a shadow cabinet position and then a cabinet position. That plan has gone down the toilette with the direction labour internal politics has taken and I don;t think he would be happy with being a constituent focused MP. If by some miracle Corbyn won a GE I doubt he would even want to be a cabinet member anyway.

So whilst him leaving is not really a good sign for labour, its hard to feel bad about it.

I agree with Owen Jones response to this.

"Being an MP should be a service, about representing constituents above all else, even if that means languishing on the backbenches. I like Tristram Hunt, he's a bright guy, a great writer, who I disagree with. There's a general point about politics being professionalised."

To show I'm not being partisan about it I like Liz Kendall. She is from a similar wing in the labour party yet I like her as an MP and how she has thrown herself into her constituent MP role even though after being thoroughly rejected by the party in her leadership bid. I would be genuinely bummed if she quit.

ReputationRep:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I can't say that i agree with all the hate of him, he's not a constituency that Labour will credibly lose and therefore i don't think he's doing this to hurt Corbyn.

Rather, i think that he's experienced being a minister in government and does not see any point in waiting around at least a decade for the next one. The SS Corbyn is sinking and MP's are jumping overboard.

ReputationRep:
    Also like Reed's his seat is due to be amalgated soon...

ReputationRep:
    Rakas21

What are your thoughts on the two by elections? The Tories should throw the kitchen sink at Copeland and Ukips Nuttall ought to stand here and give it a shot. APparently the lib dems might have a fair chance here if anyone fancies a wager...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I've always had the impression with him that he was one of the labour lot who were so stuck in the blairite third way ideology (of which the pro EU, pro immigration is so unpopular now) that they don't want Labour to succeed doing anything else. He also gave that speech at Oxford or Cambridge about how it was the job of intellectuals from those places to lead labour and the plebs should not get involved beyond being passive observers.

If it weren't for the fact the party seems to be at risk of imploding getting rid of his type could be a good thing but there isn't a successful/competent left :-/

It makes sense that he is leaving from his personal perspective. He seems to be the type of labour person who was in at least party for the career and rising through the ranks, get a shadow cabinet position and then a cabinet position. That plan has gone down the toilette with the direction labour internal politics has taken and I don;t think he would be happy with being a constituent focused MP. If by some miracle Corbyn won a GE I doubt he would even want to be a cabinet member anyway.

So whilst him leaving is not really a good sign for labour, its hard to feel bad about it.

I agree with Owen Jones response to this.

"Being an MP should be a service, about representing constituents above all else, even if that means languishing on the backbenches. I like Tristram Hunt, he's a bright guy, a great writer, who I disagree with. There's a general point about politics being professionalised."

To show I'm not being partisan about it I like Liz Kendall. She is from a similar wing in the labour party yet I like her as an MP and how she has thrown herself into her constituent MP role even though after being thoroughly rejected by the party in her leadership bid. I would be genuinely bummed if she quit.

The thing is with them is that they put the economy first as if it goes to hell it's the poorest that suffer the most, simple as.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Rakas21

What are your thoughts on the two by elections? The Tories should throw the kitchen sink at Copeland and Ukips Nuttall ought to stand here and give it a shot. APparently the lib dems might have a fair chance here if anyone fancies a wager...
    Copeland - There's a strong chance that the Tories will take it. They need only a result as good as Sleakam and if the Lib Dems can pick up votes then we may win with 1000+.

Stoke - Labour have grown weaker and weaker over the last 20 years but the Tories have never gone further than the low twenties and the Kippers only got the same votes as the Tories. Labour to hold with a reduced majority, Tories probably don't step aside for the Kippers and so come second.

If Stoke were to go to an incumbent government (it did vote Brexit by 70% and the Tories can outmuscle the Kippers) then it would signal the complete collapse of the Labour vote even for a by-election.

ReputationRep:
    i thought this was Jeremy Hunt :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Copeland - There's a strong chance that the Tories will take it. They need only a result as good as Sleakam and if the Lib Dems can pick up votes then we may win with 1000+.

Stoke - Labour have grown weaker and weaker over the last 20 years but the Tories have never gone further than the low twenties and the Kippers only got the same votes as the Tories. Labour to hold with a reduced majority, Tories probably don't step aside for the Kippers and so come second.
    Any implications?

Say if Labour loses both seats? Or holds both? Do you think Ukip is a dead duck now?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Any implications?

Say if Labour loses both seats? Or holds both? Do you think Ukip is a dead duck now?
    Implications..

Lib Dems - Won't really feature in either except to drain votes, probably at a disproportionate Labour expense. It signals that they are making gains.

Kippers - Will not feature in Copeland, the question for Stoke is whether the Kippers put their leader up or concede the skeptic vote to the Tories early on. It signals that there are only select seats where the Kippers are a real threat and that across most of England, the skeptic vote is blue.

Labour - Conventional wisdom would suggest that losing a by-election followed by council losses a few weeks later would see Corbyn gone. I don't think Momentum allow this though and so losses mean nothing, holding means that the Tories should doubt the polls unless its close.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Implications..

Lib Dems - Won't really feature in either except to drain votes, probably at a disproportionate Labour expense. It signals that they are making gains.

Kippers - Will not feature in Copeland, the question for Stoke is whether the Kippers put their leader up or concede the skeptic vote to the Tories early on. It signals that there are only select seats where the Kippers are a real threat and that across most of England, the skeptic vote is blue.

Labour - Conventional wisdom would suggest that losing a by-election followed by council losses a few weeks later would see Corbyn gone. I don't think Momentum allow this though and so losses mean nothing, holding means that the Tories should doubt the polls unless its close.
    Think that's about right, could you see it resulting in an early GE (with the right results?)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Think that's about right, could you see it resulting in an early GE (with the right results?)
    Not at this stage. She wants an early election but not until the boundary review change in 2018.

ReputationRep:
    I can't really blame him for resigning. He obviously has no love for Corbyn or the rest of current regime running the Labour Party. It's also clear that he's pro-EU while it appears his consistency certainly isn't.
    He probably realised he's in a party he longer agrees with the direction of & that he's at odds with people he's supposed to represent. The private sector does tend to be better paying too although MPs are hardly on a bad wage.

Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned but I like to think there's people out there who believe that jobs in public office are about having a responsibility at least to the people in the area you represent & ideally to the nation as a whole; therefore, if you feel like you can't do your job then you should step aside.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.