The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 1
Meh, do you really need to tell anyone? What subject are you doing? For me (economics) you don't get registered at lecturs and tutorials won't have started that early, plus college probably won't notice that you're not there.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Don't tell anyone and I'll bet you seven English pounds that no one notices at all.
Hahahaha.

Don't bother.

I skipped a week and a half for a holiday in February, and no-one noticed!
Reply 4
Lol I think I'm gonna like uni even more now I know this!! MUWAHAHAHAHA!

(don't ask!)
Reply 5
Btw. I do Music so I imagine the strictness is even less
I missed about two weeks (and we have registers :O) in my first year and nobody mentioned anything. I just did the practical work in my own time and submitted it online. The work was so easy it was a complete waste of my time to even bother walking to the science site.

Likewise, my lecture attendance this year is as follows;
103 Attended and signed register (63.98%)
13 Explained absence(s) - or failure(s) to sign register (8.07%)
45 Unexplained absence(s) - or failure(s) to sign register (27.95%)

So missing one day is hardly an issue.
Reply 7
angus_mcfisher
Btw. I do Music so I imagine the strictness is even less

I've heard that *some* Music modules do take registers. Having said that, my friend who started Music last year had NO contact hours on a Friday, so unless the timetable's changed you're all set.

Plus in the first week people get lost/ are too hungover to get to places/ are like me and spend so much time looking for the place you miss it anyway.
Oh and the first lectures are usually all ****. There might be a brief introduction of the subject but all mine were essentially; do work, don't listen to second years who tell you you don't have to work in the first year, don't miss lectures (too late) yada yada. Six times over.

Plus the other guys are right, they won't notice. No one knows who you are yet :smile:
Reply 8
I know a guy who does music and he had every Thursday and Friday off for the whole year, plus only 1 exam :O
I picked the wrong degree (aside from the lack of musical talent)
Reply 9
I personally wouldn't bother telling anyone. But if you are going to miss a day and do feel the need to inform your College and department, citing a gig as your reason for not being present is probably not such a great idea. If you say you have flu, they will believe you. Infact, by October 5th, you probably will have genuine flu anyway.
Reply 10
Attendance is taken in all music lectures! You have to miss a couple for it to be followed up though I think, but they do check.

The lecturer is the person to tell, or that was the way I always did it, however I don't reckon you will actually have one on the Friday unless the timetable's changed massively so it shouldn't be a problem. If you're away from college for the night in theory you should tell reception (At Mildert there's a form to fill in which takes about 10 seconds and if I'm away from Durham I do it on my way out).
Reply 11
James.R
Attendance is taken in all music lectures! You have to miss a couple for it to be followed up though I think, but they do check.

The lecturer is the person to tell, or that was the way I always did it, however I don't reckon you will actually have one on the Friday unless the timetable's changed massively so it shouldn't be a problem. If you're away from college for the night in theory you should tell reception (At Mildert there's a form to fill in which takes about 10 seconds and if I'm away from Durham I do it on my way out).

EDIT: When I say a couple I mean a couple of successive lectures in a module. I think the theory is that you have so few music lectures that you should really be turning up for the ones you do have (the odd one excluded)

ACTUAL EDIT: Well it wasn't an edit but never mind...
Reply 12
With great power comes great responsibility... Please don't abuse the power of absences.

You get 2 weeks per term where you can self certify illnesses, and you don't have to do assignments, problem sheets... NOTHING.

Like I said... great power and great responsibility. BE GOOD!

Latest