Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Are there any tips and tricks for preparation for the multiple mini interview such as what to say and what not to and the types of questions? I would greatly appreciate any info, thx!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bryan Appu)
    Are there any tips and tricks for preparation for the multiple mini interview such as what to say and what not to and the types of questions? I would greatly appreciate any info, thx!
    Personally I think MMIs are the best interview types! (although I may be slightly bias)

There's nothing that you "shouldn't" say exactly, and the exact structure and type of MMI will depend on the university that you have the interview at. My main advice for you is that when you come out of each station, wipe the slate clean. It doesn't matter whether you just had the most horrific time and think you messed up completely, your next one is totally new and marked separately!

Be prepared for a role-play scenario or two, potentially with an actor, which may be difficult. Just think about what you would do in the actual situation, they want to know how you act under pressure. There may also be some basic maths, most likely centred around drug dosage/graphs, but all the information will be given to you.

When they ask you strange/unexpected questions, they are simply asking you why you want to be a doctor/what makes you good for the role in a way which may throw you off. If they ask you about weaknesses, always make it a positive i.e. I am naturally a shy person but come over it by .../ I can be really disorganised but I have ways of getting round this...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ax12)
    Personally I think MMIs are the best interview types! (although I may be slightly bias)

There's nothing that you "shouldn't" say exactly, and the exact structure and type of MMI will depend on the university that you have the interview at. My main advice for you is that when you come out of each station, wipe the slate clean. It doesn't matter whether you just had the most horrific time and think you messed up completely, your next one is totally new and marked separately!

Be prepared for a role-play scenario or two, potentially with an actor, which may be difficult. Just think about what you would do in the actual situation, they want to know how you act under pressure. There may also be some basic maths, most likely centred around drug dosage/graphs, but all the information will be given to you.

When they ask you strange/unexpected questions, they are simply asking you why you want to be a doctor/what makes you good for the role in a way which may throw you off. If they ask you about weaknesses, always make it a positive i.e. I am naturally a shy person but come over it by .../ I can be really disorganised but I have ways of getting round this...
    By the way, I heard that in certain stations, they may still ask questions about why you chose their university or even previous interview questions such as "Why should we choose you". Are these rumors true? Also do you happen to know any websites that provide a lot of MMI questions as the ones I have searched only give a few practice questions.

ReputationRep:
    By the way, I heard that in certain stations, they may still ask questions about why you chose their university or even previous interview questions such as "Why should we choose you". Are these rumors true? Also do you happen to know any websites that provide a lot of MMI questions as the ones I have searched only give a few practice questions.
    Yes, there is often a station focussing on more 'traditional' questions. As always though, I wouldn't rote-learn any answers, just have an idea in your head of what you want to say. I don't know of any websites, but the majority of the MMI (that I have done) didn't involve questions. We had a reading comprehension station, maths, two role play etc, with only one station with questions about me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ax12)
    Yes, there is often a station focussing on more 'traditional' questions. As always though, I wouldn't rote-learn any answers, just have an idea in your head of what you want to say. I don't know of any websites, but the majority of the MMI (that I have done) didn't involve questions. We had a reading comprehension station, maths, two role play etc, with only one station with questions about me.
    Alright thx for the info and if you don't mind me asking, which university did you attend the MMI?

ReputationRep:
    Hey so I read in many threads that its better not to mention if someone you are related to is a doctor in your med interview because it may seem as if you were pressurised into becoming a doc! But my dad is a doctor and is a HUGE part of my life and of course neither of my parents have forced me! In fact a large reason why I want to do medicine is because of all the stuff my dad tells me about his work... so do I mention this? its not really lying if I leave out this fact but should I?? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plato1)
    Hey so I read in many threads that its better not to mention if someone you are related to is a doctor in your med interview because it may seem as if you were pressurised into becoming a doc! But my dad is a doctor and is a HUGE part of my life and of course neither of my parents have forced me! In fact a large reason why I want to do medicine is because of all the stuff my dad tells me about his work... so do I mention this? its not really lying if I leave out this fact but should I?? :dontknow:
    I recently went for an interview and got an offer for one of the top private medical university in my country and I did mention about my uncles being GP's and how I aspired towards becoming like them, be it with interacting with patients in a honest and friendly manner. Honestly, I don't see any draw backs but if you can mention about what you have learned from your dad in your interview, the interviewers will definitely give you many plus points! It is also a good idea if you can share what are the traits of ideal doctors and how your voluntary work has helped you achieve these traits.

Just be honest in your answers and think like how a doctor would. Best of Luck!

ReputationRep:
    I recently went for an interview and got an offer for one of the top private medical university in my country and I did mention about my uncles being GP's and how I aspired towards becoming like them, be it with interacting with patients in a honest and friendly manner. Honestly, I don't see any draw backs but if you can mention about what you have learned from your dad in your interview, the interviewers will definitely give you many plus points! It is also a good idea if you can share what are the traits of ideal doctors and how your voluntary work has helped you achieve these traits.

Just be honest in your answers and think like how a doctor would. Best of Luck!
    Wow thank you so much that was really helpful! Congrats on the offer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plato1)
    Wow thank you so much that was really helpful! Congrats on the offer!
    No prob!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.