The Student Room Group

Trump is the first real American president

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
If it were purely population it might changed at every election

Nah, it would be based on each state's representation in the House only, whose seats are reapportioned every ten years after a census. That wouldn't need to change. The difference is usually quite small over a decade or two anyway.
No matter if you like or hate trump you should be hoping and wanting him to do well, especially with trade deals to Britain.
and anyone complaining about popular vote Hillary and Trump knew the rules and how to win, Trump did not cheat(I dont know about rigging and things like that, the news is too biased) and popular vote does not mean a win in American politics
Original post by AperfectBalance
No matter if you like or hate trump you should be hoping and wanting him to do well, especially with trade deals to Britain.

This is certainly true.

The USA was presented with a choice between a probable crook and a blustering, bullying idiot this time around. The real failure of the system was in not weeding them out early in the process.

You never know, Trump could (a) not be anything like his pre-inauguration persona in practice and in private and (b) could be a success. We'll have to wait, see and hope.
Original post by Good bloke
This is certainly true.

The USA was presented with a choice between a probable crook and a blustering, bullying idiot this time around. The real failure of the system was in not weeding them out early in the process.

You never know, Trump could (a) not be anything like his pre-inauguration persona in practice and in private and (b) could be a success. We'll have to wait, see and hope.

Exactly, In my opinion if Hillary got in she would have easily been able to put foward bills that would be very bad for the country but I belive that trumps advisors and co can make sure that some of the more stupid ideas never get realised.

Lets hope for the best.
Reply 24
Original post by Drewski
A man who's a billionaire owing to money that was leant to him by a vastly wealthy father is not overpriviledged? ...

Conversely, you're saying most Americans are billionaires...?

I am not talking about Trump himself but the type of people he represents but you are right, Trump is certainly overpriviledged.
Why? Was every other president not 'really American'? :rolleyes:
Reply 26
Original post by Lord Gaben
I hope he is a successful president, and puts Britain at the front of the queue for new trade deals.

Trade deals are only good if Britain benefits, we don't know what sort of trade deals are being offered. The US might want more access to Britain to export more cheap GM food and threaten the livelihoods of British farmers.

There is also issue that the stuff Britain exports to the EU will not be wanted by US consumers or they want it at a price that is not economical to produce.
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Why? Was every other president not 'really American'? :rolleyes:

Read the OP...
Original post by Hydeman
Read the OP...

I did......

I was trying to be funny....
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
I did......

I was trying to be funny....

Ah, right. Sorry, I misunderstood.
Original post by Hydeman
Ah, right. Sorry, I misunderstood.

Meh, my humour is weird.
HAZAR
Original post by Maker
I am not talking about Trump himself but the type of people he represents but you are right, Trump is certainly overpriviledged.

But he doesn't represent them.
Original post by Hydeman
Neither did Clinton, or anyone else. Had it been a popular contest, there would have been a run-off.

Well, there might have been, or Clinton might have been declared the winner on the basis of a plurality, it depends what system they chose.

But it is worth pointing out that the US presidential electoral system is essentially a electoral system adapted from a selection system. The initial system of electors being chosen by states was meant to reflect a level of primacy of the states as constitutive units of the US as a whole. Nowadays, however, the states are just more like administrative divisions.
Original post by Drewski
A man who's a billionaire owing to money that was leant to him by a vastly wealthy father is not overpriviledged? ...

Conversely, you're saying most Americans are billionaires...?

Trump was so into the real estate game I'm positive he could have come up with the one million from somewhere else. A lot of people get large loans from family to startup a business and go broke. The loan from his father was not in anyway a guarantee of success. It's a lot of business deals between a million and a billion. As far as over privileged is concerned, his being enrolled in a prestigious military academy when he was young is more of a sign of being over privileged than a business loan from family.
Original post by oldercon1953
The loan from his father was not in anyway a guarantee of success.

Indeed, the easiest and most common way to be the owner of a million is to start off with two million.
Original post by Trinculo
I think Teddy Roosevelt would contest that title. He was an actual cowboy and also resigned from government to fight in the Spanish-American War.

Andrew Jackson is an even stronger contender.
Lol Drumpf is about as American as I am. Born with one silver spoon in his mouth, another up his a***, i don't think he resonates with the average America, other than personality-wise but this is just a generalization for white americans.
(edited 7 years ago)
Waahhh why do other people not agree with my lefty hogwash.
Triggered

Quick Reply