Turn on thread page Beta

Is it inappropriate to give a bottle of wine to your lecturer as a gift? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    The question is kind of obvious but I will give more details:

I have this lecturer that I really respect and like, he is in his mid-50 I would say, he's extremely shy but we kind of get along everytime I go to his office (nothing more than just a few chats and questions related to the lectures) but there is a good friendly connection

I wanted to get him something to basically thank him for all the efforts he has made to answer my questions and just for being so nice

I wanted to get him a bottle of Algerian wine (since I am Algerian), I thought it would be great to get him something that unusual and so hard to find in the UK.

I have discussed it with a friend and he said that it seems kind of inappropriate, I dont want to seem like I am hitting on him, and most importantly, I don't want to make him incomfortable

To me it seems really normal to get gifts to a lecturer but I guess these are just conflicting cultural codes

Should I get him that bottle of wine?

ReputationRep:
    Its only inappropriate if you don't drink it with her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariakrelifa50)
    Hey,
    The question is kind of obvious but I will give more details:

I have this lecturer that I really respect and like, he is in his mid-50 I would say, he's extremely shy but we kind of get along everytime I go to his office (nothing more than just a few chats and questions related to the lectures) but there is a good friendly connection

I wanted to get him something to basically thank him for all the efforts he has made to answer my questions and just for being so nice

I wanted to get him a bottle of Algerian wine (since I am Algerian), I thought it would be great to get him something that unusual and so hard to find in the UK.

I have discussed it with a friend and he said that it seems kind of inappropriate, I dont want to seem like I am hitting on him, and most importantly, I don't want to make him incomfortable

To me it seems really normal to get gifts to a lecturer but I guess these are just conflicting cultural codes

Should I get him that bottle of wine?
    Why would he think your hitting on him, you don't swing for the other team do you?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.