The Student Room Group

Is it inappropriate to give a bottle of wine to your lecturer as a gift?

Hey,
The question is kind of obvious but I will give more details:

I have this lecturer that I really respect and like, he is in his mid-50 I would say, he's extremely shy but we kind of get along everytime I go to his office (nothing more than just a few chats and questions related to the lectures) but there is a good friendly connection

I wanted to get him something to basically thank him for all the efforts he has made to answer my questions and just for being so nice

I wanted to get him a bottle of Algerian wine (since I am Algerian), I thought it would be great to get him something that unusual and so hard to find in the UK.

I have discussed it with a friend and he said that it seems kind of inappropriate, I dont want to seem like I am hitting on him, and most importantly, I don't want to make him incomfortable

To me it seems really normal to get gifts to a lecturer but I guess these are just conflicting cultural codes

Should I get him that bottle of wine?
Its only inappropriate if you don't drink it with her. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Original post by mariakrelifa50
Hey,
The question is kind of obvious but I will give more details:

I have this lecturer that I really respect and like, he is in his mid-50 I would say, he's extremely shy but we kind of get along everytime I go to his office (nothing more than just a few chats and questions related to the lectures) but there is a good friendly connection

I wanted to get him something to basically thank him for all the efforts he has made to answer my questions and just for being so nice

I wanted to get him a bottle of Algerian wine (since I am Algerian), I thought it would be great to get him something that unusual and so hard to find in the UK.

I have discussed it with a friend and he said that it seems kind of inappropriate, I dont want to seem like I am hitting on him, and most importantly, I don't want to make him incomfortable

To me it seems really normal to get gifts to a lecturer but I guess these are just conflicting cultural codes

Should I get him that bottle of wine?

Why would he think your hitting on him, you don't swing for the other team do you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending