Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    So far I've put Falmouth and Norwich down to study animation at, but I still have 3 choices left.
    I was thinking of maybe Bournemouth Uni, Arts University Bournemouth and then filling the last space with the Digital Arts course at Kent as a back up since it's just down the road, however my personal statement is focused on animation rather than digital arts as a whole. Would this be a wasted option?

What are the other best places to study animation at in the UK? I suggested Worcester, Gloucestershire and Teesside to my tutor and he laughed and said they 'weren't even on the radar'.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by ClockworkPaws)
    Hi!
    So far I've put Falmouth and Norwich down to study animation at, but I still have 3 choices left.
    I was thinking of maybe Bournemouth Uni, Arts University Bournemouth and then filling the last space with the Digital Arts course at Kent as a back up since it's just down the road, however my personal statement is focused on animation rather than digital arts as a whole. Would this be a wasted option?

What are the other best places to study animation at in the UK? I suggested Worcester, Gloucestershire and Teesside to my tutor and he laughed and said they 'weren't even on the radar'.
    http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/2d-an...-digital-media
    or
    http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/3d-co...-and-modelling

(depending on whether you're more interested in 3d or 2d - they're both quite computer based but so is the Bournemouth animation course)

Teesside is excellent for computer games design and related courses (so your tutor is talking crap there - the university pretty much sparked a renewal of the UK games industry single handed!) - but given you're also applying to Falmouth, NUA and AUB then I'm guessing you're interested in more drawing/story telling animation.

http://creativeskillset.org/search/3...=Undergraduate is a useful place to find courses that are industry approved.

http://courses.uwe.ac.uk/W615 isn't on the skillset list but is a good course

ReputationRep:
    I'm uncertain as a whole about studying animation - I love both art AND computer technology so I'd like a good mix. It's sometimes hard to see which courses are more creative and which are more technical - I wish there was a chart for it
    Thank you for the advice - personally I agree with you about Teesside and my tutor (he's a real assh*le, pardon my french), but personally I don' think I'd like to live in such an industrial place. I checked out Worcester and Staffordshire but have no idea whether they're reputable places to study animation.

My only issue with Hertfordshire is that you do have to choose 3D or 2D right off the bat, and as CGI is more stable but I have never done it before, I would be a bit forced to choose 2D.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I'm uncertain as a whole about studying animation - I love both art AND computer technology so I'd like a good mix. It's sometimes hard to see which courses are more creative and which are more technical - I wish there was a chart for it
    Thank you for the advice - personally I agree with you about Teesside and my tutor (he's a real assh*le, pardon my french), but personally I don' think I'd like to live in such an industrial place. I checked out Worcester and Staffordshire but have no idea whether they're reputable places to study animation.

My only issue with Hertfordshire is that you do have to choose 3D or 2D right off the bat, and as CGI is more stable but I have never done it before, I would be a bit forced to choose 2D.
    At Herts - the modules for year 1 for the two courses are identical (it's only in second year that the modules differentiate for 2d and 3d). Give them a quick ring to ask about whether it's possible to switch partway through the course (and if so when that is no longer an option).
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi!

Hi there,

Are you planning to study in London?

We do BA Animation course too! why don't you check us out during an Open day to see it for yourself?

Hope this helps!
    Ahlia
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative

Hi ClockworkPaws,

Most universities will have the modules you will study listed on their website which should make the split between technical and creative a bit clearer.

Our Animation course focuses on practice rather than theory and is a fairly even mix of creative and technical skills. Obviously you choose what you would like to develop as the course carries on.

You can see the modules on offer here and find out more about the staff who who would be teaching you too. Our students have just produced a showreel which shows off some of the great work they have been producing and as you can see, it is a really varied mix of styles.

We may be slightly biased but Cheltenham is a great place to live and study, if you have any questions, just let me know!

Maria at the University of Gloucestershire

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/2d-an...-digital-media
    or
    http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/3d-co...-and-modelling

(depending on whether you're more interested in 3d or 2d - they're both quite computer based but so is the Bournemouth animation course)

Teesside is excellent for computer games design and related courses (so your tutor is talking crap there - the university pretty much sparked a renewal of the UK games industry single handed!) - but given you're also applying to Falmouth, NUA and AUB then I'm guessing you're interested in more drawing/story telling animation.

http://creativeskillset.org/search/3...=Undergraduate is a useful place to find courses that are industry approved.

http://courses.uwe.ac.uk/W615 isn't on the skillset list but is a good course
    As much as I like the idea of Hert's, I've heard some bad stuff about them. And plus it can be pretty hard to get into. But good luck in deciding!

ReputationRep:
    This is copied and pasted from another thread similar to this that I commented in!

I'm applying to:

1. University of Hertfordshire - 2D Animation & Character Media (With year abroad)
    2. Arts University Bournemouth - Animation Production
    3. Kingston University - Illustration Animation
    4. Wesminster University - Animation (I just dropped out of thie choice)
    5. University of South Wales - Game Art

Hertfordshire looks really good. They're only 2D based and it also has a year abroad which is why it's my top choice. The campus is lovely and even though it's in Hatfield, there's a only 20 min train ride to the center of London! The student work looks amazing too.

Bournemouth, from what I can see, has the best reputation for animation in the UK. I'll be going there for an interview soon, but I haven't visited it. The course is Animation Production. Apparently it's definitely 2D based but with some 3D work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.