The Student Room Group

University of Essex MH Nursing Sept 2017 - mature student worries!

Hi all

I am 40 years old and have applied for the Mental Health Nursing BSc at the University of Essex for September 2017.

I am excited and nervous all at the same time!

I am worried that I am too old. I am worried that even if I do get an interview that I will fail the Maths test. I have my GCSE in Maths and have studied engineering to post grad level but I have zero confidence with maths.

I have also read some awful accounts on various groups of how students can be treated on placement and how stressful it is because of that. I am not scared of the work load but I am anxious about how I will be treated as a student nurse.

I would really appreciate any insight and advice. Thank you so much :smile:
You are not too old.
Google nursing numeracy practice tests and go over those to gain some confidence.
Use your maturity and life experience if/when confronted by less than supportive mentors, placements don't last for ever.
Enjoy your three years. It goes very quickly!
Good luck.
Reply 2
Thank you :smile:
Hi! I'm starting Mental Health Nursing in Cardiff in March as a mature student (late 30s) .
I reckon you will do fine on the Maths test, you are clearly capable by your qualifications, maybe just do some practice to build up your confidence.
Apparently there are often mature students on this course, I think they are welcomed as life experience must be a great help in relating to people - we've had twice as much practice as someone straight out of school!
My biggest worry is the learning, it takes a lot longer at my age now than it did when I was younger.
I've not heard about student nurses being treated badly in this area. I did know some student nurses who were treated badly in adult nursing 15 years ago but that was a one-off ward with a nightmare manager. I don't think you get to be a mental health ward manager without being good at relating to and supporting people. I've worked as a support worker and staff have been very helpful when I've been new to a ward so I can't see that they would be any other way to student nurses. Maybe it depends on the trust, the trust where I've been working I think is very good.
Good luck and if you want to stay in touch lets see how we both get on!
Original post by Catleigh
Hi all

I am 40 years old and have applied for the Mental Health Nursing BSc at the University of Essex for September 2017.

I am excited and nervous all at the same time!

I am worried that I am too old. I am worried that even if I do get an interview that I will fail the Maths test. I have my GCSE in Maths and have studied engineering to post grad level but I have zero confidence with maths.

I have also read some awful accounts on various groups of how students can be treated on placement and how stressful it is because of that. I am not scared of the work load but I am anxious about how I will be treated as a student nurse.

I would really appreciate any insight and advice. Thank you so much :smile:

Hi Catleigh, I am a mature student too, and I have applied for Adult Nursing at the University of Essex, have you heard anything yet, have you applied to any other universities? I applied to Anglia Ruskin (Unsuccessful) Bedfordshire (Offer with conditions), West London (Interview date set) and South Bank (Waiting on response following interview). I am super excited but no firm offer yet.

Have you been offered a place at Essex?
Does anybody on here know how long the University of Essex take to invite you to interview, I am still waiting and haven't heard anything but pretty sure others have attended interviews and so on just hope I am not in the rejected pile? please help!
dont worry your life skills will be an advantage. if you have been away from studying for a while it may take a bit to get in the swing but just hold on.it will get easier. you wont be picked on for being older and at 40 you will know how to deal with the odd bully that you will meet. your fellow students no matter what age will look beyond your age. ive noticed that us older folks speak out more the young ones just sit quietly and dont interact. this makes lessons boring. if you interact the tutors become friendlier. the only thing that seems odd isthat theyoung ones seem glued to their phones they seem scared to be apart from them.
Hi all, Has anyone on here been asked to provide additional information in support of their application, for example, copies of certificates/ another academic reference? and if so how long should the universities take to let you know the decision? I applied end of Nov 16 and still waiting Should I be worried or do I wait it out? I've heard others have interviews coming up for the same course and university choice, what should I do? Please help

Please reply somebody! :wink:
Reply 8
Thank you all for the advice and support - much appreciated.

I applied to Essex and Hertfordshire just before the deadline. I have been offered an interview at Hertfordshire but not heard anything from Essex yet.
I was offered a place at Essex but decided to firm ARU, if it helps I was rubbish at maths (think counting on my fingers, iffy with 7 and 8 times tables) and managed to get 100% in both num/lit tests. As long as you can work out basic medical calculations (e.g. if a patient needs 100mg of Drug X, and Drug X comes in 50mg tablets, how many tablets should you give your patient?) you'll be fine.
Hey everyone, Does Uni of Essex send interview invitations via letter for nursing courses, I can see some universities are different some send them through UCAS and email?

I applied to Essex and Hertfordshire just before the deadline. I have been offered an interview at Hertfordshire but not heard anything from Essex yet.

Hi Catleigh, Which course did you apply for, I applied to Essex as well. I applied to study Adult Nursing? I am still waiting they requested copies of my certificates and a 2nd academic reference back in Dec 2016.
Anybody on here waiting on Uni of Essex?
Reply 13
you have nothing to fear. My son is in year six and he did those maths. Practice bbc bitesize. Good luck.
Original post by Antwan73
you have nothing to fear. My son is in year six and he did those maths. Practice bbc bitesize. Good luck.

Thanks, Antwan. Having been out of school for a while now it's the maths aspect of the interview that I'm most worried about!

Hi Catleigh, I too waited ages for Essex to get back to me, and found out today my application was unsuccessful :frown: they do take their time, if your worried you should give admissions a call because the patience gets a bit much. Good luck and I hope they get back to you soon! Keep us updated :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending