Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has the crises team diagnosed me wrong? Watch

So I've been having angry outbursts for about once a week for the last 2 months.

I've my local area crises team visit and they have visited me for 7 days and chartered down my progress and any suspicious health affects they could find.

I've told them I'm feeling generally very positive about my life, I'm looking for graduate level jobs, I'm feel confident, good about my career and I'm well organised and motivated due to the fact I'm going to be starting my career, I have things to look forward to (which they are unaware of) and there are other things to enjoy too.

So they have been coming for my house for the past week every day to see how I am.

The doctor had diagnosed me with 'stress psychosis' and he said I need to take medication which will help me feel better, think more clearer and help me to be more organised and motivated. He also said I'm a bit suspicious and have paranoid thoughts. I feel to an extent, everyone worries, I worry about getting a job.

I do go to sleep at 8.30pm at times, however, so what? It's not everytime, just now.

My sister also said I stopped going to parties and that's a sign there is something wrong with me. So what is I didn't go to the last 2 parties? Do I have to go?

The thing is, I am very motivated, organised and in general positive. I just felt it was exaggerated, they don't know how I think, they only sit with me for 20 mins for the last 7 days asking how I feel.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Diagnoses in the mental health world are rather fragile. It's quite common to be misdiagnosed. I'm not saying that this has happened here, but there is no harm in asking for a second opinion from another doctor.

Thank you very much for your opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you very much for your opinion.
    Id agree with Airmed. People are commonly pigeonholed into diagnoses. Get a second opinion from a doctor you can trust (easier said than done i know!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I've been having angry outbursts for about once a week for the last 2 months.

I've my local area crises team visit and they have visited me for 7 days and chartered down my progress and any suspicious health affects they could find.

I've told them I'm feeling generally very positive about my life, I'm looking for graduate level jobs, I'm feel confident, good about my career and I'm well organised and motivated due to the fact I'm going to be starting my career, I have things to look forward to (which they are unaware of) and there are other things to enjoy too.

So they have been coming for my house for the past week every day to see how I am.

The doctor had diagnosed me with 'stress psychosis' and he said I need to take medication which will help me feel better, think more clearer and help me to be more organised and motivated. He also said I'm a bit suspicious and have paranoid thoughts. I feel to an extent, everyone worries, I worry about getting a job.

I do go to sleep at 8.30pm at times, however, so what? It's not everytime, just now.

My sister also said I stopped going to parties and that's a sign there is something wrong with me. So what is I didn't go to the last 2 parties? Do I have to go?

The thing is, I am very motivated, organised and in general positive. I just felt it was exaggerated, they don't know how I think, they only sit with me for 20 mins for the last 7 days asking how I feel.
    Ok so you have some anger issues and that's the reason you get visits from crisis team every day? It's very strange, to be honest. Unless there's something you're not telling us. Did you beat someone up or threaten suicide or something like that?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Are you keeping a diary of your feelings / behaviour? if you disagree with the diagnosis, it may help them to get a better diagnosis.

ReputationRep:
    As Airmed has said! And yeah you're right diagnosing someone at the drop of a hat on the basis of short consultation doesn't seem that reliable. The only thing is that certain diagnoses can open doors to particular types of more intensive treatment. That could explain the disparity between how you're experiencing things and their take on it. Either way there's no harm in getting another opinion and speaking to friends and family who've seen you regularly over the relevant period of time.

Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions.

They have put on medication to make you feel better for the next 6 months minimum.

If I'm honest, I only get angry once a week and that is only for 10 seconds. The angry feeling is due to the peristent negativity, bully behaviour from my uncle and aunt's.

It doesn't help that when my sister spoke to the crises team she think 'I overthink many things' when I said I got bullied which in fact did happen and some of the crises team on their daily visits actually think 'I perceive things differently' when in fact the bullying did happen.

It doesn't help they think I'm dis organised and not motivated which in fact I am very organised and motivated.

My sister says I talk to myself and it's actually preparing myself for something like approaching women.

So they may take my sister's word over mine.

ReputationRep:
    If this is your first experience of psychosis, you will be on medication for at least 12 months - this is stated via NHS. You'll also be offered therapy once you stabilise

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.