Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in year 9 and about to choose my options for GCSE, but I'm not quite sure which science course to choose. You see, I am an extremely bright student and am aiming high in life ( I'd like to study medicine at university and become an anesthetist consultant when I'm older ). I'm in the top set science in my school and they're offering us combined ( triple, double science ) but also separate science. I was just wondering which path would be right for me to take, because I've asked my teacher which one would be better to take but I never get a straight answer ( she likes to waffle on). I'd like to know what would be best for me. Thank you xX

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxhazalxxx1)
    I am currently in year 9 and about to choose my options for GCSE, but I'm not quite sure which science course to choose. You see, I am an extremely bright student and am aiming high in life ( I'd like to study medicine at university and become an anesthetist consultant when I'm older ). I'm in the top set science in my school and they're offering us combined ( triple, double science ) but also separate science. I was just wondering which path would be right for me to take, because I've asked my teacher which one would be better to take but I never get a straight answer ( she likes to waffle on). I'd like to know what would be best for me. Thank you xX
    Hiya,

Is the exam board aqa? I did aqa triple science which was 1 paper for each science and each paper was worth 1 GCSE. Most of friends did double science which was 2 papers, worth 2 GCSEs in total and each paper was a mixture of all the sciences. What is separate science?

ReputationRep:
    I did OCR separate sciences. We did the exact same exams as the people doing double award, but then we had 3 extra exams at the end (one on B7, one on C7 and one on P7).
    If you're hoping to do medicine its probably best to do separate science, plus it also kind of eases you into the science A levels. As one girl in my chemistry & biology class at A level really struggles, and she's the only one i know who did double award at GCSE and then took the sciences at A level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VioletPhillippo)
    Hiya,

Is the exam board aqa? I did aqa triple science which was 1 paper for each science and each paper was worth 1 GCSE. Most of friends did double science which was 2 papers, worth 2 GCSEs in total and each paper was a mixture of all the sciences. What is separate science?
    They haven't told us which exam boated they will be using yet, my school said they will tell us when we have decided which one they will be taking. Don't quote me on this, but separate science is when you study each science in depth, but separately and the course will be listed individualally to each science. It won't be under the name triple science or science it will be chemistry then physics and Biology

ReputationRep:
    They haven't told us which exam boated they will be using yet, my school said they will tell us when we have decided which one they will be taking. Don't quote me on this, but separate science is when you study each science in depth, but separately and the course will be listed individualally to each science. It won't be under the name triple science or science it will be chemistry then physics and Biology
    It sounds like separate science is similar to triple science in the sense that you do separate papers for each science. If you enjoy science then I would go for separate science as it will give you some foundation for A-Level science and help you to develop scientific skills (using equipment, drawing graphs properly). This will be beneficial if you'd like to do medicine

ReputationRep:
    If you want to study medicine then go for seperate science i.e. GCSE Chemistry, Physics & Biology.

ReputationRep:
    Well I did Double Science (essentially combined) for 2 months, but I found the pace too slow and I just wanted to jump ahead and so I begged the teachers to let me change to separate and I worked hard and caught up on the content in my own time and I much prefer it

Basically, it depends what kind of learner you are - if you like things to be slow and steady, then I would advise combined. If you like knowing a lot of information and are very passionate about all 3 sciences then I would advise separate. In my school, no matter which science pathway you chose you got 3 optional GCSEs (so double award had 1 less GCSE) but I know in some schools you will get the same amount of GCSEs, as they get an additional option. But the number of GCSEs doesn't matter all that much tbh.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.