Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Things in my house have been going terrible lately. I am moving away for university and my parents aren't happy about this. They refuse to support my student application and have anything to do with me. This is due to the fact they don't like the debt and believe it doesn't matter where you get your degree. I really want to move for university and I am adamant that I do so. I already have a part-time job (which I can commute to for a day if I cannot get a transfer), I have savings, scholarships and the basic non-means tested maintenance loan. Its going to be tough but I think I can do it.

However, my perseverance to go has caused almost irreparable strain with me and my parents. They refuse to talk to me. My dad in particular is incredibly rude, calling my degree worthless (Computer Science). He claims that I'm a stupid person, dumb and said that due to my "attitude" I should start finding somewhere else to live. He's also claimed numerous times to want to "knock me out". I'm 18 right now, I'll be 19 in three months.

What exactly am I going to do? Shall I move out into a house share? I've spoke with helplines and they suggest I do. What if I lose my job? How do I move and most importantly, what about University? Would being thrown out mean I am an "estranged student". I'm going to talk to my college about this on Monday, but I'm not sure if I should really move out or not?

I really need the help and suggestions.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Things in my house have been going terrible lately. I am moving away for university and my parents aren't happy about this. They refuse to support my student application and have anything to do with me. This is due to the fact they don't like the debt and believe it doesn't matter where you get your degree. I really want to move for university and I am adamant that I do so. I already have a part-time job (which I can commute to for a day if I cannot get a transfer), I have savings, scholarships and the basic non-means tested maintenance loan. Its going to be tough but I think I can do it.

However, my perseverance to go has caused almost irreparable strain with me and my parents. They refuse to talk to me. My dad in particular is incredibly rude, calling my degree worthless (Computer Science). He claims that I'm a stupid person, dumb and said that due to my "attitude" I should start finding somewhere else to live. He's also claimed numerous times to want to "knock me out". I'm 18 right now, I'll be 19 in three months.

What exactly am I going to do? Shall I move out into a house share? I've spoke with helplines and they suggest I do. What if I lose my job? How do I move and most importantly, what about University? Would being thrown out mean I am an "estranged student". I'm going to talk to my college about this on Monday, but I'm not sure if I should really move out or not?

Definitely talk to your college, and consider a visit to the Citizen's Advice Bureau (CAB) as well. With things being so hostile at home you might find it better to move out, but would you be able to afford rent with your job? If you can, definitely consider it. Contact student finance and ask what would happen in that situation, and they'll be able to help you figure that part out as well

(Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Definitely talk to your college, and consider a visit to the Citizen's Advice Bureau (CAB) as well. With things being so hostile at home you might find it better to move out, but would you be able to afford rent with your job? If you can, definitely consider it. Contact student finance and ask what would happen in that situation, and they'll be able to help you figure that part out as well

I totally agree with you too! The best thing you can do is trust your instinct. Get help from as many people as you can. In regards to student finance, ring your firm choice university and explain your situation, they might have a special program put in place for these kind of situations. Also consider if there is a family member who you could stay with?

ReputationRep:

Calculate exactly how much money you need to survive 3 x years of uni, renting, bills, living expenses, including rises. Then total up all the money you have so far (don't count your job) and see where that leaves you. Then you'll know how long you can survive without your job.

If you do decide to move out, don't be a total spend freak and live frugally. You will need a reserve of money to deal unexpected problems like losing your job, getting ill, going to interviews/placements/buying books/losing your flatshare etc.

(Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    I will definitely be talking to my personal tutor at college about this. I need someone who can vouch for me and my struggle when the time comes. Things are really hostile here, I feel like I'm hated in my own home, I don't even like eating here anymore. I would be able to afford rent with my job, I get around £280 a month with no extra hours. I've seen rooms for £200 a month with bills included. It would be a stretch living off £80 a month but I think I'd be able to do it. Also, I think that because I'm 18 and in college, I may be entitled to some form of benefits to help me pay my rent, but I'd have to go to the Bureau for this.

I'll contact Student Finances tomorrow and explain my situation.

(Original post by ThePricklyOne)
    Calculate exactly how much money you need to survive 3 x years of uni, renting, bills, living expenses, including rises. Then total up all the money you have so far (don't count your job) and see where that leaves you. Then you'll know how long you can survive without your job.

If you do decide to move out, don't be a total spend freak and live frugally. You will need a reserve of money to deal unexpected problems like losing your job, getting ill, going to interviews/placements/buying books/losing your flatshare etc.
    I suppose my reserve of money will be my savings for now, I have just over £2k. Taking this, the basic maintenance loan which is £3.8k, my part-time job and a scholarship of £1k, I think I'd be able to get through university. I'd have to keep saving and try to stay as far away from my savings as possible for ensuring I have back up in case I lose my job or something.

My accommodation for university would be £3.3K, also, I'd need to find somewhere to stay in the holidays.

This is all so stressful, I just want to go to uni.

I also have to think about how I will leave. Do I just pack up my things and go?

ReputationRep:
    I also have to think about how I will leave. Do I just pack up my things and go?
    Depends on your relationship with your folks. If the relationship is really bad, you might have to slowly move stuff to a friends house before legging it. Be sure to change your address details with uni/student loans/friends/job/landlord (as appro to your situation) before hand if you plan to do a runner. Save you having to go back to parents' place to pick up your mail and stuff (and deal with the aggro).

ReputationRep:

Hi there, I wondered would you be interested in making real friendships through TSR and perhaps form an estrangement support group? I have recently put up a thread, for people looking to make real friendships on TSR. Not just online friends but an actual support group. Please get in touch with me https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...0#post70678020 speak to you soon!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:

My accommodation for university would be £3.3K, also, I'd need to find somewhere to stay in the holidays.

This is all so stressful, I just want to go to uni.
    If you stay in halls for the first year, the contract is usually around 40 weeks, which covers you until around July. If you move to a houseshare (which might be cheaper) for your second year, the contract may start from June / July.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.