Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I go to the dentist in March and would've had my 18th birthday by then. I'm currently in sixth form and will be until I am 19. Will I need to pay for braces if they have to be kept on for longer than a year? Say until I'm 20 and not in the sixth form? Or will it be free because I received them when I was 18 and in full-time education? It would only be to fix one tooth that's out of place, so would it take longer than a year?

ReputationRep:
    You only get braces free til 16.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Age aside, if you've only got one tooth out of place, you'd be getting them for cosmetic purposes and for that reason you'd have to pay.

ReputationRep:
    I got braces when I was 16 ish and had them removed when I was 19. You only pay for braces if you are over the age of 18 WHEN you get them put on. Although you only get braces free on the NHS if your out of place teeth affect your bite. I believe you need to have an underbite/overbite of greater than 5mm or something. Not sure specific numbers.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.