Turn on thread page Beta

Top 20 universities for law a definitive list? watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I hear talks about the top 20 but never seen someone state who they are. Is it the top 20 in the Times league tables or something different? j/w

Any help greatfully appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford
    Cambs
    Durham
    LSE
    UCL
    Kings
    Sheffield
    Manchester
    Birmingham
    Leeds
    Warwick
    Nottingham
    Bristol
    Newcastle
    Leicester
    Cardiff
    UEA
    Exeter
    Liverpool
    Soton

^ In no particular order, except with Ox, Cam, Durham, Notts and UCL at the top.

IMO of course. Oh and don't pay too much attention to the league tables. The best gauge of a schools' reputation is who recruits there. Keele and Kent are above places like Newcastle, Sheffield, Cardiff, Soton etc. How many MC firms do you know that recruit there? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitriol)
    IMO of course.
    I didn't think Liverpool would be in the top 20.

Edit: Never actually knew Liverpool were one of the Russell Group members. http://education.guardian.co.uk/spec...884690,00.html

The English members of the Russell Group are: Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Imperial College, Kings College London, Leeds, Liverpool, London School of Economics, Manchester, Newcastle, Nottingham, Oxford, Sheffield, Southampton, University College London and Warwick. The other members are Cardiff, Edinburgh and Glasgow.
    Oh and don't pay too much attention to the league tables. The best gauge of a schools' reputation is who recruits there. Keele and Kent are above places like Newcastle, Sheffield, Cardiff, Soton etc. How many MC firms do you know that recruit there? :P
    I know. I also get told to look out for the 5* universities, which include places like Keele and Queen Mary. So you shouldn't pay too much attention to that either I guess. I was thinking of Queen Mary's over Liverpool at one point on the basis of the RAE score and I liked their intellectual property research site and hope to go to some lectures. But I can always go to another university and travel there instead.

ReputationRep:
    QM has a dodgy reputation in the City, as far as I know and, to be honest, I've never heard of anyone at any big firm from Keele.

If you're considering Scots law, Edinburgh should of course be in there but it doesn't give you an exempting English law degree. You'd need to take the CPE after graduation.

ReputationRep:
    QM has a dodgy reputation in the City, as far as I know and, to be honest, I've never heard of anyone at any big firm from Keele.
    Thanks for that.

If you're considering Scots law, Edinburgh should of course be in there but it doesn't give you an exempting English law degree. You'd need to take the CPE after graduation.
    Only interested in English law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Okay so I hear talks about the top 20 but never seen someone state who they are. Is it the top 20 in the Times league tables or something different? j/w

Any help greatfully appreciated.
    I view the top twenty as the following (in no apparent order)

Kings
    Edinburgh
    Queens Belfast
    SOAS
    Bristol
    Warwick
    Durham
    UCL
    Manchester
    Nottingham
    LSE
    Leicester
    Birmingham
    Essex
    Queen Mary London
    Reading
    Aberdeen
    Glasgow
    Dundee
    Leeds

Wise words above regarding recruitment grounds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    I view the top twenty as the following (in no apparent order)

Kings
    Edinburgh
    Queens Belfast
    SOAS
    Bristol
    Warwick
    Durham
    UCL
    Manchester
    Nottingham
    LSE
    Leicester
    Birmingham
    Essex
    Queen Mary London
    Reading
    Aberdeen
    Glasgow
    Dundee
    Leeds

Wise words above regarding recruitment grounds.
    I wouldn't consider the following to be in the top 20 myself which you listed above:

Essex
    Queen Mary
    Reading
    Dundee

How can you not have Liverpool? How dare you class Liverpool over Queen Mary

Also Oxford and Cambridge are not in your top 20 either! Wise words eh?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't consider the following to be in the top 20 myself which you listed above:

Essex
    Queen Mary
    Reading
    Dundee

How can you not have Liverpool? How dare you class Liverpool over Queen Mary

Also Oxford and Cambridge are not in your top 20 either! Wise words eh?
    We both know why 'they whose name we shall not speak' are absent Seriously though, I heard Essex has quite a good law dept, Reading too and Queen Mary?! How the fu*k did that get there?, Liverpool was supposed to be in its place, honest!

ReputationRep:
    We both know why 'they whose name we shall not speak' are absent
    Indeed.

Seriously though, I heard Essex has quite a good law dept, Reading too and Queen Mary?! How the fu*k did that get there?
    Well Reading do have a good law department but whether it makes them in the top 20 is a different matter. City is apparently good but look at them.

Don't knock Queen Mary, you're developing the typical UoL student attitude. They may not be as great as some of those in the top 20. However, they nevertheless have a 5*B RAE score for law. This is higher than some of the Russell Group members. Queen Mary have a decent intellectual property research centre, which I hope to take advantage of. So presumably if you are reading intelelctual property at masters level or something similar then perhaps this is good for your CV. Only Oxford has an intellectual property which have so many public lectures compared to Queen Mary. I've yet to go there as well, but once I go to both I will be more wiser.

Liverpool was supposed to be in its place, honest!
    Hmmm. Yes Liverpool need to up their RAE score though. If I make student status with them I will inform them. I'm interested in the logistics of RAE scores so hopefully a willing member of staff will tell me. Liverpool used to be a 3B! Not good.

ReputationRep:
    Don't knock Queen Mary, you're developing the typical UoL student attitude. They may not be as great as some of those in the top 20. However, they nevertheless have a 5*B RAE score for law. This is higher than some of the Russell Group members. Queen Mary have a decent intellectual property research centre, which I hope to take advantage of. So presumably if you are reading intelelctual property at masters level or something similar then perhaps this is good for your CV. Only Oxford has an intellectual property which have so many public lectures compared to Queen Mary.
    Interesting, i wasnt aware of this.

Are you planning to do a Masters?

ReputationRep:
    I would put UEA, Exeter and Newcastle instead of Essex, Reading and Dundee.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting, i wasnt aware of this.
    Which part were you not aware, the RAE score or the research centres or both?

Are you planning to do a Masters?
    I was but there are problems associated with them. I'm not sure whether splashing out £7,000 for an LL.M maybe worth the money. Perhaps after pupillage if I get that far.

ReputationRep:
    Which part were you not aware, the RAE score or the research centres or both?
    The prestigious research centre.

I was but there are problems associated with them. I'm not sure whether splashing out £7,000 for an LL.M maybe worth the money. Perhaps after pupillage if I get that far.
    I have read various articles that have given me the impression doing an LLM isn’t worth it due to their simplicity. I cant remember the links, but if i find em ill post em.

ReputationRep:
    The prestigious research centre.
    Not sure if theyr'e both prestigeous or either of them. As I said, I should visit them both. I was informed by my former law lecturer that he said that public lectures like the ones I described may not always be that good. I will only know for myself when I go to them though.

I have read various articles that have given me the impression doing an LLM isn’t worth it due to their simplicity. I cant remember the links, but if i find em ill post em.
    I'm interested in the Cybercrime LL.M at Leeds though. I'm quite happy undertaking qualifications like these just for sheer interest but when they cost £7,000 or so you have to think if you can afford it. Before doing a postgraduate course I will find the reading list for it and read the books beforehand to see if it's worth the money.

This is the main reason why I looked at optional units at universities.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford
    Cambs
    Durham
    LSE
    UCL
    Kings
    Sheffield
    Manchester
    Birmingham
    Leeds
    Warwick
    Nottingham
    Bristol
    Newcastle
    Leicester
    Cardiff
    UEA
    Exeter
    Liverpool
    Soton

^ In no particular order, except with Ox, Cam, Durham, Notts and UCL at the top.

IMO of course. Oh and don't pay too much attention to the league tables. The best gauge of a schools' reputation is who recruits there. Keele and Kent are above places like Newcastle, Sheffield, Cardiff, Soton etc. How many MC firms do you know that recruit there? :P
    SOAS and QMC are better than quite a few of these places.

The original question was directed at top-20 in the UK (?) too, we'll leave out the for ever fuddled place up north, but what about Queen's Belfast? - it's highly respected and has an excellent employment prospects rating in league tables.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    what about Queen's Belfast? - it's highly respected and has an excellent employment prospects rating in league tables.
    I beat ya to it , but finally someone who agrees.

ReputationRep:
    I beat ya to it
    Yeh, but what had you been smoking to come out with half the rest? And would you even consider Scotland for a law degree? I wouldn't, and neither would 80% of those around me.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, but what had you been smoking to come out with half the rest? And would you even consider Scotland for a law degree? I wouldn't, and neither would 80% of those around me.
    Ack!! Lookey herrrrrree Ladddy, illllllllll have yee nor thaaat Scortlandzzz ah grrrrrreat placcce tu doo ack degreeeee

ReputationRep:
    Ack!! Lookey herrrrrree Ladddy, illllllllll have yee nor thaaat Scortlandzzz ah grrrrrreat placcce tu doo ack degreeeee
    Yeh, no doubt. For anything else but law that is.

Even though they award an LLB, there's all manner of faff before you get working in a cushy job in England and more specific, the City. Who wants to know about their cruddy legal system anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, no doubt. For anything else but law that is.

Even though they award an LLB, there's all manner of faff before you get working in a cushy job in England and more specific, the City. Who wants to know about their cruddy legal system anyway?
    Ack!!! Scotland has Law firms too...................i think.................they must do?............................. .............surely............. ................................ ............yeah, Anyway, Scotland have law firms Sonny Jim! Also, ive seen many a London law firm website with Scottish graduates on it, so the big ting firms must be recruiting from the Scots unis........ Ack!!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 24, 2004

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.