Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How would you negotiate Brexit ? What would you do ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Have cake and eat it
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bob Latchford)
    200,000 looks a bit high I would do it in phases

No new entrants for 10 years to allow population to reduce to an acceptable level
    Look to deport people and seize al, there assets (this is my answer to foreign criminals especially drug lords) spread the amount of seized assets(once sold) as investments into infrastructure to improve our cities and towns
    If I am satisfied with population levels IE under 55 million by 2020 I will allow 20,000 year on year, this will be based on a points system much stricter than Australia-I do not wish to release full details on what I would do as the PC brigade would want me banned for it.
    Then if that goes well for few years I will be willing to increase the quota up to 50,000 but still have the most tight immigration policy.

Amy period I mention can be extended
    I can't say i have any desire to reduce the population en net although i would deport criminals and the like.

(Original post by paul514)
    That's exactly what will happen though.

The point is the argument will then be had of what is a good migrant and what do we need.

The vast majority of people don't dislike migrants they simply want to know that when we let outsiders in to become one of us that they are better than the average brit.

Therefore an improvement.

That will require much tighter tests IF the public want it further down and the government will have no one to blame as it will be solely in their control.

That's the beauty of sovereignty

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well the beauty of a quota is that you still pick so can weed out the worst of them albeit arguments would be had about how high that quota should be.

I imagine May's deal will be something similar but dressed up as something different and ludicrously complicated.

ReputationRep:
    200,000 looks a bit high I would do it in phases

No new entrants for 10 years to allow population to reduce to an acceptable level
    Look to deport people and seize al, there assets (this is my answer to foreign criminals especially drug lords) spread the amount of seized assets(once sold) as investments into infrastructure to improve our cities and towns
    If I am satisfied with population levels IE under 55 million by 2020 I will allow 20,000 year on year, this will be based on a points system much stricter than Australia-I do not wish to release full details on what I would do as the PC brigade would want me banned for it.
    Then if that goes well for few years I will be willing to increase the quota up to 50,000 but still have the most tight immigration policy.

Amy period I mention can be extended
    The economy is unsustainable on these terms, and would also be a practical impossibility.

The background to Germany opening its doors to refugees was its demographic time-bomb. A working age population shrinking by 6 million by 2030 and an overall population shrinking from 82 million to somewhere between 65-70 million. Those numbers were being circulated at the end of 2014, a matter of months before the doors were opened.

The UK population is currently 65M. Of those about 8.5M are foreign nationals. You want the population to fall by 10 million in 3/4 years.

To put that into context, the German population (Germany had a slightly greater population in 1939 than the UK today) only fell by 3 million between 1939-1945

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)

I imagine May's deal will be something similar but dressed up as something different and ludicrously complicated.
    In year to June 289,000 non-EU nationals immigrated to the UK. These are the people May theoretically has control over.

There were 44,323 claims for asylum. Only about one quarter are ultimately successful. Only 10% of asylum claims are made at ports. The other 90% of claims are made as a reaction to some form of immigration enforcement action (immigration arrest, criminal arrest, failure to grant extension visa)

The Tier 2 general visa (supposedly the primary route for highly skilled non-EU migrants) has a quota of 20700 per year. The monthly quota cap has been reached only, I think twice, in the last 5 years, the first time being June 2015. There were 3169 available in December 2016. Only 1866 were taken up.

But this is the nub. Whilst the primary method of getting "a work permit" is under-subscribed, 164,000 work related visas were issued (down from 168,000 the previous years).

The UK is a house with more back doors than front, but the anti-immigration lobby continues to concentrate on guarding those front doors.

ReputationRep:
    There is far too many minorities in this country and nobody knows how many illegal aliens we have. I would let the economy shrink in order to get more ethnic purity. We need at least 10 years of no immigration we are vastly overpopulated.

ReputationRep:
    There is far too many minorities in this country and nobody knows how many illegal aliens we have. I would let the economy shrink in order to get more ethnic purity. We need at least 10 years of no immigration we are vastly overpopulated.
    Okay. You are racist. Discussion closed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Okay. You are racist. Discussion closed.
    What have I said which is actually racist what group of people have I specifically discriminated against? Seeing the NHS, housing and access to a local school crisis. It is safe to say we are overpopulated.

Saying there is to many ethnic minorities is not racist.
    Closing the door to all immigrants is not racist as you have not discriminated against a specified group of people-simply immigrants is far to vague to screw racism

What is it with my generation mainly being social justice warriors

ReputationRep:
    Hard brexit and leave within a week. Do a deal later

ReputationRep:
    "We'll have everything that's good please. But without any of the obligations or responsibilities that go with that. Thanks"

When that fails, I'd probably just take any deal they give me. I'll decide that this is what "Brexit" is and announce it, whatever it is, as the best deal for the UK.

I'll then hope that the 52% of the country who wanted something different forget about the whole thing come the next election.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sdotd)
    Hard brexit and leave within a week. Do a deal later
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Have another vote and let 16 & 17 year olds vote!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosieSwagPants)
    Have another vote and let 16 & 17 year olds vote!
    People who do not fully understand the EU . Not many do Farage has been a MEMBER for 17 years and said it was a bad place read a treaty

ReputationRep:
    Quoted from someone from twitter: "at the age of 16 you can legally produce a member of the future generation but can't vote to help shape the world they grow up in?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomywomy)
    Hard Brexit, Britian enforces other trade deals with other countries interested and then tell the EU to **** themselves pull out of all ties with them and not trade with them and watch the EU collapse
    And what do you say to the UK businesses who export 42% of the UKs exports to the EU straight after such an irrational / emotional tirade?

ReputationRep:
    Send out everyone who's parents were not born in UK including their parents.

ReputationRep:
    People who do not fully understand the EU . Not many do Farage has been a MEMBER for 17 years and said it was a bad place read a treaty
    Even some adults do not understand the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosieSwagPants)
    Even some adults do not understand the EU.
    Generally speaking when your younger your more socially liberal, Allowing 16 year olds the vote would have gave a remain win so I'm glad that they was excluded from the vote.

ReputationRep:
    16/17 years old have their own valid opinions and I believe we should make our voices heard it is our future after all.

ReputationRep:
    As the future generation of this country, and therefore those who's lives will continue to be affected by the result I feel it is unfair to exclude them, and decide their futures for them. The point of democracy is to allow us a say in our futures. By excluding the 16/17 demographic the point of democracy is being undermined. 16/17 year olds are much more socially aware then they are given credit for, and they should be given a chance to demonstrate this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rforrosie)
    16/17 years old have their own valid opinions and I believe we should make our voices heard it is our future after all.
    And why isn't it the future of 15 year olds and 3 year olds.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.