Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How would you negotiate Brexit ? What would you do ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I would say we are going to stay in the single market, which benefits British people, but without uncontrolled immigration, which doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Have full capacity to enter into a contract; receive an inheritance, borrow money (which means being able to have a charge card or credit card), rent a property, acquire property. Marry without parental consent. Join the armed forces without parental consent. Not be subject to the jurisdiction of the Courts concerning your welfare. Not be required to be in education or training
    At 16 you can consent to sexual activity, change your name by deed poll, choose a gp, consent to medical treatment, register as a blood donor, leave home, apply for a passport, work full time, and pilot a gilder.

ReputationRep:
    It's hilarious seeing brexiters here thinking we're going to storm in and get a good deal and get revenge. They have us by the legs, theyre setting the terms of the deal or will just tell us to leave without any deal.

ReputationRep:
    see below

(Original post by rforrosie)
    16/17 year olds can drive, have a child, get a job, fly abroad alone not if parental consent is refused without consent of the Family Court and many countries will not admit you without a signed consent from both parents [I prepare these for a living] and buy a house not until 18 but they can can't vote for their future in the EU😂

ReputationRep:
    I would scare them and say I don't even want free trade with them, let them do the begging.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _aprildawn)
    The belief that 16-year-olds are unaware of the things going on around in the world around them is so far from right in this day it's laughable. The changes going on at this point in time are insane, and this is the reason the 16/17 demographic have become more aware, and more passionate about making the changes that are sure to take place changes for the better. Recently, it is the under 18s who have made huge changes within our world, compared to the over 18s who seem to decide to sit ideally by while letting the world fall into pieces around their feet. Malala Yousafzai, Jazz Jennings, and Mary Grace Henry just being a few examples of those younger willing to fight for their future, and change their own lives.
    I'm sorry. The present generation of western 16/17 year olds is more insulated from the world around them than any other in history. They are aware of the world around them vicariously through television and the internet. It does not impact on them. They do not climb chimneys. They do not go out to work. They are not financially independent.

You know of the sufferings of Syria from watching on the television. My 16 year old grandmother knew of the horrors of the Western Front in WWI because her first husband was killed in Ludendorff's Spring Offensive of 1918. She was expecting my aunt at the time. She was first allowed to vote in the 1929 general election when the voting age for women was reduced from 30 to 21.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Therec00)
    Here's what I would do :

Give us access to trade and the single market

Let us make our own immigration laws

Walks out the room
    Went through this thread. Expected some serious answers. Read some troll answer on ethnic purity and recreation of crystal nacht.

==========

The negotiations will take place along these lines. Start moving right from 3rd column.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 3.53.23 PM.png
Views: 21
Size:  191.5 KB

The choice of column 3 is a new proposal and doesn't base itself on any existing models. It can be adopted if Theresa May decides to concede on the demands of moving entirely away from European courts.

Column 4 and 6 will be a massive shock to UK's economy as it is composed 80% of services. That includes banking sector. However, column 4 at least allows some free movement of goods but takes away ability to trade with other countries. Column 6 is the nuclear Farage option - "no deal is better than the current deal". You stop all relations beyond WTO mandates.

Column 5 will take anywhere between 5-10 years to negotiate. Something that doesn't seem possible within the 2-year timeframe the EU and the UK are trying to set for negotiations. But a possibility in the long term where the UK will be able to sell its services to the EU again, albeit partially.

Start thinking about it from here.

ReputationRep:
    82% of 16/17 year olds on the student room voted to remain in the EU.
    And that would equate to more than 1.4 million extra votes for remain?

That's what it would take to get it to 50%

I don't think there are even that many voters of that age and then take into account people who don't bother to vote in an age group which goes down the younger the voter is

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry. The present generation of western 16/17 year olds is more insulated from the world around them than any other in history. They are aware of the world around them vicariously through television and the internet. It does not impact on them. They do not climb chimneys. They do not go out to work. They are not financially independent.

You know of the sufferings of Syria from watching on the television. My 16 year old grandmother knew of the horrors of the Western Front in WWI because her first husband was killed in Ludendorff's Spring Offensive of 1918. She was expecting my aunt at the time. She was first allowed to vote in the 1929 general election when the voting age for women was reduced from 30 to 21.
    Thinking the 16/17 generation is more insulated than any other in history is a downright lie, there is no other explanation for it. We experience many impacts, however as they are not wars and terrorist threats they are not seen as important. Many young people in this country have had to grow up too fast due to the changes happening around them, that have had huge impacts on them. Times change, however, we can still have problems even if they are not seen as the "huge problems" others have experienced. You would not expect your happiness to be changed as others are happier, therefore why should your problems seem smaller because others have larger?

ReputationRep:
    Thinking the 16/17 generation is more insulated than any other in history is a downright lie, there is no other explanation for it. We experience many impacts, however as they are not wars and terrorist threats they are not seen as important. Many young people in this country have had to grow up too fast due to the changes happening around them, that have had huge impacts on them. Times change, however, we can still have problems even if they are not seen as the "huge problems" others have experienced. You would not expect your happiness to be changed as others are happier, therefore why should your problems seem smaller because others have larger?
    With respect, they are not seen as important because they are not as important.

Remember in this country young people were doing full time jobs at 15 until the 1970s. It was one of the absurdities of the report into Jimmy Saville's crimes. It was suggested that the BBC was failing in its duty of care by allowing teenage girls to wander round the BBC without being chaperoned. Well,no doubt some of those teenage girls were employed by the BBC to bring him his morning tea in his dressing room. Young people were fully integrated into the adult world at 15 in the way they are not today.

At what age did you do your first paper round?

At what age did you have your first Saturday job?

At what age did you first do a long train journey alone?

ReputationRep:

We cannot vote to help the situations that are occuring in the world right now. Many of us 16/17 years olds are educated in schools about these horrible events and in incredible depth.

ReputationRep:
    With respect, they are not seen as important because they are not as important.

Remember in this country young people were doing full time jobs at 15 until the 1970s. It was one of the absurdities of the report into Jimmy Saville's crimes. It was suggested that the BBC was failing in its duty of care by allowing teenage girls to wander round the BBC chaperoned. Well,no doubt some of those teenage girls were employed by the BBC to bring him his morning tea in his dressing room. Young people were fully integrated into the adult world at 15 in the way they are not today.

At what age did you do your first paper round?

At what age did you have your first Saturday job?

At what age did you first do a long train journey alone?
    You have demonstrated right here exactly the reason we should be able to vote. Thinking our problems are not real problems is delusional at best, you are not the one living them, so frankly, you cannot speak on this matter with much knowledge. How can we be expected to have a future we are happy with when it is people like you voting? People who don't believe we have problems, and therefore will not vote to solve them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosieSwagPants)
    We cannot vote to change situations that are occuring in the world right now. Many of us 16/17 years olds are educated in schools about these horrible events and in incredible depth.
    But you are not put in the situation where it matters to you personally..

Most of the people who voted for Brexit thinking that it would stop immigration didn't do so because they hated foreigners (again TSR is unrepresentative; it has a far greater proportion of the racist right than the population at large) but because they fear for their jobs as a result of immigration. I may think those fears are misplaced (I don't) or that Remaining is better for all of us (I do) but those fears are not imaginary.

However to your generation it is a hypothetical question and probably one in which the loss of the prospect of working abroad seems as, if not more important than the prospect that you will not have a job due to immigration despite the fact that probably only one of you will work abroad for every 30 of you there are.

The said could be said about increased taxes as against increased expenditure. Increased taxes will matter to you more when they limit the things you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    You have demonstrated right here exactly the reason we should be able to vote. Thinking our problems are not real problems is delusional at best, you are not the one living them, so frankly, you cannot speak on this matter with much knowledge. How can we be expected to have a future we are happy with when it is people like you voting? People who don't believe we have problems, and therefore will not vote to solve them?
    I am not suggesting you don't have problems. However, most of those problems are problems that have always existed for people of your age. What I am saying is that you are the least well equipped generation to deal with those problems.

ReputationRep:
    I am not suggesting you don't have problems. However, most of those problems are problems that have always existed for people of your age. What I am saying is that you are the least well equipped generation to deal with those problems.
    That's a stereotypical view, that is unfair to tarnish the whole generation with. Many are unequipped, I'll agree with you there. However, there are also many of those who are equipped to deal with these problems, and it is those who are suffering.

ReputationRep:
    But you are not put in the situation where it matters to you personally..

Most of the people who voted for Brexit thinking that it would stop immigration didn't do so because they hated foreigners (again TSR is unrepresentative; it has a far greater proportion of the racist right than the population at large) but because they fear for their jobs as a result of immigration. I may think those fears are misplaced (I don't) or that Remaining is better for all of us (I do) but those fears are not imaginary.

However to your generation it is a hypothetical question and probably one in which the loss of the prospect of working abroad seems as, if not more important than the prospect that you will not have a job due to immigration despite the fact that probably only one of you will work abroad for every 30 of you there are.

The said could be said about increased taxes as against increased expenditure. Increased taxes will matter to you more when they limit the things you want to do.
    I can't vote so I can't have a say in taxes.
    I never said I want to work abroad.
    Finally, it does matter to me personally as it's our future too so 16/17 year olds should be able to vote. If I am trying to get my view across about 16/17 years olds voting that must mean that we do care about the country and the EU.

ReputationRep:
    That's a stereotypical view, that is unfair to tarnish the whole generation with. Many are unequipped, I'll agree with you there. However, there are also many of those who are equipped to deal with these problems, and it is those who are suffering.
    You think you are equipped to deal with these things because of your education, but what I am saying is that you are not because of your lack of experience.

ReputationRep:
    Make them an offer they can't refuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by knightchildish)
    It's hilarious seeing brexiters here thinking we're going to storm in and get a good deal and get revenge. They have us by the legs, theyre setting the terms of the deal or will just tell us to leave without any deal.
    Given that we import more from Europe, than we export to Europe, this is not true.

ReputationRep:

Finally, it does matter to me personally
    It matters to you hypothetically, not practically.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.