vpetrillo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
How many students don't receive DSA support because a £200 contribution for computer equipment is required if you need a laptop? I've had friends express this is a detriment to the allowance because they can not afford it. Any one else?

Thanks
Jackieox
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The issue is people used to pretend they had disabilities (I know it's wrong but it's not hard to get a doctor to write a letter for depression or anxiety and before anyone jumps on me I have been properly diagnosed with both of those things but I know people who claim to have it so they can park on campus or get extensions) and then they're getting a free laptop out of it.
When I was offered a laptop I didn't mind paying the £200 because you won't find a decent laptop for that anyway.. That said I wanted a mac so I just bought mine myself and claimed back what they would've paid
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by vpetrillo)
How many students don't receive DSA support because a £200 contribution for computer equipment is required if you need a laptop? I've had friends express this is a detriment to the allowance because they can not afford it. Any one else?

Thanks
The thinking is that most students these days will need a laptop. It's no longer a specific requirement for DSA applicants unless they need to run disability-related software. DSA is supposed to level the playing field rather than give an advantage.

If you can't pay the £200 for the laptop, you can still get the rest of the free elements of your DSA recommendations. You don't lose all of your DSA facilities/equipment if you turn down the laptop.
Lovesick
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have your friends approached the university, OP? There may be some hardship type funds available to help with the contribution needed.
paulbarlow
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
they may even supply a laptop.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The uni won't supply a laptop. At least not permanently.
paulbarlow
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
uhi supplies one for folks that have a learning problem and don't have one. the only adaptation ive been given was 1/3 more time in exams plus the right to use a computer. as i wont qualify for any other assistance that uni have not provided it would be a waste of money to go through it.
Greta777
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
How much did they pay for the Mac to you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.58%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.18%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.16%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (76)
28.36%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.54%

Watched Threads