Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How many students don't receive DSA support because a £200 contribution for computer equipment is required if you need a laptop? I've had friends express this is a detriment to the allowance because they can not afford it. Any one else?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    The issue is people used to pretend they had disabilities (I know it's wrong but it's not hard to get a doctor to write a letter for depression or anxiety and before anyone jumps on me I have been properly diagnosed with both of those things but I know people who claim to have it so they can park on campus or get extensions) and then they're getting a free laptop out of it.
    When I was offered a laptop I didn't mind paying the £200 because you won't find a decent laptop for that anyway.. That said I wanted a mac so I just bought mine myself and claimed back what they would've paid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vpetrillo)
    How many students don't receive DSA support because a £200 contribution for computer equipment is required if you need a laptop? I've had friends express this is a detriment to the allowance because they can not afford it. Any one else?

Thanks
    The thinking is that most students these days will need a laptop. It's no longer a specific requirement for DSA applicants unless they need to run disability-related software. DSA is supposed to level the playing field rather than give an advantage.

If you can't pay the £200 for the laptop, you can still get the rest of the free elements of your DSA recommendations. You don't lose all of your DSA facilities/equipment if you turn down the laptop.

ReputationRep:
    Have your friends approached the university, OP? There may be some hardship type funds available to help with the contribution needed.

ReputationRep:
    they may even supply a laptop.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    The uni won't supply a laptop. At least not permanently.

ReputationRep:
    uhi supplies one for folks that have a learning problem and don't have one. the only adaptation ive been given was 1/3 more time in exams plus the right to use a computer. as i wont qualify for any other assistance that uni have not provided it would be a waste of money to go through it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.