The Student Room Group

DSA £200 laptop fee

How many students don't receive DSA support because a £200 contribution for computer equipment is required if you need a laptop? I've had friends express this is a detriment to the allowance because they can not afford it. Any one else?

Thanks
The issue is people used to pretend they had disabilities (I know it's wrong but it's not hard to get a doctor to write a letter for depression or anxiety and before anyone jumps on me I have been properly diagnosed with both of those things but I know people who claim to have it so they can park on campus or get extensions) and then they're getting a free laptop out of it.
When I was offered a laptop I didn't mind paying the £200 because you won't find a decent laptop for that anyway.. That said I wanted a mac so I just bought mine myself and claimed back what they would've paid
Reply 2
Original post by vpetrillo
How many students don't receive DSA support because a £200 contribution for computer equipment is required if you need a laptop? I've had friends express this is a detriment to the allowance because they can not afford it. Any one else?

Thanks

The thinking is that most students these days will need a laptop. It's no longer a specific requirement for DSA applicants unless they need to run disability-related software. DSA is supposed to level the playing field rather than give an advantage.

If you can't pay the £200 for the laptop, you can still get the rest of the free elements of your DSA recommendations. You don't lose all of your DSA facilities/equipment if you turn down the laptop.
Reply 3
Have your friends approached the university, OP? There may be some hardship type funds available to help with the contribution needed.
they may even supply a laptop.
The uni won't supply a laptop. At least not permanently.
uhi supplies one for folks that have a learning problem and don't have one. the only adaptation ive been given was 1/3 more time in exams plus the right to use a computer. as i wont qualify for any other assistance that uni have not provided it would be a waste of money to go through it.
Reply 7
How much did they pay for the Mac to you?

Quick Reply

Latest