The Student Room Group

About Leiden University (course)

Does anyone know whether Leiden University's "BSc International Relations and Organisations" are dominated by Dutch students or has lots of international students just like their "International Studies" course?

It's because I am more drawn to International Relations course than International Studies but I'm afraid that if almost no international students take it, I might be left out outside of class due to my only language being English.
I can't answer your question specifically, but, I just got done applying a few days back. I'm from India.
Original post by musso123
Does anyone know whether Leiden University's "BSc International Relations and Organisations" are dominated by Dutch students or has lots of international students just like their "International Studies" course?

It's because I am more drawn to International Relations course than International Studies but I'm afraid that if almost no international students take it, I might be left out outside of class due to my only language being English.

I highly doubt about it. but you can also possibly mail the uni to get some info about the student population. But anyway if it's the case you are gonna get left out cause of the language. It's more your own fault, since I think if you get left out by dutchies you'll probably also get left out by other international students. Dutch people are pretty open so don't hesitate to communicate.
Reply 3
Original post by Stevenzhao
I highly doubt about it. but you can also possibly mail the uni to get some info about the student population. But anyway if it's the case you are gonna get left out cause of the language. It's more your own fault, since I think if you get left out by dutchies you'll probably also get left out by other international students. Dutch people are pretty open so don't hesitate to communicate.

Hey, thanks for this comment. I however don't get what you mean by "It's more your own fault........left out by dutchies you'll probably also get left out by other international students."

Well I do but I'm for some reason offended by it. Hope you're not implying that I'm close-minded or anything when it comes to making international mates/students. I'm anything but that.
Hey, thanks for this comment. I however don't get what you mean by "It's more your own fault........left out by dutchies you'll probably also get left out by other international students."

Well I do but I'm for some reason offended by it. Hope you're not implying that I'm close-minded or anything when it comes to making international mates/students. I'm anything but that.

What I am trying to say if you can't make dutch friends only because of a language. It will be just as hard to make friends with international students. Since people wont dislike you or avoid if u can't speak their native tongue. Unless they are ignorant. :P So in short if you are making friends in your country you should be able to make in friends in the Netherlands too.
Reply 5
Original post by Stevenzhao
What I am trying to say if you can't make dutch friends only because of a language. It will be just as hard to make friends with international students. Since people wont dislike you or avoid if u can't speak their native tongue. Unless they are ignorant. :P So in short if you are making friends in your country you should be able to make in friends in the Netherlands too.

Gotcha, cheers! :biggrin:

Just applied there, I'm from Paris.
Original post by justaprank

Hey! Did you fill out the assessment?
Original post by saisundaram
Hey! Did you fill out the assessment?

Ahm what's that ? xD
I online Know I followed all the steps and gave my grades :-)
Ahm what's that ? xD
I online Know I followed all the steps and gave my grades :-)

I received an email, a week after submitting my application, saying I had to fill out a Leiden Course Check and how based on that interviews are granted.
Reply 10

Nice! for which course?
I received an email, a week after submitting my application, saying I had to fill out a Leiden Course Check and how based on that interviews are granted.

Oh, I applied yesterday, I haven't recieved any mail yet.
Is there always an interview needed ?
Oh, I applied yesterday, I haven't recieved any mail yet.
Is there always an interview needed ?

I guess? I'm not really sure. Have you applied for any other univ?

Hi, I am studying at Leiden's BA International Studies in The Hague, and our programme is about half international, half Dutch students, so a perfect mix! I know the other English-taught programmes are about the same, so IRO should be too.
I guess? I'm not really sure. Have you applied for any other univ?

I got accepted at the program! Probably will start in September.
I got accepted at the program! Probably will start in September.
Congratulations, I got accepted as well!
Congratulations, I got accepted as well!

Nice! Congrats! I guess we'll ser us there.
Gotcha, cheers! :biggrin:

Have you applied there ? :smile:
Reply 18
Have you applied there ? :smile:

I will by the end of this month! :smile:

Quick Reply