The Student Room Group
Craiglockhart Campus
Edinburgh Napier University

Journalism at Edinburgh Napier

Sent off my application on November 30 - got asked to submit an additional piece of writing a few weeks ago, and haven't heard anything since.

I've met a few people who are in the same position - just wondering if anyone has heard back or know when abouts they'll get in touch?

Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I sent mines away on the 22nd of December. Didn't know you could be asked to submit any writing haha. Am I right in saying there is an interview that a lot of the potential students get?
Craiglockhart Campus
Edinburgh Napier University
Original post by JNU
I sent mines away on the 22nd of December. Didn't know you could be asked to submit any writing haha. Am I right in saying there is an interview that a lot of the potential students get?

I got asked to submit a 400 piece on a major current news story and the way it's being reported in the media - don't know why!
There's definitely an interview, as it said that if i passed the written assignment then i'd be invited, but i haven't heard anything back yet!

if it helps at all, i was asked to submit my written assignment on the 19th of dec, so they could still ask you at some point!
Reply 3
Original post by eleanor-duffy
I got asked to submit a 400 piece on a major current news story and the way it's being reported in the media - don't know why!
There's definitely an interview, as it said that if i passed the written assignment then i'd be invited, but i haven't heard anything back yet!

if it helps at all, i was asked to submit my written assignment on the 19th of dec, so they could still ask you at some point!

Thanks a lot. What news story did you pick?
Original post by JNU
Thanks a lot. What news story did you pick?

i chose the MSP who revealed in Parliament that she was raped - it was an incredibly powerful story, and the criteria said it was to be a news story that had surfaced in the last 2 weeks!
Reply 5
i chose the MSP who revealed in Parliament that she was raped - it was an incredibly powerful story, and the criteria said it was to be a news story that had surfaced in the last 2 weeks!

Yeah it really was powerful. Just out of interest what subjects and grades did you apply with (if that's not to personal) I'm just so anxious about my chances haha!
Original post by JNU
Yeah it really was powerful. Just out of interest what subjects and grades did you apply with (if that's not to personal) I'm just so anxious about my chances haha!

i applied with:
7 Nat 5s (4As and 3Bs)
2 As and 4Bs at higher (english, spanish, french, maths, physics and history respectively)
An A and a c in advanced spanish and english

i left school last may and have been working at STV News in glasgow ever since

how about you?
Reply 7
i applied with:
7 Nat 5s (4As and 3Bs)
2 As and 4Bs at higher (english, spanish, french, maths, physics and history respectively)
An A and a c in advanced spanish and english

i left school last may and have been working at STV News in glasgow ever since

how about you?

Wow those are really impressive! My grades are alot more modest than that. 2A's at nat 5 in English and PE. And 3 D's in Nat 5 also in Graphics, physics and chemistry. I'm currently sitting 4 highers in English, Media, PE and Drama. Predicted grades are AAAB. Also sitting nat 5 maths this year. Not sure what my chances are as these subjects could be considered quite weak!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JNU
Wow those are really impressive! My grades are alot more modest than that. 2A's at nat 5 in English and PE. And 3 D's in Nat 5 also in Graphics, physics and chemistry. I'm currently sitting 4 highers in English, Media, PE and Drama. Predicted grades are AAAB. Also sitting nat 5 maths this year. Not sure what my chances are as these subjects could be considered quite week!

I reckon you'll be alright! have you applied for anywhere else?
Reply 9
I reckon you'll be alright! have you applied for anywhere else?

I also applied to Robert Gordon, UWS, Stirling. How about you?
Original post by JNU
I also applied to Robert Gordon, UWS, Stirling. How about you?

robert gordon, strirling, strathclyde and caledonian! have you heard back from any?
Reply 11
robert gordon, strirling, strathclyde and caledonian! have you heard back from any?

Not yet unfortunately. Hoping I'll get some soon as I really can't wait to start journalism!
Original post by JNU
Not yet unfortunately. Hoping I'll get some soon as I really can't wait to start journalism!

you'll definitely hear soon!! good luck :biggrin:
Reply 13
I just got my email saying the same thing. Did you refer to s specific newspaper, or did you just talk about the story in general.
Original post by JNU
I just got my email saying the same thing. Did you refer to s specific newspaper, or did you just talk about the story in general.

i talked about the story in general, and then referred to media outlets and how they reported on it - i did really badly with it in all honesty!
Reply 15
i talked about the story in general, and then referred to media outlets and how they reported on it - i did really badly with it in all honesty!

its always going to be hard cosidering 400 words is the max
Going through the same thing! I submitted my 400 words piece of writing last Wednesday with the deadline being yesterday. I haven't hear anything and I am extremely worried that I haven't met the minimum criteria it asked for! Have you been offered an interview or have you not heard anything?
Original post by RobynEMcl
Going through the same thing! I submitted my 400 words piece of writing last Wednesday with the deadline being yesterday. I haven't hear anything and I am extremely worried that I haven't met the minimum criteria it asked for! Have you been offered an interview or have you not heard anything?

Nope i haven't heard anything at all and i submitted mine on december 18 :frown:((
It is so infuriating! I haven't heard back from anywhere yet and I am really stressing out over it! Do you know what the criteria was for the piece or did you just guess? Mine was on the proposed UK-US trade deal as I wasn't sure what constituted as a 'major' news story to them, so I went for the most popular topic of the past few weeks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by RobynEMcl
It is so infuriating! I haven't heard back from anywhere yet and I am really stressing out over it! Do you know what the criteria was for the piece or did you just guess? Mine was on the proposed UK-US trade deal as I wasn't sure what constituted as a 'major' news story to them, so I went for the most popular topic of the past few weeks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did mines on the Brexit speech. My deadline was the 30tj December so maybe they are waiting u till everyone has submitted their reports. I do however now have conditionals from 2 other universities which is very exciting

Quick Reply