Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was just wondering about interviews for Biology with a Modern Language at Manchester University.

If anyone has already had an interview at Manchester for Biology, or for this course in particular, could they let me know what the interview was like? e.g. the structure, whether it was team-building and/or a one to one interview, and what topics they asked about, like the PS or about anything to do with my A Level Biology course? Also, will they ask me about my interest and in the modern language?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!! I've got an interview super similar for this in late February, mine is for genetics with a modern language.
    Good luck ps : would be nice to know anything anyone knows about the interview process haha..
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etaoin17)
    Hi,

I was just wondering about interviews for Biology with a Modern Language at Manchester University.

If anyone has already had an interview at Manchester for Biology, or for this course in particular, could they let me know what the interview was like? e.g. the structure, whether it was team-building and/or a one to one interview, and what topics they asked about, like the PS or about anything to do with my A Level Biology course? Also, will they ask me about my interest and in the modern language?

Thanks in advance.
    (Original post by liasoe)
    Hey!! I've got an interview super similar for this in late February, mine is for genetics with a modern language.
    Good luck ps : would be nice to know anything anyone knows about the interview process haha..
    I'm also interested! Got an interview for Environmental Science, just wondering about the interview process for UoM.

ReputationRep:
    I would also like to know !
    I have an interview for Biology in the middle of Febuary!
    It would just be nice to know a little more about the process and
    what to expect.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I had an interview in early november for Biomedical Sciences with a Modern Language, so I guess I can help!

The whole day is pretty relaxed, it starts off with an introductory talk in a lecture theatre about general university stuff to do with Manchester and things to do with the course, with time for questions at the end.
    After the talk, we were split into groups which we were allocated when we arrived. You go for a campus tour, the interview, and a lab practical demonstration, with the order depending on your group. My group had our interviews first, so we were taken to a lab with a bunch of other applicants and they basically just call people's names out so you can go up to meet your interviewer who would then take you to their office for the interview, which was one-to-one.
    As for the interview itself, mine was really relaxed and was more of a conversation really, my interviewer was lovely and she basically just had an annotated copy of my PS out in front of her which she asked me about. The questions were pretty much just asking me to elaborate on what I had written, stuff like explaining my academic and non-academic interests and achievements, as well as a general discussion about the academic topics and books I had mentioned that I particularly enjoyed. We also talked about the language I had chosen to study (Japanese) and why I had chosen it, and about our mutual interests which was cool (She also said she had studied Japanese herself so I guess we get interviewed by staff who can speak the language we're applying for!)
    So yeah, after that was the lab practical and then campus tour which took up the rest of the day. I don't want to say too much more so you guys can experience it for yourselves but yeah that's basically how the day goes!

Good luck with your interviews everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jiulian)
    Hey guys, I had an interview in early november for Biomedical Sciences with a Modern Language, so I guess I can help!

The whole day is pretty relaxed, it starts off with an introductory talk in a lecture theatre about general university stuff to do with Manchester and things to do with the course, with time for questions at the end.
    After the talk, we were split into groups which we were allocated when we arrived. You go for a campus tour, the interview, and a lab practical demonstration, with the order depending on your group. My group had our interviews first, so we were taken to a lab with a bunch of other applicants and they basically just call people's names out so you can go up to meet your interviewer who would then take you to their office for the interview, which was one-to-one.
    As for the interview itself, mine was really relaxed and was more of a conversation really, my interviewer was lovely and she basically just had an annotated copy of my PS out in front of her which she asked me about. The questions were pretty much just asking me to elaborate on what I had written, stuff like explaining my academic and non-academic interests and achievements, as well as a general discussion about the academic topics and books I had mentioned that I particularly enjoyed. We also talked about the language I had chosen to study (Japanese) and why I had chosen it, and about our mutual interests which was cool (She also said she had studied Japanese herself so I guess we get interviewed by staff who can speak the language we're applying for!)
    So yeah, after that was the lab practical and then campus tour which took up the rest of the day. I don't want to say too much more so you guys can experience it for yourselves but yeah that's basically how the day goes!

Good luck with your interviews everyone!
    Thank you so much!! Good luck with the rest of your application process!

ReputationRep:
    i have an interview in a couple of weeks, and i'm applying for exactly the same course as you, but i want to do french instead of japanese, so this is really helpful, thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    Can I just add to this?

I just graduated from BSc Biology at UOM and I was also a Student Ambassador (the students in the red hoodies) so I helped with the interviews a lot. Here are some quick tips:

* Be enthusiastic. I cannot stress this enough. It's not a test and we aren't going to quiz you. Chat to people. You'll have a taster lab session, and we will ask the lab group questions (which are not graded at all, it's just to stimulate conversation) but try and put in your 5 cents. If you sit at the back, don't contribute and come off as stand-offish, it's harder for us to remember you and you won't seem like you care about the course. I know you'll be nervous, but try not to stand shuffling from foot to foot and not making a peep.

*Prepare a list of some things you've done that show your passion. E.g. books/articles you've read recently that you enjoyed. Work experience you've done or research you've been able to conduct at college.

*Research the university. Particularly the Faculty you'll be joining. See the quality of research we produce. It's damn good. Show you know it's damn good, and you want to learn from the best so you can hopefully contribute to that research in the future.

* Don't be afraid to ask the academic who interviews you some questions. In fact, prepare some. It shows you're an active listener and are genuinely interested. I asked the academic who interviewed me what research she was conducting at the moment and BOOM. She offered me work experience in her lab. I got to look at Koala sperm and it's motility. It takes all sorts I guess...

*People usually ask about the dress code. Well, don't feel the need to come in a full suit as that's definitely not needed. On the other hand, however, I wouldn't really come in jeans, tshirt and trainers. A skirt and nice shirt or a pair of chinos and shirt is fine. Smart casual I guess? Don't worry about piercings or hair colour or anything like that! We accept all!

Lastly, please don't worry. We are really just inviting you here to see you are genuinely interested. The interviews are a fantastic opportunity to view the campus and our facilities so please use it to ask any questions you have (although if you have questions about night life or accommodation, perhaps save it for the ambassadors, not the academics!).

Hope this helps! Any other questions let me know

ReputationRep:
    I know people have already said loads about the interview process but there were a couple of stats that they gave us in the introduction talk which really calmed for me down on the day which I thought might help calm some people's nerves in future!
    the reminded us that we were shortlisted and that th1ey have already rejected about 1000 candidates. they said th at the week before, they hadn't given offers to 2 candidates and the week before it was 4 , out of all the people they interviewed.

So basically, as long as you know your stuff I.e personal statement , you're fine!
    (FYI this is for biochemistry w modern language and I got an offer verbally today)

ReputationRep:
    I can confirm this is absolutely true. I would say 95-99% of people are made an offer from the interviews. Make good conversion, be polite and seem interested. Can't go wrong really.

ReputationRep:
    I had one of these interviews aswell last week, and as said the day is basically an information day and a very informal interview at the end where i was basically asked questions about the course i'm taking now to prove that i wasn't lying on my personal statement. Then offered a place after the interview .. Course - Genetics and modern language.
    Good luck to anyone with an interview!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.