Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey. When I was younger, my mum put hair extensions in my hair, relaxed my hair, dyed my hair and my hair is basically very damaged. It doesn't look damaged at all and it's still soft but there isn't any growth. Do you think I should shave my hair or not?

ReputationRep:
    Shaving your hair won't stimulate growth if that is what you're aiming for. Black girls chop their hair simply to get rid of damaged hair and also to stop split ends in new growth so if you want to start your hair journey again then go for it

If you just want a shaved head to be your new style then I can't really say whether or not you should go for it because I don't know what your head looks like so I can't say if it would suit you.

What is your current hair routine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeeceLondon)
    Shaving your hair won't stimulate growth if that is what you're aiming for. Black girls chop their hair simply to get rid of damaged hair and also to stop split ends in new growth so if you want to start your hair journey again then go for it

If you just want a shaved head to be your new style then I can't really say whether or not you should go for it because I don't know what your head looks like so I can't say if it would suit you.

What is your current hair routine?
    If my hair is damaged it won't really grow so should I shave it?
    Uhm I don't really have a hair routine
    I wash my hair 4x a week with shamp and condit and wait for my hair to get dry then the next hair blow dry brush it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emerald7770)
    If my hair is damaged it won't really grow so should I shave it?
    Uhm I don't really have a hair routine
    I wash my hair 4x a week with shamp and condit and wait for my hair to get dry then the next hair blow dry brush it.
    Damaged hair can grow back with the proper treatment so you can try. You can decide whether or not to shave it before you start a new routine, this is referred to as the big chop and you can find pros & cons for it online. I don't think you should just shave your hair and give up on it though, you said it's soft so if it also doesn't really have any split ends then I don't think you need to shave it tbh.

I would suggest just starting a new hair routine and buying the right products. You should really stop washing your hair 4x a week with shampoo, that's really not good for black hair. You should also use treatments (leave in conditioners/hair masks), you can buy ones specifically for damaged hair. I'm sure you've already heard heat is bad for your hair so if you're blow drying it four times a week that's not going to be great.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.