Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I am writing here in despair because my circumstances are....well, not good. Here it goes.

I study in Scotland, so on 4 year degree program. I am in final year doing informatics degree and started off in not so good way.

Firstly, I was assigned a final project that I barely was interested in but it was better than most other projects there that totally were either over my head, I had not prereqs or were simply not interesting. This semester I had mostly coursework based courses and they were very demanding. Most people wasted countless hours on them. In mid November, I got sick physically and that made me fall into depression that I thought I could manage but failed. I hoped to recoup back home over Christmas but ended up going to doctors and they advised to look into addressing the issues first before continuing university.

I contacted my personal tutor to meet up as soon as possible but I truly don't want to stop my studies. The one thing that drags me down is the project and I have until end of match to finish it. But it is humongous and difficult, hence I beleive my work will be very poor.

I don't really know what to do because I finished 3rd year with 82% avg but fallen ill this semester and lost all my drive due to depression. I theoretically could still get a good degree even with poor project but as far as I know, failing project is a condition to not let you graduate. But I will check. I plan to get over 80% from other 80 credits of courses, project is 40 for a total of 120, so even with very poor mark on the project, I can still get a low first or strong 2:1.

I am really in cloudy mood right now, having already job offer lined up from internship but my health failing me at most important time. Could you guys provide some advice?

ReputationRep:
    I guess ask for a delay in your dissertation hand-in date, maybe until the end of Easter break? That should given you enough time to get it up to scratch while not delaying graduation or getting in the way of exam revision too much.

ReputationRep:
    Mitigating circumstances form?

ReputationRep:
    I also wanted to ask about the following: if one scores below 40% in the final project, of 40 credits, does it mean it is a failure and all other good marks matter not for final year? Do I have to "pass" all 120 credits? If I score low mark on the project, then other 80 credits marks would outweight the bad project mark. I already have around 85% avg secured from 60 credits of courseworks, needing to pass two more exams in May. So, if I get well over 80% avg in 80 credits and then bad score in final project, would I still fail whole year? Technically, I have high average still but the project is dragging it down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve_balmer)
    I also wanted to ask about the following: if one scores below 40% in the final project, of 40 credits, does it mean it is a failure and all other good marks matter not for final year? Do I have to "pass" all 120 credits? If I score low mark on the project, then other 80 credits marks would outweight the bad project mark. I already have around 85% avg secured from 60 credits of courseworks, needing to pass two more exams in May. So, if I get well over 80% avg in 80 credits and then bad score in final project, would I still fail whole year? Technically, I have high average still but the project is dragging it down.
    Every uni sets it's own marking scheme, so we have no way of knowing. As a matter of principle you do usually need to pass all the credits on your course to pass it. However under the English system, some unis can award an "Ordinary" (non-Honours) degree if you pass all the coursework but fail the dissertation/final project. However, we can't know whether your uni does this.

You need to ask someone where you are. I would suggest talking to your Student Union, who can also advise on how to invoke your uni's Mitigating Circumstances process. You might get a an extension to the deadline, or even be able to defer it for hand-in next year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.