Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by blissy)
    I think grockle is just a westcountry thing, but I just want to see if anyone else has heard of it
    i have never heard the word "grockle" used. Ever.

or "nang" for that matter..

as for slang that i used..ummmm i don't know.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else use the word "grockle"? As in... "there goes another grockle" or "that grockle shop". (Not giving away the meaning just yet )
    I certainly do use that word. On a daily basis at the moment. They are everywhere!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Me and my mates have invented a whole varity of slang words for us to use.
    do you have a geordie accent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Me and my mates have invented a whole varity of slang words for us to use.
    we've done that as well, pretty useful when the situation requires it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VixenIW)
    I certainly do use that word. On a daily basis at the moment. They are everywhere!
    Too damn right! Grockles out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    do you have a geordie accent?
    I live near Liverpool. Why would i speak Geordie?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    I live near Liverpool. Why would i speak Geordie?
    do you have a liverpudlian accent?

ReputationRep:
    Too damn right! Grockles out!
    lmao, absolutely. I was thinking about draining the solent so they can't get to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stressedstudent)
    I've been catching up with an old friend who'd moved to London and he keeps calling me "posh girl" because I don't know the terms he uses.

So, to start off, my friend called me "nang" and I have no idea what it means! Anyone?!
    u sound like a person i know, who gets called posh girl...but ah well.

theres not a direct meaning for it i dont thing, but it goes along the line of buff...well thats slang too so probably means pretty or beutiful! but as i said people use it differnt ways
    well its a gud thing anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    do you have a liverpudlian accent?
    I actually don't have an accent. If you heard me speak, you'd just know i was from the North.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VixenIW)
    lmao, absolutely. I was thinking about draining the solent so they can't get to me
    Unfortunately they can reach me by land.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately they can reach me by land.
    Poor you. Although they could still reach me if I drained the solent so maybe its not the best idea ever. Im just hoping for a total ban despite the fact my livelihood depends on them :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenbarnes)
    Ey up, gadge, I just seen this proper mad as bewer throw a radgie coz some monkey hanger stole her stottie.

Now I may have used all those terms regularly before, but I hope to god I've never actually used that many in the same sentence. And if anyone (not from Middlesbrough) can decipher that then fair play to you.
    Stottie if I am correct is a type of bread. Very nice indeed, I have to say.

ReputationRep:
    Well we've got:
    Bag Head (only a few people know what that means though)

(Original post by Dude)
    I actually don't have an accent. If you heard me speak, you'd just know i was from the North.
    that is the same with me..i don't have a liverpudlian accent despite living pretty close but you can tell i live in the North West..i do use some liverpool/cheshire slang though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyteacosie)
    that is the same with me..i don't have a liverpudlian accent despite living pretty close but you can tell i live in the North West..i do use some liverpool/cheshire slang though
    Don't know if I've got too much of an accent but accasionaly some people in America struggle to understand what I've said (one person even said that she didn't speak the same language!)

(Original post by Chubb)
    Don't know if I've got too much of an accent but accasionaly some people in America struggle to understand what I've said (one person even said that she didn't speak the same language!)
    lol

the thing with slang is, that i don't realise that what i say is local slang until somebody from somewhere else doesn't understand what i am saying. That doesn't happen too often..

ReputationRep:
    doesn't grockle mean tourist?

MB

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=goldenbarnes]Ey up, gadge, I just seen this proper mad as bewer throw a radgie coz some monkey hanger stole her stottie.

Hello/alright mate I've just seen this old person get very angry/kick off because someone from hartlepool stole her sandwich.

I reckon that's canny close wor lad.
    It's just geordiespeak with a twist of smog.
    BTW, I'm looking forward to the 14th when the geordies are gonna hammer you lot 3-0.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    doesn't grockle mean tourist?

MB
    It does indeed.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.