Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Does anyone else use the word "grockle"? As in... "there goes another grockle" or "that grockle shop". (Not giving away the meaning just yet )
    of course i know what grockle means! i'm from glorious devon, and they're everywhere atm! :rolleyes:

what about emmet? my mum's cornish and that's the cornish slang for tourist - its a bit more derogatory i think!

ReputationRep:
    One of my favourites has to be 'suck' ... although it's not really used as much as it was when I was younger ... people today are just too rude

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nufctillidie)

Hello/alright mate I've just seen this old person get very angry/kick off because someone from hartlepool stole her sandwich.

I reckon that's canny close wor lad.
    It's just geordiespeak with a twist of smog.
    BTW, I'm looking forward to the 14th when the geordies are gonna hammer you lot 3-0.
    Correct, except bewer = woman rather than old person. I'm going to enjoy it when we sing nasty nasty songs to Alan Shearer and sir Bobby takes him off because he can't take it, poor thing. Anyway, how is Bellamy's/Woodagate's/Dyer's/Jenas' hamstring/groin/knee* problems? * = delete in line with this month's injury of choice. Poor things.

Eye Eye.

(Original post by Nicci_babe)

ey up - hi
    gadge - guy/bloke/man ?? (i used it 4 tht)
    proper mad - angry
    radgie - fit/stress/strop
    coz - because
    monkey hanger ??????????????
    stottie - large flatish bread roll bun thing (nice)
    Monkey hanger = a person from Hartlepool, as legend has it back in the olden days a monkey landed on the coast after a shipwreck, they thought it was a Frenchman because it talked gibberish and hung it. Which was nice.

(Original post by scottyoneill)
    i find that half the people that use slang dont even know what it means.....i come from the wirral just over the river from liverpool and im out on liverpool most weekend nights and always get called a 'wool' by scallies....i daringly confronted one the other day to ask him what it meant, and he said "i dunno, but your f***in' one" ..............anyone else got an idea?
    i live on the wirral too!! my brother is constantly calling everyone a "wool" it is just a random word he says all the time. And shed too! and the thing with shed is that it has both good and bad meanings. Wool is acutally a term used for people from Lanchashire and also Wales. so maybe because we are from the wirral people in liverpool often lump us with wales. Although when my brother is saying it all the time he is just saying it for the sake of it!!

ReputationRep:
    I know what grockles are! And I'm not from the West country. My dad called me one once for some entirely unknown reason.

I don't think we have too much unique slang round here, though at school if you'd kissed someone you'd "got off with" them and in Cambridge nobody uses that, it's most definitely "pulled"

(Original post by Helenia)
    I know what grockles are! And I'm not from the West country. My dad called me one once for some entirely unknown reason.

I don't think we have too much unique slang round here, though at school if you'd kissed someone you'd "got off with" them and in Cambridge nobody uses that, it's most definitely "pulled"
    here it is both..although i always say "got off with"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyteacosie)
    here it is both..although i always say "got off with"
    we use either copping off or gettin off

ReputationRep:
    I cant think of any proper yorkshire slang that I use. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    I cant think of any proper yorkshire slang that I use. :confused:
    what about breadcake?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard of the 'band' Goldie Looking Chain? A spoof/mock up of Blazing Squad & 'townie folk' in general? Coming from the ever amazing Gwent, the language/phrases they use in their songs/raps is just normal round here! Including the nice language

'You *naughty word* knows it!'

skank
    I'm really hating/loving/liking something, not simply I really hate/love/like something
    'ave it! (ahhh such happy memories of the shouts as you enter the common room in semi awake state first thing on a Monday morning...)
    I d'do that I do (the d goes in front of everything & I do afterwards, I d'like cheese on my toast I do!...remember Helen from Big Brother years ago? typical Cwmbran accent!)

ReputationRep:
    People up here use 'ladgeful' (erm....hard to explain- sad (not the emotion), unfashionable, embarassing) and 'mega' (substitue for 'very') a lot; there's probably loads more, but I can't think of any right now.

i put like inbetween quite a lot of words randomly in sentences all the time. I think that is a bit of a liverpool quality because my friends in cheshire always laugh at me for it..

so for like example a sentence like would go like this like yeh it also gets like very like annoying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenbarnes)
    Ey up, gadge, I just seen this proper mad as bewer throw a radgie coz some monkey hanger stole her stottie.

Now I may have used all those terms regularly before, but I hope to god I've never actually used that many in the same sentence. And if anyone (not from Middlesbrough) can decipher that then fair play to you.
    just caught up so if someone's already done this.

Excuse me young sir, I have just aspied a young lady have a fit of rage due to a native of hartlypool stealing her . ok no idea what a stottie is but it sounds like food

ReputationRep:
    I think ive got the best slang, its half north london wannabee cockney and half sottish highland, so i can say

'MAGWAY theres stew awa and where me monk ya bampot i ken ya bidey ins half-inched it.....'

See if anyone can translate that little sentence (althought i think most of you will get the last two words)

ReputationRep:
    Alot of slang is used in London, tho I don't know if it is used in other parts of the country.

Bare= Lots e.g There were bare people at the rave
    Bredgwin= Friend
    Peeps=People
    PHAT= Physically Hot And Tempting (used by guys 2 describe girls)
    Munch=Food
    Chapping= Cold/Freezing
    Tims=Timberlands (boots)
    Bun=Cannabis
    Blazing=Smoking Cannabis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenbarnes)
    Monkey hanger = a person from Hartlepool, as legend has it back in the olden days a monkey landed on the coast after a shipwreck, they thought it was a Frenchman because it talked gibberish and hung it. Which was nice.
    My dad's a monkey hanger... It implies that people from Hartelpool are idiots, because they couldn't tell the difference between a monkey and a Frenchman. I believe I have a postcard with a monkey being hanged on it actually, I just don't know why I have it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyLucia2004)
    Alot of slang is used in London, tho I don't know if it is used in other parts of the country.

Bun=Cannabis
    Bun is normally used as a verb, so you say, ' im going for a bun' or wheres cossack, ' oh, he's bunning'

ReputationRep:
    ok, jus that i've heard people say it in the context in which i put down.

Ma bad! (more london slang which means my mistake/shame)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyLucia2004)
    ok, jus that i've heard people say it in the context in which i put down.

Ma bad! (more london slang which means my mistake/shame)
    its all gravy (a la Christian Milain and Romeo cos believe it or not we do actually say that in the ghetto that is north London and the Home Counties

ReputationRep:
    'MAGWAY theres stew awa and where me monk ya bampot i ken ya bidey ins half-inched it.....'

theres no trace of north london in there.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.