Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How To Cope With Little Sleep? Watch

I have to be up at half 3 tomorrow morning to get ready for an applicant day. I'm travelling a long way and so my first train to catch is 05:20. I intend to stay awake without napping so I can do some work on the train. I will be getting home around 22:00 on the night.

I plan on going to bed around 9 tonight. I know I should go earlier but I know I won't fall asleep, I'm taking kalms just to get asleep at 9. Is there anything I can do to stop me louching around tomorrow? I should be fine as I can normally cope for a long time with little sleep but I just want to make sure I stay alert so I'm paying attention at the uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have to be up at half 3 tomorrow morning to get ready for an applicant day. I'm travelling a long way and so my first train to catch is 05:20. I intend to stay awake without napping so I can do some work on the train. I will be getting home around 22:00 on the night.

I plan on going to bed around 9 tonight. I know I should go earlier but I know I won't fall asleep, I'm taking kalms just to get asleep at 9. Is there anything I can do to stop me louching around tomorrow? I should be fine as I can normally cope for a long time with little sleep but I just want to make sure I stay alert so I'm paying attention at the uni.
    When I clicked on this thread, I was expecting some extreme lack of sleep going on. It's just pointed out how bad my sleeplessness is! lol

Well, to answer your question. Coffee is only good if you can stretch the "awakeness" out from it. Counter intuitively, if you drink lots of coffee it will make you sleepier (unless its straight espressos)

Failing that, bite your own tongue (not massively hard, just enough to spike your attention) you can also pinch your cheeks quite hard. (thats a good one)

Realise that there will come a phase where your body just aggressively tells you to sleep. the only thing you can depend on in those moments is having something that keeps you awake (usually stuff like work or walks for me!) or getting something small to eat/coffee.

I have some idiosyncratic stuff I do to keep myself awake when I need, but the best thing is to have an iron will. If you dont let yourself get comfortable, you wont sleep. Dont even lean your head on something, dont give your body a chance to relax :-) good luck.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Make sure you are well fed, hydrated and get enough air. If you start feeling a bit sluggish have a quick walk outside and have some water. If caffeine works for you you can use it, but if you don't usually I might suggest you avoid it.
    Also try to take notes or record any talks so even if you do zone out a little you can always look back on them.

ReputationRep:
    Caffeine and keep moving! If you start to feel too comfortable or sleepy, go for a little walk or do a few star jumps :laugh:
    This is how I've been surviving at the library lately

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.