The Student Room Group

Missed out essay deadline for university

Was due in Wednesday and you lose 5% every day you hand it in late. Considering it's going to be 4 days soon since I've missed the deadline, that will be 20% off. I havent even started the essay should I just not bother doing it? The first year doesn't count for my subject and this is one of the side modules I've taken.
You can probably just leave it and take on an extra module in year two , but it'll be capped at 40%. Speak to your tutor though and make sure it is ok to do this . Even though , in most cases , first year doesn't count . You still need to pass in order to continue to second year.

I failed one module in year 2 because i missed an essay deadline , I did a 7th module in year 3 but it was capped at 40% so you could write the essay if your life but it can't be marked above 40. Overall , it didn't have much bearing of my overall grade (2:1) but obviously wasn't an amazing result .
Reply 2
Original post by grassntai
Was due in Wednesday and you lose 5% every day you hand it in late. Considering it's going to be 4 days soon since I've missed the deadline, that will be 20% off. I havent even started the essay should I just not bother doing it? The first year doesn't count for my subject and this is one of the side modules I've taken.

Here - you may need this if you drop out of uni.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-universal-credit
Reply 3
email your department or seminar tutor and ask for an extension, usually if its a formative essay they give one without having to submit mitigating circumstances form.
Reply 4

Don't you at least have to pass 1st year?

You may as well do it, it'll look really bad if you don't...

My uni takes 20% off per day.
Reply 5
Original post by Tomm1995
Here - you may need this if you drop out of uni.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-universal-credit

Aww that's so sweet. I'm fine actually going to a Russell group university with good A-levels. Perhaps you should look into it considering you seem well versed on that subject?

Original post by Supernova91
You can probably just leave it and take on an extra module in year two , but it'll be capped at 40%. Speak to your tutor though and make sure it is ok to do this . Even though , in most cases , first year doesn't count . You still need to pass in order to continue to second year.

I failed one module in year 2 because i missed an essay deadline , I did a 7th module in year 3 but it was capped at 40% so you could write the essay if your life but it can't be marked above 40. Overall , it didn't have much bearing of my overall grade (2:1) but obviously wasn't an amazing result .

If I fail this module or get a low grade on it, as long as I pass my other modules I should still be able to advance to year 2. My first year doesn't even count so I kinda feel I don't have much incentive to put much work in. All the essays I've done have been the day before the deadline and they've been mid 2:1s. You need 40% to pass this year anyway so I think I'll just leave it. Will be a bit embarrassing if my personal tutor brings it up though.
Reply 6
Aww that's so sweet. I'm fine actually going to a Russell group university with good A-levels. Perhaps you should look into it considering you seem well versed on that subject?

If I fail this module or get a low grade on it, as long as I pass my other modules I should still be able to advance to year 2. My first year doesn't even count so I kinda feel I don't have much incentive to put much work in. All the essays I've done have been the day before the deadline and they've been mid 2:1s. You need 40% to pass this year anyway so I think I'll just leave it. Will be a bit embarrassing if my personal tutor brings it up though.

I got A*A*AA at A Level, and go to a top 2 Russel Group university. I am just depressed and can't be bothered writing my essay either. I hate essays. My course is too hard for me though. I am lonely.
Reply 7
Original post by Tomm1995
I got A*A*AA at A Level, and go to a top 2 Russel Group university. I am just depressed and can't be bothered writing my essay either. I hate essays. My course is too hard for me though. I am lonely.

Whether you're poking fun at me or are being serious, I suggest you seek help elsewhere instead of trolling people on a student forum.
I think you would be better off trying to do it, you still have to pass the first year. Doubt you would want to repeat the year again.

Wow your uni is so lenient. If we miss the 10am deadline, it's an automatic 0.

How much is the essay worth?
Reply 10
Original post by cherryred90s
Wow your uni is so lenient. If we miss the 10am deadline, it's an automatic 0.

How much is the essay worth?

30% of one module (which is one of the side modules i picked)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stupidorb
email your department or seminar tutor and ask for an extension, usually if its a formative essay they give one without having to submit mitigating circumstances form.

I have never heard of a someone being granted an extension 4 days after the deadline and without a legitimate reason. Cheeky
30% of one module (which is one of the side modules i picked)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it's up to you, but worse case scenario you fail the module and have to resit the coursework in the summer. You'll likely get capped at 40% when you could get higher than that if you were to do it now

Quick Reply