The Student Room Group

Grade 9-1 English Literature

I'm currently in year 11 and we recently did two mocks in english literature (Jekyll and Hyde and Macbeth) and i'm really worried about my grades. I used to be getting A's and B's in literature and i got my results today and i got a 4A...
I'm not sure what to do as I put the same amount as effort in as before and i didn't do anything different.
Is anyone else struggling with how high the mark schemes/grade boundaries are and does anyone have any tips?
Thanks.
Original post by LJones191
I'm currently in year 11 and we recently did two mocks in english literature (Jekyll and Hyde and Macbeth) and i'm really worried about my grades. I used to be getting A's and B's in literature and i got my results today and i got a 4A...
I'm not sure what to do as I put the same amount as effort in as before and i didn't do anything different.
Is anyone else struggling with how high the mark schemes/grade boundaries are and does anyone have any tips?
Thanks.

They're only high right now becsuse they haven't been standardised.
When it comes round to the real thing the exam boards will realise very few (i.e. less than the intended 5%) are reaching the '9 grade' so will have to lower the grade boundaries
I can promise you most of the country is shoked by these boundaries so you're not alone

(My mum used to be on the SQA board - ik a bit different - but she says they're always lowered if not enough people are doing well enough)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by koala789
They're only high right now becsuse they haven't been standardised.
When it comes round to the real thing the exam boards will realise very few (i.e. less than the intended 5%) are reaching the '9 grade' so will have to lower the grade boundaries
I can promise you most of the country is shoked by these boundaries so you're not alone

(My mum used to be on the SQA board - ik a bit different - but she says they're always lowered if not enough people are doing well enough)

What do you personally expect the grade boundary will be for a grade 9? I just did pretty well on a Language Paper 2 and am wondering what grade I might have got in the real thing.
Thanks.

Love Macbeth! I do Jekyll and Hyde and Macbeth too.

If I was you I'd be proud at getting a 4 at this stage! I'm at a 4 in English Lit and a 6 in English Language right now. Depends on how high your expectations are.

Just keep at it, working, attending after school revision sessions and as well working with other Year 11 students on here and I'm sure you'll get your dream grade!

I'm in Year 11 too, message me!

Chin up :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by OpenDoor
Love Macbeth! I do Jekyll and Hyde and Macbeth too.

If I was you I'd be proud at getting a 4 at this stage! I'm at a 4 in English Lit and a 6 in English Language right now. Depends on how high your expectations are.

Just keep at it, working, attending after school revision sessions and as well working with other Year 11 students on here and I'm sure you'll get your dream grade!

I'm in Year 11 too, message me!

Chin up :smile:

I'm at a 6 in language and a 4 in literature too! I think the main reason for being so bothered is because i had my expectations high because of my language result. But thanks, i now know i definitely need to just keep trying and just keep working for it
Original post by e2014
What do you personally expect the grade boundary will be for a grade 9? I just did pretty well on a Language Paper 2 and am wondering what grade I might have got in the real thing.

This was AQA IGCSE English Lit 2016.
The Raw A* boundary averages out to be 71%.
Therefore meaning 71-86% represents a low A* (8) and 86%+ was a high A* (9)
So unless the exam questions somehow become dramatically easier, or markers more leniant (causing a higher average and thus higher grade boundaries) a 9 in English Literature will be (approximately) somewhere above 86% (probably could actually range from 90%-80%, but you get the idea)

However for English language it was 89% for an A* (8)
And (assuming the same things as in language) a 94% give or take would represent a high A* (9)

I hope this makes some sense!
So, since my English language noramlly come out about 91-89% in PPs I should be on track to get an 8
And in English lit I tend to get between 86-88% in PPs which would put me at the border between 8/9
I'd be happy with 2 8s though becasue I'm not planning on continuing English! (One of my worst subjects)
Thanks.

What was the question on macbeth ? I can send u my quotation bank with in depth analysis
Reply 8
Original post by whowannadate
What was the question on macbeth ? I can send u my quotation bank with in depth analysis

I cant remember the exact question but it was about Banquos importance and his role in the play
Reply 9
Original post by whowannadate

It wasn't me who you were saying this too but could you send me your quotation bank with in depth analysis? That sounds really useful!
Hey can u send the quotation bank with in depth analysis. Will b rlly helpful.
Reply 11
Can I have this too please
Original post by El34
Can I have this too please

If you've not seen in before I've written a couple of lit.blog entries this week on Macbeth and Sign of Four. You can find them here: examinershead.wordpress.com

Posted from TSR Mobile
what grade boundaries has your school been using?
Any suggestion on what it will be
I'm in year ten and getting grade 8/9 (my teacher says in my mock I will likely get a 9). I find it helps to use smartass words (e.g. belligerent, malaise, acrimony, chthonic, sololiquy, ect...) And good punctuation (fancy punctuation I guess). Idk if this is of any use but I hope so? :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending