Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which is the most practical/vocational health sector university course? Or career? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I'm at college doing level 3 health and social as I think I want to work in caring or looking after people who are ill. Illness and health really fascinate me and I want to be able to do everything I can to help people at crisis times in their life.

The thing is though I can get good grades and I don't think I am dumb (I got A*AABB grades at GCSE - missed a year of school so I only took 5) I really struggle academically. The idea of sitting and studying and doing work for hours and hours terrifies me, and I get really bad anxiety in classrooms which makes my OCD really bad so sometimes(quite a bit) I have to leave. I don't often have the motivation for doing classwork at home because I am really tired from life, and it's hard for me to work in college because i get really anxious. I also go through rough patches with my mental health occasionally where its really hard to focus at all, even enough to focus my eyes to look at someone and have a conversation.

Which degree could I get in health and social where the course is most vocational? I originally wanted to do childrens nursing or be a paramedic but I am worried I wont be able to handle the work load. Which is most focused on practical skills and care rather than memorizing and academic work?

Sometimes I think maybe working in health just isnt't for me, because I am sometimes so wobbly. But I don't know what else I would want to do..
    tia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by powerpuffshol)
    Hi!

tia
    All courses where you go to university are going to be academic. That's what university is all about. Nursing is 50% placement and 50% academia.
    It is a very difficult course and a lot of people do drop out. Paramedic science, ot, speech and language etc, although all involve working with people like, they also involve a lot of academic work.
    They're degrees for a reason. There is a lot of information you need to know to make you a good practitioner.
    Perhaps focus on your mental health first and take time out to gain experience in healthcare if that's where your interests lie. You have plenty of time to go to university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deviant182)
    All courses where you go to university are going to be academic. That's what university is all about. Nursing is 50% placement and 50% academia.
    It is a very difficult course and a lot of people do drop out. Paramedic science, ot, speech and language etc, although all involve working with people like, they also involve a lot of academic work.
    They're degrees for a reason. There is a lot of information you need to know to make you a good practitioner.
    Perhaps focus on your mental health first and take time out to gain experience in healthcare if that's where your interests lie. You have plenty of time to go to university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you know any examples of where I could get experience working in health care if I pass my college course? Would it be a good time to apply for support worker positions, or would I work up to that? Thank you for your response by the way!!

ReputationRep:
    You can apply for support worker positions of you're doing a qualification in healthcare. Qualifications are not mandatory for support workers etc but they ask that you be willing to work towards them if you don't have one already.
    Apply for jobs and do them for a while to allow you to gain some experience and then see where you want to go from there.
    Most healthcare university courses are not easy and you need to put yourself first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by powerpuffshol)
    Do you know any examples of where I could get experience working in health care if I pass my college course? Would it be a good time to apply for support worker positions, or would I work up to that? Thank you for your response by the way!!
    You can apply to health care assistant jobs at care homes - they are difficult with long hours and low pay, but are worth it if you want experience!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.