Turn on thread page Beta

Biology: Have I made a terrible mistake? What are my options now? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clueless<3)
    I completely agree. There's so much to learn (saying my memory is awful is an understatement) and I find application of knowledge hard. To get over this, I think I just need to do loads of past papers.

I make a set of notes for each topic using the book they provided us with and the spec. I would buy CGP (I used them all the way through GCSE) but there isn't one for Eduqas unfortunately. Making a list of my mistakes is a really good idea and will absolutely start doing that - it's not something I had thought of.

I know there isn't. I will revise less this weekend and see how it works out. I burned off before Christmas and spent half the holidays doing nothing but I think I needed that because now I'm more motivated and ready to work. You're right, I really I don't want to burn out before summer exams!

Thank you for replying x
    That's a shame there's no revision guide, CGP honestly have the best ones imo and cover everything you need to know. But like you said, doing past papers is the best way, once you finish the ones from your exam board you can even do papers from other boards. The content will be very similar and the more practice you get in applying your knowledge the better.

Best of luck and if you have any questions i'd be happy to help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloecrazy)
    Honestly, don't worry! I done really bad on my both my first tests, I failed them both. I had another mock today, but I don't feel as though that went too well.
    I remember getting my 2 fails back a couple of weeks ago, and I went into the school toilets and cried, because one of my teachers made me feel really stupid (my other teacher is lovely), and after that, I didn't want to go to his lessons, or do anything to do with biology.
    I considered dropping it (and sometimes, I still wish I had) but then when I watch revision videos, I know why I didn't,it is really interesting and I do have a genuine interest in it. And ultimately that is all that happens.
    What I'm going to do is read ahead in the textbook and make notes, so I have knowledge of what we're doing before we do it, so I won't feel as stupid, especially since my teacher picks on people to answer questions and there's only 10 of us in the class!
    I'm in year 12 and on OCR A too, but we could definitely help each Other!!
    Today me and 2 of my friends revised together for 3 hours, and it was so much help! So I'd definitely suggest doing that, as it's much more fun doing it with friends than on your own.

Good luck, and I know you can get through this! x
    I'm sure you did better than you think you did! I do like biology and it does interest me, which makes it even more annoying that I find it so hard. What revision videos do you watch?

We already have to do that. We have to take notes from the book, video and spec before lesson and then we only go over the hardest parts in lesson. Your class being so small sounds stressful:ahee:At least I can hide behind my big class when he's looking to ask someone a question (even though he almost always ignores me because he knows I won't be able to answer the question).

The revising with friends sounds like a good idea!

Thank you for replying, it's really lovely to know so many people on here think I can do this x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    That's a shame there's no revision guide, CGP honestly have the best ones imo and cover everything you need to know. But like you said, doing past papers is the best way, once you finish the ones from your exam board you can even do papers from other boards. The content will be very similar and the more practice you get in applying your knowledge the better.

Best of luck and if you have any questions i'd be happy to help
    I agree, I used it for science GCSE and it was so clear and simple to understand. Hopefully, they'll bring one out for Eduqas!
    I am working my way through exam papers and will use other boards when I run out (thank you for this suggestion).

Thank you for the offer, I will message you if I need help!x

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you did better than you think you did! I do like biology and it does interest me, which makes it even more annoying that I find it so hard. What revision videos do you watch?

We already have to do that. We have to take notes from the book, video and spec before lesson and then we only go over the hardest parts in lesson. Your class being so small sounds stressful:ahee:At least I can hide behind my big class when he's looking to ask someone a question (even though he almost always ignores me because he knows I won't be able to answer the question).

The revising with friends sounds like a good idea!

Thank you for replying, it's really lovely to know so many people on here think I can do this x
    I just search up the topic I'm doing and watch a few different videos, I also find it useful drawing diagrams and annotating them.
    Thank you for your positivity, but I really don't think I did, our teacher put all things that we've never done before on the test!

He always picks on me for questions.
    Revising with friends is good, even if they don't do biology, if you make mind maps or flash cards they can create questions for you, and because they won't know, you'll have to teach them why the answer is what it is!
    It always turns into a competition with my friends though, because I may be a tad competitive!

You can definitely do it! Instead of doing 8 hours at the weekend, do any homework, and then 1 hour an evening everyday. That splits it up, and you should be able to absorb it better. Also, try doing different parts in different places in your house, then the work doesn't seem to be as heavy (it works, trust me!)

I'm doing psychology too, and I'm really loving it!

Again good luck! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloecrazy)
    I just search up the topic I'm doing and watch a few different videos, I also find it useful drawing diagrams and annotating them.
    Thank you for your positivity, but I really don't think I did, our teacher put all things that we've never done before on the test!

He always picks on me for questions.
    Revising with friends is good, even if they don't do biology, if you make mind maps or flash cards they can create questions for you, and because they won't know, you'll have to teach them why the answer is what it is!
    It always turns into a competition with my friends though, because I may be a tad competitive!

You can definitely do it! Instead of doing 8 hours at the weekend, do any homework, and then 1 hour an evening everyday. That splits it up, and you should be able to absorb it better. Also, try doing different parts in different places in your house, then the work doesn't seem to be as heavy (it works, trust me!)

I'm doing psychology too, and I'm really loving it!

Again good luck! x
    I do that and I find drawing and annotating diagrams useful too.

If you haven't even done the things in the paper then the chances are everyone in the class has got them wrong. He should then realise this and cover them. You can't be blamed if he hasn't taught it to you.

I hate it when teachers ask me questions. I freeze up, go red and stut

Oooh, I really like that idea! I bet it doesn't even seem like revision, just like hanging out with friends and having a good time.

I shall do that. I've never heard of doing work in different areas of the house, I'll give it a go!

Thanks again for all your tips, advice and being so friendly x

ReputationRep:
    At the start of the year, we all got given a book which is written by a senior person of Eduqas so I use that. Our teachers also make videos and put them up on youtube which I use in addition to channels like Bozeman Science etc. I also use the information that they give us which tells us how to structure our notes and what to include in them x
    Ahh okay anyways message me if you ever need anything x

ReputationRep:
    I do Edexcel Biology (A2). The Jump between Unit 4 and Unit 5 is scarily big 😂😂😂. But on an important note, push through AS if you can and take on board what others have said. I'm assuming you're on the New Spec from 2015 like my younger brother so exams are done at the end of the two years. You are doing so much more than I ever did in year 12. I was similar in the fact I flopped the mocks back then but secured a BCC overall (I'm on Old Spec so I did the official exams in year 12). From what I've read, remembering and applying the knowledge is a problem. Tbf you are doing what a textbook definition of a student should be. Maybe ask your biology teacher(s) for question packs on specific topics or areas you can't do, and also practice answering common phrased questions (e.g. describe how the heart works [6 marks], look at material then answer question, then correct, then look at material, then redo question, etc etc.). I find that having a friend and talking about the biology helps understanding it, ESPECIALLY if it's you that tells the other person. Me and my mate did this a lot and we had it all nailed down from repetition and playing around with the concepts (making stupid jokes and applying it to the real world).

If you feel you can't last through, there is an *alternative* route to Nursing (I applied to Mental Health Nursing last year, got the offer but didn't get the grades 😂 so i'm resitting A2 and doing something different). But personally I think if you are getting Bs and As in your other subjects then there's no point, but I'll talk a bit on it anyway.

{You could do the Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Health & Social Care, which is a recognised qualification for university level nursing. You'll have to do your research on it but if you find yourself that A Levels just aren't cutting it, then go for this. You'll have to find which colleges/sixth forms offer it though. I think Universities typically ask DMM to DDD from it. If your college offers it then maybe do it there but they may ask for you to drop to one A level.}

Good luck on what you do. I know from my brother that it's a stressful point, the he does more revision than me now but still lags behind unfortunately, though he's getting better with time.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm in my first year too and also really struggling in biology. Everything that you have has described me exactly!
    In my case I have found that I'm not answering questions properly by leaving out terminology that you gain marks for.
    I find that practice questions, that you can find online or from your teachers, have really helped. Also the CPG guide is really helpful !
    Have you talked to teacher about what is making you lose marks ?
    Xx

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.