Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I lived in student accommodation this year at UoL and hated it don't know what to do
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nottsstudent96)
    I lived in student accommodation this year at UoL and hated it don't know what to do
    In which case it may well be best to commute if you wasn't comfortable at uni accommodation (or didn't like it for any other reason).

Especially if you live close enough to commute (as if you live close enough, it will be cheaper to commute).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    From what other DMU commuters told me (who commuted by car) the car parking was more than £3 per day, so the park and ride option is much better in that respect. Don't know how full the park&ride gets or what times the connecting buses are.

It would have been annoying coming in for 1 or 2 hours, especially when I was paying £14 per day for a peak train ticket (with railcard discount).

No worries, glad to have helped
    Yeah i would have thought city centre car parks, especially if they're NCP ones wouls be quite high.

I'm a 'mature student' as they say, but i really don't know anything about timetables etc so all the information given from everyone has been very helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lorelei80)
    Anglia ruskin in Cambridge is my other choice. It appears that ARU had more chemistry content but if DMU have the same content (the website is not very specific) then I will go with then. They are both the same distance so it doesn't make that much difference but I just want to enjoy the course as much as possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah i guess if you'd prefer one course over the other then thats the best to go for. I found DMU pretty useful for showing the course overview (for my course anyway) Have you been to an open day? Maybe someone at DMU could confirm the content and help you make up your mind?

ReputationRep:
    I have one coming up, I'm going to probe some people to get more details.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TiffToff9)
    I've just confirmed my offer and will be starting in september. Just wondering if anyone else is starting and if you're commuting aswell. And where from?
    From Birmingham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MomoAlas)
    From Birmingham
    Will you be driving or getting the train?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I recently graduated from DMU and during my time there, I commuted to and from campus via the bus for my course (Journalism and Media). I found that it was too bad as usually my buses ran quite late so I could go out with friends after lectures or stay behind in the library for awhile to do some work. I didn't find that it was too bad as you can get student bus tickets (not sure if it's the same for park and rides but fairly certain Arriva and Stagecoach do) for the year or you could do a monthly ticket, depending on what you wanted to do?

With car parking, it is a little limited as we're very close to the city centre (being only a 5/10 minute walk) so our car parking tends to be reserved for staff or for those with mobility issues. However, there is a car park on St. Augustine's Road (just before St. Nicholas' Circle (postcode LE3 5LU) which is usually £3 for the whole day and is open from 6.30am until 7.30pm I believe. That may be the best one to aim for and is only a short walk from campus!

We're a 10/15 minute walk from the train station so again not to far, and I know my friend commuted from Nottingham for her lectures and she seemed to make it to all her lectures and seminars fine.

My timetable stayed pretty consistent for the year, there may only be slight changes whereby you may have an extra seminar one week or a room change but nothing too drastic.

If you have any more questions about commuting or about my course, please let me know and I'll be happy to help!

Take care,

Emi

ReputationRep:
    I've just confirmed my offer and will be starting in september. Just wondering if anyone else is starting and if you're commuting aswell. And where from?
    Hiya im thinking of commuting from birmingham to dmu in oct hopefully it isnt too bad.
    sairah

ReputationRep:
    Hiya im commuting from Birmingham to dmu because i cant find accommodation but hopefully my timetable isn't that bad.
    Sairah
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

We're directing everyone to talk about accommodation on the following thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4901228

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MomoAlas)
    From Birmingham
    Me too via train tho.

ReputationRep:
    how long does it take to commuate from and how much does it cost
    (Original post by sairah1)
    Me too via train tho.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.