Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm having a serious dilemma with a grade I received. I don't normally dispute grades but right now this is plaguing my mind. I'm currently in my second year of university and I have found myself in an all too familiar situation this year.

Research methods at my university requires group work, which I despise, because I'm an overachiever and I tend to let others get away with doing very little (I know, I need to work on this). But this isn't the main issue I have.
    My group were graded individually for our lab reports. I recieved my feedback and was thoroughly confused at some of the points the marker claimed I needed to improve, such as referencing. I have never been told my referencing was wrong, it is always great. There were other comments I didn't agree with too. Then I came to find out that two other members of my group, who constantly asked me for help with their reports, resulting in basically the same information in all of our reports, received grades of high 2:1's. Whereas I received a high 3rd.

This has confused me so much. I have no idea how this has happened and the only solution I can come to is that the two other members of my group had their work graded by a more lenient marker. I know that our work is not graded by the same professor for each assignment. I worked very hard on this experiment and the report and feel as though I have cheated by the system my university have in place.

I'm currently in the process of discussing this with my module leader. I'm awaiting a response but I am concerned that they will merely tell me to email the person who marked my work. I don't think this will help me, the issue is with the difference of opinion between the markers. This has happened to me before and last time I let it go, because it was my first year and I knew it didn't count. Is there anything I can do? I feel betrayed. I'm angry with the amount of work I put in compared to the others in my group to receive a terrible grade.

I'm really not the sort of person to dispute grades unless I feel it is really unjust. I should also mention that I had submitted the work three times and I am concerned the marker may have marked the first submission despite us being told we could submit updated work and that would be the one that would be marked. Apologies for the long post, I'm just at a loss of what to do.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imnotateacake)
    So, I'm having a serious dilemma with a grade I received. I don't normally dispute grades but right now this is plaguing my mind. I'm currently in my second year of university and I have found myself in an all too familiar situation this year.

Research methods at my university requires group work, which I despise, because I'm an overachiever and I tend to let others get away with doing very little (I know, I need to work on this). But this isn't the main issue I have.
    My group were graded individually for our lab reports. I recieved my feedback and was thoroughly confused at some of the points the marker claimed I needed to improve, such as referencing. I have never been told my referencing was wrong, it is always great. There were other comments I didn't agree with too. Then I came to find out that two other members of my group, who constantly asked me for help with their reports, resulting in basically the same information in all of our reports, received grades of high 2:1's. Whereas I received a high 3rd.

This has confused me so much. I have no idea how this has happened and the only solution I can come to is that the two other members of my group had their work graded by a more lenient marker. I know that our work is not graded by the same professor for each assignment. I worked very hard on this experiment and the report and feel as though I have cheated by the system my university have in place.

I'm currently in the process of discussing this with my module leader. I'm awaiting a response but I am concerned that they will merely tell me to email the person who marked my work. I don't think this will help me, the issue is with the difference of opinion between the markers. This has happened to me before and last time I let it go, because it was my first year and I knew it didn't count. Is there anything I can do? I feel betrayed. I'm angry with the amount of work I put in compared to the others in my group to receive a terrible grade.

I'm really not the sort of person to dispute grades unless I feel it is really unjust. I should also mention that I had submitted the work three times and I am concerned the marker may have marked the first submission despite us being told we could submit updated work and that would be the one that would be marked. Apologies for the long post, I'm just at a loss of what to do.
    I think you're right to take this further - it does sound like there might be a mix up or inconsistent marking happening here.

Have you spoken to your course rep (usually a student on your course) to find out if there have been any other similar issues from other people on the module?

I'd recommend talking to your student union too to get some support - despite what most people think a SU is there to help students of a university navigate the bureaucracy of the organisation not to provide cheap alcohol and curly fries.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.