Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Libertarian Party Question Time - Ask A Porcupine! Watch

• Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    The Rt Hon. RayApparently MP, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and Secretary of State for International Development would like to be added to the list of 'other supporters of formation'. :awesome:

It is obvious that there are several highly contentious social and a few economic policies that would drive a wedge between 'libertarians', conservatives and liberals. Good luck.
    Wehey, thank you my good man! I have done exactly as you asked
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Wehey, thank you my good man! I have done exactly as you asked
    :rofl: Aye, you have - thanks. :rofl:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I've burned those bridges???

We're still a centrist party on a centrist policy platform, equally prepared to work with the left and the right.

I'm probably as annoyed as the Tories - it will cost us votes at the next election - but it's niche enough and there's no reason it shouldn't actually form if it can get the members.

I've already spoken to people that may wish to defect. They know where they stand and the decision is theres. No hard feelings - it's just politics, and the Liberals have the membership to cope easily.

Also, you say it like I've been rejecting centre left people. I've continued to recruit both left-libertarians and right-libertarians, it's just that the left are better at taking those members off me than the right

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Noone's going to be surprised to hear that I hope the Libers gobble up your right-wing faction.

Spoiler:
    Show

Then maybe the lab - lib love affair can continue. Inb4 the hoards of angry Socs open relationship anyone? This is an era of libertarians after all.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Come off it, I bet you're vexed. It isn't so much a numbers problem, you will still have members even if all these people defect; your problem is surely a political one. You have spent the best part of two years pushing the TSR Liberal party into a Libertarian mould, recruiting libertarian-minded Tories at the expense of centrist and centre-left social democrats. If there is to be a proper and active Libertarian party then the Liberals will have to differentiate themselves somehow, but how? You can't move back to the centre and appeal to what we might call 'real Lib Dems' (not Orange Bookers), you've burned those bridges.

:rofl:
    I think they could occupy the centre again just fine and, relevantly, even with their various libertarian members they have not looked particularly libertarian. That said, I would have been willing to allow dual-memberships, in recognition of the fact that there is some common ground. Party leaders who fear competition obviously don't want to allow that, which is fine with me. It just seems unfair on the members of this House, which could desperately use another relevant party. Anyone who does't see that plurality and diversity is good for the ongoing health of the House is either selfish, or woefully unfit to steer its future.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

No hard feelings - it's just politics

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This.

Just so it is clear, to my knowledge there is no personal issue between me and Petros. I just couldn't stay a Liberal and try to form this party after he changed his mind about dual memberships - it would be an obvious conflict of interests. I have a very good relationship with pretty much all of the major members of his party, libertarian or otherwise.

He should have been more forthcoming, but politics gna politics :lol:
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: Aye, you have - thanks. :rofl:
    Adds a sense of gravitas, don't you think :lol:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Adds a sense of gravitas, don't you think :lol:
    Certainly.

Spoiler:
    Show

Note to self: next time, add more titles
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Certainly.

Spoiler:
    Show

Note to self: next time, add more titles

His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor RayApparently Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the Tory Empire on TSR in General and the MHoC in Particular
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor RayApparently Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the Tory Empire on TSR in General and the MHoC in Particular
    Oooh, I especially like the 'Conqueror of the Tory Empire' bit.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I've burned those bridges???

We're still a centrist party on a centrist policy platform, equally prepared to work with the left and the right.

I'm probably as annoyed as the Tories - it will cost us votes at the next election - but it's niche enough and there's no reason it shouldn't actually form if it can get the members.

I've already spoken to people that may wish to defect. They know where they stand and the decision is theres. No hard feelings - it's just politics, and the Liberals have the membership to cope easily.

Also, you say it like I've been rejecting centre left people. I've continued to recruit both left-libertarians and right-libertarians, it's just that the left are better at taking those members off me than the right

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, I think you have burned those bridges. Perhaps centre-left newbies joining the MHoC might make their home in the Liberal party once more, they don't know any better, but I don't think anyone who has watched the Tory-isation of the Liberal party over the past year would ever trust you not to move the party back to the right if you thought it was politically expedient.

You are not a centrist party but we've had this debate far too many times. We will have to agree to disagree on that point.

Left-libertarians =/= centre-left social democrats (the latter have effectively been forced out by your decision to accept a bunch of Tories). You may not reject left-leaning people, but your decision to admit so many Tories isolated the lefties you had and ensured few others would want to join. There's no way back to centre-ground politics after admitting ardent Farage and Trump fans.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think you have burned those bridges. Perhaps centre-left newbies joining the MHoC might make their home in the Liberal party once more, they don't know any better, but I don't think anyone who has watched the Tory-isation of the Liberal party over the past year would ever trust you not to move the party back to the right if you thought it was politically expedient.

You are not a centrist party but we've had this debate far too many times. We will have to agree to disagree on that point.

Left-libertarians =/= centre-left social democrats (the former have effectively been forced out by your decision to accept a bunch of Tories). You may not reject left-leaning people, but your decision to admit so many Tories isolated the lefties you had and ensured few others would want to join. There's no way back to centre-ground politics after admitting ardent Farage and Trump fans.
    Did any lefties other than yourself leave the Lib Dems?
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Did any lefties other than yourself leave the Lib Dems?
    Aph, the others just went inactive.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Aph, the others just went inactive.
    Aph was never a Liberal to be fair and i've never been able to pin down Joel's politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Aph was never a Liberal to be fair and i've never been able to pin down Joel's politics.
    Pretty sure he's turning Communist now.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    This.

Just so it is clear, to my knowledge there is no personal issue between me and Petros. I just couldn't stay a Liberal and try to form this party after he changed his mind about dual memberships - it would be an obvious conflict of interests. I have a very good relationship with pretty much all of the major members of his party, libertarian or otherwise.

He should have been more forthcoming, but politics gna politics :lol:
    I agree. You still have top banter, it's just not in my interests as a liberal to support this
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I agree. You still have top banter, it's just not in my interests as a liberal to support this
    If elected Speaker, could you be trusted to act impartially with regard to the approval or lack thereof of the Libertarians?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    If elected Speaker, could you be trusted to act impartially with regard to the approval or lack thereof of the Libertarians?
    Of course. I've already stated my requirements for them forming in the Q&A. Nothing changes

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Of course. I've already stated my requirements for them forming in the Q&A. Nothing changes

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fair enough.

If you reject them you'll get accused by some people of bring partisan whatever the reason though xD
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough.

If you reject them you'll get accused by some people of bring partisan whatever the reason though xD
    Oh I know, but we'll deal with that if that's what happens

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough.
    Oh I know, but we'll deal with that if that's what happens
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    For the record, there are situations where I think it would be legitimate to decline the party. I wouldn't claim Petros was being partisan unless he obviously was.

It just doesn't seem sensible for any of those situations to include me, J&T and a couple of other members being willing to join a party that is creating and debating legislation before it even exists. If that is an insufficient standard of participation, the consistent thing will then be to shut down UKIP and the Greens as a minimum.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.