Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Libertarian Party Question Time - Ask A Porcupine! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    Connor27

Your role as defense dude, what exactly are your opinions on that jazz? In terms of army funding, intervention blah blah.
    I'm certainly in favour of defence funding, I believe we should definitely meet the 2% GDP NATO minimum and probably even slightly more than that.

All interventions would be subject to a vote in parliament; these would only be called in exceptional circumstances if I had my way; it would be as part of a NATO or UN led mission and we in government would have to deem it a suitable crisis as well.

I'm not an isolationist but certainly not a foreigner policy hawk either.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    What's the suggestions for our chat thread title btw?

I'm up for "The Griffin's Roost" - assuming that bird on the OP is a griffin.
    The Tiger's Den

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    The Tiger's Den
    Good meme 8/10.

We aren't related to the collectivist 'liberal' party
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    What's the suggestions for our chat thread title btw?

I'm up for "The Griffin's Roost" - assuming that bird on the OP is a griffin.
    You're only creating one chat thread? You authoritarians! You should create 15 so that members have a free choice as to which to use and then market forces will establish the dominant one, as well as determining its name
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    You're only creating one chat thread? You authoritarians! You should create 15 so that members have a free choice as to which to use and then market forces will establish the dominant one, as well as determining its name
    We won't have a chat thread. No time for that nonsense. We've got to save the people from the:

• Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    We won't have a chat thread. No time for that nonsense. We've got to save the people from the:

PRSOM:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    The Dove's Nest
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I still support the party's formation but I must say I'm dissapointed on the defence and immigration stance. If this party was anti-militarist and pro-immigration I'd be much more convinced that the ideological foundation was based around allowing individuals the freedom to reach their potential and not about cutting taxes for the wealthy.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladstone1885)
    The Dove's Nest
    Ah yes, we will definitely have a vote on some options for that when we have the forum :yes:

I'm thinking:

Which will unfortunately go over the heads of anyone who isn't a Star Trek fan :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Ideologically, this party is me almost 100% (I take issue with your vague stance on immigration which I feel strongly about).

But I wouldn't want to abandon the Tories (even though, I'm far closer to you, ideologically, than I am to the Conservatives). I'm too wedded to Thatcherism to give it up although the current party under Mrs May is about as far from Thatcherism as I am from Bevanism.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I still support the party's formation but I must say I'm dissapointed on the defence and immigration stance. If this party was anti-militarist and pro-immigration I'd be much more convinced that the ideological foundation was based around allowing individuals the freedom to reach their potential and not about cutting taxes for the wealthy.
    It is a necessity that a sovereign nation must maintain a military force. We don't support intervening unnecessarily, nor do we consider we are obligated to police the world. We are committed to NATO, for reasons that should be evident. I don't consider this militaristic, honestly.

The immigration point has been dealt with in the thread, though I don't blame you for not reading through. Essentially, the OP contains some pragmatic reactions to the status-quo. I don't think it is sensible to relax immigration controls until we have established a number of other policies. The end game, though, would involve completely open borders (defence needs excepted), but with no assumption of welfare access.

A broader point: everything in the OP was written by me in perhaps ten minutes. It was meant as a flavour of the types of policies such a party might promote. All of it is subject to change, and no doubt a reasonable amount of it will.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowMan)
    Ideologically, this party is me almost 100% (I take issue with your vague stance on immigration which I feel strongly about).

But I wouldn't want to abandon the Tories (even though, I'm far closer to you, ideologically, than I am to the Conservatives). I'm too wedded to Thatcherism to give it up although the current party under Mrs May is about as far from Thatcherism as I am from Bevanism.
    I see. I respect that - if you change your mind in the future, or if the Tories relax their stance on dual membership, I'm sure we can work something out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowMan)

I think you'll find that we end up being more Thatcherite than the Tories, as they are a bigger tent.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladstone1885)
    I think you'll find that we end up being more Thatcherite than the Tories, as they are a bigger tent.
    Socially conservative parties, my favourite!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The Tories aren't socially conservative Petro (contrast them with US Republicans - they are socially conservative).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You better hope you win the speaker ship contest , its looking like the liberal party is dying and there is nothing left to lead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleky6910)
    You better hope u won the speaker ship contest , its looking like the liberal party is dying and there is nothing left to lead
    The liberal party is dying and most of them are defecting to the Labour Party

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedManc)
    The liberal party is dying and most of them are defecting to the Labour Party
    No they are defecting to the libertarians
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Every single member of the Liberal party begged me to let them join, but in the interests of the House I rejected enough of them to allow the Liberals to fill their MP seats.

I only accepted the very best members. See zombies above for accurate meme about current Liberal party.

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Every single member of the Liberal party begged me to let them join, but in the interests of the House I rejected enough of them to allow the Liberals to fill their MP seats.

I only accepted the very best members. See zombies above for accurate meme about current Liberal party.

It's not just the liberals, it's every party, and the greens

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.