Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Libertarian Party Question Time - Ask A Porcupine! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    #LibDemFightback #LibDemMajority2020

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you win the speakership call an early GE as the libertarians have formed. We can test the liberals performace

ReputationRep:
    Connor wasn't an MP and who else? No one has come to me, left the usergroup, or posted a leaving message like the two of you, and they will have to do that if they wish.

Or you know, they could actually continue to have a vote, be able to influence policy in a powerful party, and perhaps form part of the leadership if I become Speaker.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Either joe and titan haven't yet or don't intend to then. Or aren't MP's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedManc)
    It was a joke. mobbsy91 is definitely a conservative
    Spoiler:
    Show

Cameron was worse than Brown

Not really , unemployment down , deficit fallen, fastest recovery in the G8. Legalised gay marriage .
    Brown sold our gold reserves at all time lows, ran a deficit in an economic boom when he could've easily run a surplus.

ReputationRep:
    Bad on stuff like House of Lords and Electoral reform, but perhaps the average voter doesn't care about that.

However, this is a party claiming to be Libertarian. If they start enacting socially conservative/authoritarian policies it's not really libertarian is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We just tried to legalize incest lol

ReputationRep:
    Connor claimed the Libertarians would be more Thatcherite than the Tories. One can only assume what he meant by that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol, oh right. Confusion resolved.

The Thacherite wing is generally not authoritarian. Andrew Sullivan, the gay Catholic conservative is what most Thacherites look like (minus the gay and the Catholic bit). Fiscally conservative, socially liberal.

So his view was that the Libertarians would be even more fiscally conservative and even more socially liberal than the Thacherites. I.e. more Thatcherites than the Thatcherites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    In response to Snufkin - personally, I don't regret having them in the party. I think they were very proactive members of the party and did a good job representing us. Their childish digs at the Liberals now they have been 'enlightened' or whatever are somewhat disappointing, however. The Liberals will always exist in some form, that remains to be seen for the hopefuls wishing to form the Libertarian Party. I'd advise them to tone down their smugness just a little bit; at least until they're an official party.
    You basically confirming you'll turn them into the TSR SDP if you get the leadership.

Also, if Petros did prevent our formation on ideological grounds (that's what it would be, we have the 10 members, a leadership structure in place and have submitted more legislation than the greens and UKIP have all term already) then I imagine his term as speaker will be a relatively short one.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladstone1885)
    We just tried to legalize incest lol
    Decriminalise

And I supported you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladstone1885)
    Either joe and titan haven't yet or don't intend to then. Or aren't MP's?
    Titan's confirmed he won't be. I haven't spoken to Joe in a day or two, but I think Leadership ambitions will keep in the Liberals

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The Liberal Party is dying because two members (a non-MP and a very new member/MP) defected? Jesus Christ you lot make me laugh

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A non MP that contributed more to the party than half of your MPs in the last two months.

Also, both Joe and Titan are defecting, they just haven't told you yet clearly...
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    You basically confirming you'll turn them into the TSR SDP if you get the leadership.

Also, if Petros did prevent our formation on ideological grounds (that's what it would be, we have the 10 members, a leadership structure in place and have submitted more legislation than the greens and UKIP have all term already) then I imagine his term as speaker will be a relatively short one.
    The way the Liberal Party works, it'd be near impossible to shift the party much either way. If you stuck around long enough you'd perhaps know that.

I think everyone knows me well enough to know I won't block this party on ideological grounds. We'll see when the time comes, if it comes, but the worst it would be is "get one or two more members and come back to me" probably

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

This confirms you haven't even bothered to read my other post. I am not running for leadership.

Petros wouldn't do that anyway. That isn't what my post said. Essentially, don't run before you can walk. It's just embarrassing and there's no need for it. I'd much prefer if our two parties got on instead of you guys making ridiculous, petty digs all of the time.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Well this is all kicking off :lol:

Won't somebody please think of the children :moon:

• Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    A non MP that contributed more to the party than half of your MPs in the last two months.

Also, both Joe and Titan are defecting, they just haven't told you yet clearly...
    Titan isn't defecting, and if he wanted to, he was given every opportunity to. If he defects now, he'd lose a lot of my respect.

I can't see Joe defecting but I haven't actually spoken to him in the last day or two so I can't say anything about that.

You wrote a short motion that I extended and edited. It's hardly anything to shout about mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Titan isn't defecting, and if he wanted to, he was given every opportunity to. If he defects now, he'd lose a lot of my respect.

I can't see Joe defecting but I haven't actually spoken to him in the last day or two so I can't say anything about that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It appears Titan has given us contradictory information then.

ReputationRep:

I can't see Joe defecting but I haven't actually spoken to him in the last day or two so I can't say anything about that.

You wrote a short motion that I extended and edited. It's hardly anything to shout about mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Still one short motion more than everyone else; bar Gladstone, Joe and 04MR17.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    It appears Titan has given us contradictory information then.
    Time will eventually reveal all. I will put my trust in what he has told me - he knows where we stand now and where we will stand should he defect after being given a free opportunity to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Connor claimed the Libertarians would be more Thatcherite than the Tories. One can only assume what he meant by that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't recall saying that; quote please?
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    For what it's worth, I want everyone to be in the party they want to be in. Defectors are welcome, but if anyone who has claimed to want to join changes their mind that's fine with me too. It's not a huge deal - I would rather everyone was just clear about their intentions.

Let's all try to remain friends :borat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    For what it's worth, I want everyone to be in the party they want to be in. Defectors are welcome, but if anyone who has claimed to want to join changes their mind that's fine with me too. It's not a huge deal - I would rather everyone was just clear about their intentions.

Let's all try to remain friends :borat:
    Don't be like this. I want drama.

Guys, ByronicHero just PMed that his ultimate goal is to destroy the Conservatives and keep the diamonds that are the libertarian conservatives (not bragging, it's the truth) for his party.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I don't recall saying that; quote please?
    Apologies, it was Gladstone

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.