Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Libertarian Party Question Time - Ask A Porcupine! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melancholy)
    ****ing love human clothing.
    You love human clothing!? :lolwut: so you like wearing human skin then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melancholy)
    People with autism are adults, in terms of age, but their ability to think (which I would expect to be the morally significant motivation behind the Libertarian's arbitrary distinction between children and adults) is somewhat impaired (depending on the type of autism).
    Could I ask whether you're on the autistic spectrum yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladstone1885)
    Ideally you would link consent with mental capacity, but since there is a strong correlation between age and mental capacity, and because nobody matures at the exact same rate, it makes much more sense to set a rough age of consent for all of society.
    I agree with this. Although age isn't the best indicator, it is by far the most practical one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Could I ask whether you're on the autistic spectrum yourself?
    You can - I am not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    What are your views on human cloning? :holmes:
    Clothing made from or by humans? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, what do we all think of abortion as a party because many libertarians I've met are very pro-life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heri2rs)
    Out of interest, what do we all think of abortion as a party because many libertarians I've met are very pro-life
    Personally I would say I'm prolife but smart enough to realise that banning abortion is just go to lead to the deaths of more people or people going abroad to get one.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Aggressively pro-choice, personally.

ReputationRep:
    Pro choice, people deserve absolute sovereignty over their own bodies.

Also, foetuses are not people until they're born, they're parasites that need the woman for sustenance, and therefore by extension part of the woman's body.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Should the age of consent be removed and necrophilia be made legal, why should two consenting individuals not be allowed to have sex for something as arbitrary as their age, and the dead aren't harmed at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Pro-choice.

ReputationRep:
    Where do property rights come from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    The natural human instinct to feel entitled to the fruits of your labour and neurological concept of possession that has existed since the era of the cave man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    The natural human instinct to feel entitled to the fruits of your labour and neurological concept of possession that has existed since the era of the cave man.
    So a sense of entitlement leads to a right? Is that a precedent you want to set?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Some ******* estate agent.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Some ******* estate agent.
    Lol

ReputationRep:
    So a sense of entitlement leads to a right? Is that a precedent you want to set?
    I don't believe in absolutism, some elements of human nature are negative and destructive, others are positive and productive, this falls into the latter category.

The former is why we need a strong well funded judiciary and equally strong police force to maintain order and the rule of law.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in absolutism, some elements of human nature are negative and destructive, others are positive and productive, this falls into the latter category.

The former is why we need a strong well funded judiciary and equally strong police force to maintain order and the rule of law.
    What do you think a 'right' is, if not absolute?

ReputationRep:
    What do you think a 'right' is, if not absolute?
    Indeed, I worded that rather weakly. To clarify, I do not believe in absolutism with regard to human nature, not universally.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, I worded that rather weakly. To clarify, I do not believe in absolutism with regard to human nature, not universally.
    So as far as I can tell, your argument currently is "a sense of entitlement and neurological instinct, which don't necessarily lead to rights existing in any given situation" - how does it follow that rights result in this instance?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 2, 2017
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.