Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Libertarian Party Question Time - Ask A Porcupine! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    That's a very narrow view of abortion. A fetus is more than a tumour to be excised or not at the convenience of the host organism. It is (to use someone elses phrase) a candidate member of the human race. The idea that the science is in and fetuses are somehow not alive and that killing them is the moral equivalent of picking your nose has no moral or factual grounding.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    A problem is that people have vastly different ideas about when a human exactly qualifies as a human. (perhaps changing the suggested moral equivalent to the killing of an animal that isn't human, for some that hold this belief) For some, this is after birth, for some this is shortly after insemination, and for others it is a largely arbitrary milestone. (time or otherwise)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    A problem is that people have vastly different ideas about when a human exactly qualifies as a human. (perhaps changing the suggested moral equivalent to the killing of an animal that isn't human, for some that hold this belief) For some, this is after birth, for some this is shortly after insemination, and for others it is a largely arbitrary milestone. (time or otherwise)
    Totally, and the discussion about when life begins is a discussion worth having. What I object to is the idea many people seem to have that there is no conversation to have, and that until it's fully outside the mother a baby for all intents and purposes might as well not even exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    Totally, and the discussion about when life begins is a discussion worth having. What I object to is the idea many people seem to have that there is no conversation to have, and that until it's fully outside the mother a baby for all intents and purposes might as well not even exist.
    Prsom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    You should look up bodily autonomy, the reason that we can't harvest the organs of dead people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We should 100% be able to harvest the organs of dead people though. The fact that the debate is between opt in and out rather than between opt out and the state owning your corpse is a farce.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    We should 100% be able to harvest the organs of dead people though. The fact that the debate is between opt in and out rather than between opt out and the state owning your corpse is a farce.
    Do you own your body?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Let's try again: should necrophilia be legalised and the age of consent significantly reduced, or abolished entirely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Do you own your body?
    No, don't be silly.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Let's try again: should necrophilia be legalised and the age of consent significantly reduced, or abolished entirely?
    I think there's been attempts on here to reduced the age of consent. Don't know how successful they were.

ReputationRep:
    This comes down to who, what and when can consent be given?

Can a corpse give consent? I would say no but the argument in favour of legalising necrophilia is that it could be consented to before hand but that runs into the problem that just because consent has been given previously it does not mean that the consent lasts forever and it is because of that I lean towards it should not be legalised.

What do you mean by significantly reduced? I could see an argument for it to be reduced 1/2 years and there could also be an argument to raise it but at the moment I could not give you a complete answer either way.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    This comes down to who, what and when can consent be given?

Can a corpse give consent? I would say no but the argument in favour of legalising necrophilia is that it could be consented to before hand but that runs into the problem that just because consent has been given previously it does not mean that the consent lasts forever and it is because of that I lean towards it should not be legalised.

What do you mean by significantly reduced? I could see an argument for it to be reduced 1/2 years and there could also be an argument to raise it but at the moment I could not give you a complete answer either way.
    Does a dildo give consent to to be used to pleasure people, or a condom to be used?

ReputationRep:
    Does a dildo give consent to to be used to pleasure people, or a condom to be used?
    Are you arguing in favour of legalising necrophilia here? It seems like something ukip might like to use in their next manifesto.

That is getting into whether a dead body is just an object or whether it is something different, I do not believe a body is merely an object.

Seeing as you are so obsessed with necrophillia I can only assume that you want to indulge in it, there are states in the USA that I do not believe has any laws on the issue.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Are you arguing in favour of legalising necrophilia here? It seems like something ukip might like to use in their next manifesto.

That is getting into whether a dead body is just an object or whether it is something different, I do not believe a body is merely an object.

Seeing as you are so obsessed with necrophillia I can only assume that you want to indulge in it, there are states in the USA that I do not believe has any laws on the issue.
    I'm a bit busy establishing the incoherence/inconsistency

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit busy establishing the incoherence/inconsistency
    I believe people's rights don't just vanish after death just like I don't agree that people's rights just appear when they are born, it is not inconsistent

ReputationRep:
    I like to think it does

ReputationRep:
    Does oxygen give consent to be inhaled?

ReputationRep:
    I will have to think about the first, because I'm a bit divided on the issue. To the latter, I don't see why it couldn't be reduced to 15 (potentially 14), but I would definitely review the quality of sexual education beforehand. With effective sexual education, the age of consent can be, in my opinion, lowered safely. I would not abolish it due to definite concerns about exploitation of minors.

ReputationRep:
    I believe people's rights don't just vanish after death just like I don't agree that people's rights just appear when they are born, it is not inconsistent
    Curious, what rights do you believe that a deceased individual should have?

ReputationRep:
    Views on human cloning? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    There's nothing wrong with it; people can do what they want with their own bodies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    For what use?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.