Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Libertarian Party Question Time - Ask A Porcupine! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    This seems interesting, few questions:

Where dose the party stand in the political spectrum?

What's the main difference between this and the liberals party?

When you mention that NHS access will be based on NI contributions, does that mean we have have to pay for treatment and medical attention etc.....?

When you say legalised all drugs does that include cocaine, meth etc.... or is it just limited to smoking weed?

Elaborate on your education policy?

:holmes:

Posted from OtherWorld
    It's in the bottom right (the purple bit on political compass).

It's different to the libs because this is an economic rightist only club, no lefties allowed!!! (Except social ones that are redpilled on the free market.)

The policy stuff was written by Byronic; but with regards to drugs, generally libertarians (myself included) support legalisation of EVERYTHING, because it's a victimless crime. Essentially, the reasoning behind it is: "your body, your choice." People who take LSD are still idiots, but they shouldn't be criminals.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    This seems interesting, few questions:

Where dose the party stand in the political spectrum?

What's the main difference between this and the liberals party?

When you mention that NHS access will be based on NI contributions, does that mean we have have to pay for treatment and medical attention etc.....?

When you say legalised all drugs does that include cocaine, meth etc.... or is it just limited to smoking weed?

Elaborate on your education policy?

:holmes:

Posted from OtherWorld
    1) Both economically and socially liberal, so bottom right quadrant. Obviously some people will be elsewhere.
    2) Politically, they have members who are far more likely to hold centrist views. Both parties consider the rights of the individual to be important, but us more so. They are much more likely to support elements of state intervention, which we would deem unnecessary. It is hard to say beyond that as I don't know who will join the party yet.
    3) It will be free at the point of access to everyone who is a citizen, that is for sure. Admittedly a lot more work needs to be done to tie everything together properly - these policies are very much subject to change and don't all fit well together as a coherent manifesto. I had to decide on some rough ideas in order to begin the process, but it would be a decision for the whole party if and when we form.
    4) It means all drugs.
    5) All students would have a 'voucher' worth the amount the state would spend on their education which follows them to whichever school they choose, independent or state. This subjects schools to free market competition and will - we'd argue - raise standards. Under-performing schools will be incentivised to effect change and, as these are overwhelmingly attended by students from disadvantaged socio-economic backgrounds the policy will have the greatest positive effect on those who currently receive the worst education.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The original Libs made some fantastic contributions to the House. The key question for any new party is viability. If enough people support this proposal and can guarantee it will work long-term, I see no reason to oppose it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    1) Both economically and socially liberal, so bottom right quadrant. Obviously some people will be elsewhere.
    2) Politically, they have members who are far more likely to hold centrist views. Both parties consider the rights of the individual to be important, but us more so. They are much more likely to support elements of state intervention, which we would deem unnecessary. It is hard to say beyond that as I don't know who will join the party yet.
    3) It will be free at the point of access to everyone who is a citizen, that is for sure. Admittedly a lot more work needs to be done to tie everything together properly - these policies are very much subject to change and don't all fit well together as a coherent manifesto. I had to decide on some rough ideas in order to begin the process, but it would be a decision for the whole party if and when we form.
    4) It means all drugs.
    5) All students would have a 'voucher' worth the amount the state would spend on their education which follows them to whichever school they choose, independent or state. This subjects schools to free market competition and will - we'd argue - raise standards. Under-performing schools will be incentivised to effect change and, as these are overwhelmingly attended by students from disadvantaged socio-economic backgrounds the policy will have the greatest positive effect on those who currently receive the worst education.
    So you guys basically are if the tories decided to become a libertarian party, right?

I don't really agree on legalising all drugs just maybe weed. Since its the most smoked drug in the country compared with other drugs. Only because weed is cheaper to buy than cocaine for example. The government could make alot of money from taxing weed for example.
    Plus I wouldn't want the streets to be full of drug addicts/junkies and have the air polluted with smoke. I wanna wake up in the morning and smell the fresh air, not the dirty aftermath of drugs lol

So what your saying is, the state is paying for the students education via taxpayer money. Then has to give the same amount they spend on education, on each student in vouchers? Won't that cost the goverment even more money, how are they gonna fund this?

Posted from OtherWorld

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)

Immigration

We will campaign for a points based system. We welcome people from other countries and recognise the value they can bring. However, nobody should come with the expectation of a free ride. Welfare will not be accessible to people until they have passed a certain threshold of NI contributions. We remain committed to offering safety to people fleeing genuine persecution.

Numerous studies have shown a point system to be completely ineffective and failed to do what it achieved in the first place. Also, a lot of your values are only libertarian by name, not pure nature. Yet again it seems like the libertarian alt right have seemed to adopt the "libertarian" name to push forward silly unrealistic agendas. Anyone who supports silly "Out of the ordinary for the sake of it" agendas like this one are clearly delusional.

ReputationRep:
    This has tremendous potential given how many libertarian-leaning Tories and Libs there are in the MHoC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cuckledoooo)
    Numerous studies have shown a point system to be completely ineffective and failed to do what it achieved in the first place. Also, a lot of your values are only libertarian by name, not pure nature. Yet again it seems like the libertarian alt right have seemed to adopt the "libertarian" name to push forward silly unrealistic agendas. Anyone who supports silly "Out of the ordinary for the sake of it" agendas like this one are clearly delusional.
    Yet again, the loathsome social justice warriors have used a buzzword to try and silence debate, not gonna happen though.

The values on there are not "alt-right" values, I've never seen an alt rightist advocate for drugs legalisation and proper free market capitalism. Most of them are (the alt-right) are economically left in my experience.

Might I recommend the TSR Labour Party for you sir? I think you'd suit their views perfectly with the establishment of the thought police and your seemingly irrational love of the nanny state.

ReputationRep:
    I'll join, although I do have to ask why now?
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Assuming the Speaker doesn't allow dual-membership, this has the potential to detoxify and de-Tory the Liberal party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heri2rs)
    Libertarian test: From and moral standpoint, is taxation theft? Yes or No
    Yes, however you can not go from what we have now to no tax and no public services

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Assuming the Speaker doesn't allow dual-membership, this has the potential to detoxify and de-Tory the Liberal party.
    He will allow dual membership I imagine; the same was allowed when the national liberals were established as I see from looking back.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    He will allow dual membership I imagine; the same was allowed when the national liberals were established as I see from looking back.
    Different Speaker though? Dual-membership in this case would be unfair because effectively the Liberals and the proposed Libertarian party are the same in all but name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Different Speaker though? Dual-membership in this case would be unfair because effectively the Liberals and the proposed Libertarian party are the same in all but name.
    True; but in the speakership election currently ongoing all the serious candidates have said they will support more parties being formed, the only way to do that is via dual memberships to start with if we are sticking with the 10 member rule.

I would argue if it was allowed with the nat libs it should be allowed here; on the grounds that they were even more similar than this proposal.

ReputationRep:
    Under some of the candidates for speaker this party could already form
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladstone1885)
    I'm in for duel membership but I wouldn't leave the Libs unless this really got off the ground
    ByronicHero

I'm with Gladstone here; firstly I want to see how the speakership elections go and if Petros wins the liberal leadership election.

I'd take dual membership for the time being though.

heri2rs: personally I'm of the belief that taxation is theft as a man should be able to enjoy the fruits of his labour without the state using it to fund the lazy and feckless.
    Dual membership requires the agreement of both party leaders.

If Petros has any sense at all, he'll refuse to allow you dual membership.

(Original post by heri2rs)
    I've already applied for the Tories but I'd happily join you guys too.
    I've spent all afternoon debating Keynesian's and the preposterous notion that deficit spending on the NHS, welfare and bridges is somehow a cause for economic growth and that budget surpluses are bad.
    The Libertarians are not forming, ergo you should stick with your plan to join the Tories.

If the Libertarians do form, we will expressly starve you all of new membership via aggressive measures ensuring your collapse and our continued dominion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Dual membership requires the agreement of both party leaders.

If Petros has any sense at all, he'll refuse to allow you dual membership.

The Libertarians are not forming, ergo you should stick with your plan to join the Tories.

If the Libertarians do form, we will expressly starve you all of new membership via aggressive measures ensuring your collapse and our continued dominion.
    It seems somebody is scared of the possibility of this party forming
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    It seems somebody is scared of the possibility of this party forming
    Scared would be too strong a word.

I'm simply not stupid or naive enough to support the enabling of something that is not in the Tory self interest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Scared would be too strong a word.

I'm simply not stupid or naive enough to support the enabling of something that is not in the Tory self interest.
    That's very selfish Rakas, the house is lacking a distinct voice for right wing libertarians as it is; the liberals COULD go that way if Petros becomes Speaker and the Leadership Election following has a favourable result, but that's unlikely.

Putting your own party above the house's health and membership numbers; its something I'd expect from Labour, not you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    That's very selfish Rakas, the house is lacking a distinct voice for right wing libertarians as it is; the liberals COULD go that way if Petros becomes Speaker and the Leadership Election following has a favourable result, but that's unlikely.

Putting your own party above the house's health and membership numbers; its something I'd expect from Labour, not you.
    Libertarians are happy enough in the Tories and Liberals, that's why the party died in the first place. They were starved of new members because they were a small party and the Tories were liberal enough. I liked the Libertarians, they were the intellectual heavyweights of the House for a long time but i see little to no reason to objectively believe that their fate will be different from the last.

Given how many terms they struggled to fill their MP seats for i'd suggest that membership numbers will not be affected. The House is perfectly healthy.

If you really believe that strongly in libertarianism then you would leave the Liberals today and join Paddy as either an independent or party member. The fact that you won't really tells us all how much conviction you have.

ReputationRep:
    ByronicHero would you not split the right wing vote|?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.