Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Libertarian Party Question Time - Ask A Porcupine! Watch

• Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    In the last week we have released both the workers' income guarantee bill and the representation of the people act (amendment) bill, I think two bills in a week is more than adequate, and is more than the conservatives are managing at the moment (ironic considering they are the ones saying we're too small to form.)

More will come Paddy, we have a lot of legislation in the works on our subforum that just needs perfecting before we can release it.
    Thank you for your response; I look forward to your legislation

ReputationRep:
    The TSR Libertarian Party hereby endorses Joecphillips to head the MHoC Crisis Committee. With his clerical expertise and experience in the House, we have no doubt that he is the wise and sensible choice for said position.

The proceedings of our Deputy Leadership race are now concluded, with _gcx taking a majority of the vote to secure his election. Congratulations to him, and I look forward to working with him to unify our party around the libertarian priorities we all hold so dear.

Stay classy Britain,

~Andrew
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladstone1885)
    The TSR Libertarian Party hereby endorses Joecphillips to head the MHoC Crisis Committee. With his clerical expertise and experience in the House, we have no doubt that he is the wise and sensible choice for said position.

The proceedings of our Deputy Leadership race are now concluded, with _gcx taking a majority of the vote to secure his election. Congratulations to him, and I look forward to working with him to unify our party around the libertarian priorities we all hold so dear.

Stay classy Britain,

~Andrew
    Shock! Horror! The Libertarians endorse their own member for CC Chair Disgraceful!

Congratulations to _gcx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Shock! Horror! The Libertarians endorse their own member for CC Chair Disgraceful!

Congratulations to _gcx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Perhaps you should change Charles Kennedy's expression accordingly

ReputationRep:

Congratulations to _gcx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm taking your job I ensure you leave and take it 😀
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations and good luck in your role _gcx, I look forward to any possible workings together alongside the Gladstone in the future!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations _gcx! It's nice see you climb the ladder fast! I wish good luck to you in your new role
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:

Congratulations to _gcx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think it is pretty shocking tbh, it's not appropriate for a party to endorse a Chair for an apolitical committee.

Congratulations _gcx, I have a lot of faith in you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I think it is pretty shocking tbh, it's not appropriate for a party to endorse a Chair for an apolitical committee.

As do I, anyone who abandons leftism and sees the light of minarchism gets all my plaudits.

ReputationRep:

We are a small party and I believe every member feels that I would be good for the job, it's not much different than people endorsing someone that they like to become speaker

ReputationRep:

I think you'll see us breaking from that tradition often, especially as long as we have only 5 members and unanimity is common.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    We are a small party and I believe every member feels that I would be good for the job, it's not much different than people endorsing someone that they like to become speaker
    If you want to be treated like a party, you should act like one. If I was a member of the CC then this statement would only make me less likely to vote for you as an impartial figure - just like if I declared that the Labour Party was endorsing QQ or if Petros declared that the Liberals were endorsing him as Deputy Speaker.

I think you'll see us breaking from that tradition often, especially as long as we have only 5 members and unanimity is common.
    Are members of the Libertarian party unable to voice individual opinions?

ReputationRep:
    If you want to be treated like a party, you should act like one. If I was a member of the CC then this statement would only make me less likely to vote for you as an impartial figure - just like if I declared that the Labour Party was endorsing QQ or if Petros declared that the Liberals were endorsing him as Deputy Speaker.

Are members of the Libertarian party unable to voice individual opinions?
    Clearly not given that we are in agreement. Are the British people incapable of governing themselves? Why bother electing MP's?

I do not agree with the idea that parties shouldn't endorse candidates for nonpartisan offices. It's not much different from having five individual Libertarian members endorse a Libertarian for this office, which is what the case would be if we didn't endorse Joe as a party. We're interested in advancing candidates who we feel will best serve the MHoC, and I am quite frankly dissapointed that you might imply that we ar doing so based solely on party affiliation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Clearly not given that we are in agreement. Are the British people incapable of governing themselves? Why bother electing MP's?

I do not agree with the idea that parties shouldn't endorse candidates for nonpartisan offices. It's not much different from having five individual Libertarian members endorse a Libertarian for this office, which is what the case would be if we didn't endorse Joe as a party. We're interested in advancing candidates who we feel will best serve the MHoC, and I am quite frankly dissapointed that you might imply that we ar doing so based solely on party affiliation.
    What a ridiculous appeal to absurdity. I'd explain why that comparison is beyond irrelevant but it would only be patronising.

Then be dissapointed - because rather than implying it, I'll outright say it. I think the Libertarian Party is endorsing the Libertarian CC rep for Chair because he's one of their own. Of course parties shouldn't endorse candidates for non-partisan offices, maybe you think that as a party with zero seats it doesn't matter but you won't enjoy it if the Tories or even Labour start adopting that attitude. I'm 'disappointed' you're arguing this point rather than recognising you made a faux pas because you're a new party that hasn't even contested an election and is still learning the ropes.

ReputationRep:
    What a ridiculous appeal to absurdity. I'd explain why that comparison is beyond irrelevant but it would only be patronising.

Then be dissapointed - because rather than implying it, I'll outright say it. I think the Libertarian Party is endorsing the Libertarian CC rep for Chair because he's one of their own. Of course parties shouldn't endorse candidates for non-partisan offices, maybe you think that as a party with zero seats it doesn't matter but you won't enjoy it if the Tories or even Labour start adopting that attitude. I'm 'disappointed' you're arguing this point rather than recognising you made a faux pas because you're a new party that hasn't even contested an election and is still learning the ropes.
    It isn't a "faux pas" because it isn't an error. We weren't going to endorse anyone for Deputy Speaker even when Connor was considering a run because we hadn't discussed who we all support internally. This is a mutual agreement among our party members, and we feel it is in the best interest of the House to have Joe chair the CC, based on his outstanding performance displayed in organizing our formation. You have apparently had no exposure to his commitment to detail.

If you think this is a political move you simply aren't aware of what goes on behind the scenes in our party, which is understandable because you've got enough on your plate running a government with more seats than you can fill.

We are the Party of Principle, which perhaps gives us more room to make non-traditional decisions that might, if made by other parties, be seen as self-interested and petty. I can assure you that we're better than that.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    It isn't a "faux pas" because it isn't an error. We weren't going to endorse anyone for Deputy Speaker even when Connor was considering a run because we hadn't discussed who we all support internally. This is a mutual agreement among our party members, and we feel it is in the best interest of the House to have Joe chair the CC, based on his outstanding performance displayed in organizing our formation. You have apparently had no exposure to his commitment to detail.

If you think this is a political move you simply aren't aware of what goes on behind the scenes in our party, which is understandable because you've got enough on your plate running a government with more seats than you can fill.

We are the Party of Principle, which perhaps gives us more room to make non-traditional decisions that might, if made by other parties, be seen as self-interested and petty. I can assure you that we're better than that.
    The fact it wasn't an 'error' simply means you made the faux pas deliberately.

Damn, I can see why you're getting on the Tory leadership's nerves so much. Don't you tell me my government has 'more seats than it can fill' when you have no seats at all. My party is currently, successfully, filling more seats than it has ever done in the decade long history of this House. Thus displaying an almost unprecedented level of activity. Don't lecture me from your pram. I will also not be told that the party composed of defectors and started by someone who didn't believe in the cause is *the* 'Party of Principle' - the gall of it is amazing. And btw you just admitted your members were biased towards JoeC because of their proximity to him.

A real 'party of principle' would have refused to allow itself to throw its weight around in something apolitical. A 'party of principle' would not be so enamoured with it's own self-righteousness that it would conflate party interests with those of a House that's existed long before its formation. A 'party of principle' would not break those conventions before its even gotten started.

ReputationRep:

Damn, I can see why you're getting on the Tory leadership's nerves so much. Don't you tell me my government has 'more seats than it can fill' when you have no seats at all. My party is currently, successfully, filling more seats than it has ever done in the decade long history of this House. Thus displaying an almost unprecedented level of activity. Don't lecture me from your pram. I will also not be told that the party composed of defectors and started by someone who didn't believe in the cause is *the* 'Party of Principle' - the gall of it is amazing. And btw you just admitted your members were biased towards JoeC because of their proximity to him.

A real 'party of principle' would have refused to allow itself to throw its weight around in something apolitical. A 'party of principle' would not be so enamoured with it's own self-righteousness that it would conflate party interests with those of a House that's existed long before its formation. A 'party of principle' would not break those conventions before its even gotten started.
    I would hope that everyone I have worked closely with would say the same about me, someone who thinks that I would put my parties interests or self interest in front of doing what is right doesn't know me on multiple occasions I have refused to stand back and allow people to do whatever they want when I believe it is wrong or against the rules.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    I would hope that everyone I have worked closely with would say the same about me, someone who thinks that I would put my parties interests or self interest in front of doing what is right doesn't know me on multiple occasions I have refused to stand back and allow people to do whatever they want when I believe it is wrong or against the rules.
    I would consider this point proven beyond any doubt if you were to now renounce the endorsement of your party as your party and your ideology should have nothing to do with your actions as a potential CC Chair or your election to that post. Indeed I'd respect you greatly for it and hold nothing against you expect that it came a bit late.

ReputationRep:
    I would consider this point proven beyond any doubt if you were to now renounce the endorsement of your party as your party and your ideology should have nothing to do with your actions as a potential CC Chair or your election to that post. Indeed I'd respect you greatly for it and hold nothing against you expect that it came a bit late.
    Personally I see it as 4 people who I have worked with recently endorsing me but I can see why it may be a problem for you I renounce the name of the party being used but I thank Gladstone, heri, gcx and Connor as individuals for the vote of confidence.

ReputationRep:

Party interests you say? What might these be on a Crisis Committee whose literal purpose is to create problems?

I can't really see the point in hitting me for having no seats when I haven't had the chance to stand in an election yet. But then I suppose you resort to confusing means when you run out of arguments.

I'm sorry, the telegram must not have reached you; we're under new management. Funny how basic technology doesn't work when you nationalize it.

I would like to restrain myself from criticism seeing as I wasn't in the MHoC when you carried your party to victory, but I simply cannot bring myself to do so. You defeated a Tory Party beset by lack of inspiration and credible leadership on a student forum where most individuals are left-leaning, and managed to form a minority government only with the help of your counterparts to the left. I would hardly call your showing an indication of leadership prowess.

And one final point: of course we're biased in favor of him based on our proximity to him. That's essentially the reason anybody votes for anybody in any election for anything; because they've been exposed to their strengths. One would expect a Prime Minister to know this.

But then again, you're the devalued Prime Minister of a devalued government.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.