Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Libertarian Party Question Time - Ask A Porcupine! Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladstone1885)
    With the conclusion of the Libertarian Leadeship election, there were 20 votes cast in total and I'm very proud of this high turnout.

The next leader of the party is _gcx, who won by a margin of 12-8. Both candidates were highly qualified and either one would have led the party toward success. It is time now to unite under George and proceed with the challenges that lay in our wake.

There will now be a Deputy leadership election to replace George!
    Congratulations to _gcx, I'm certain he'll be a fantastic libertarian leader, and our parties' close relationship will continue to flourish.
    Commiserations of course, to joecphillips
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations _gcx
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations _gcx!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Unexpected but welcome. Congratulations _gcx

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations _gcx, you are a worthy winner and and a huge asset to the party.You have been very welcoming and I wish you luck in your role. I look forward to working with you in the coming months.

Commiserations joecphillips , you were a worthy opponent and this is a very promising result!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Félicitations (Congratulations) _gcx on your election as Leader of the Libertarians.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I must commend my good friend Gladstone1885, we started this together and he turned a few disillusioned right wingers in the Liberal Party into a highly active, big party with big ambitions for the upcoming GE, bravo sir, what a leader.

Well done _gcx , it was a hard fought contest and both candidates were equally up to the job, but I'm sure you will do a brilliant job as leader

Equally, commiserations to joecphillips, a good friend and a truly great and valued member of our party who will be a real asset in the days and months to come.

Finally, I would like to announce my candidacy for Deputy Leader of the Libertarian Party, good luck to all others that intend to stand.

Let's band together now and get ready to fight as the only alternative to the establishment, left wing, big government consensus.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Well done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    Firstly, I must commend my good friend Gladstone1885, we started this together and he turned a few disillusioned right wingers in the Liberal Party into a highly active, big party with big ambitions for the upcoming GE, bravo sir, what a leader.

Well done _gcx , it was a hard fought contest and both candidates were equally up to the job, but I'm sure you will do a brilliant job as leader

Equally, commiserations to joecphillips, a good friend and a truly great and valued member of our party who will be a real asset in the days and months to come.

Finally, I would like to announce my candidacy for Deputy Leader of the Libertarian Party, good luck to all others that intend to stand.

Let's band together now and get ready to fight as the only alternative to the establishment, left wing, big government consensus.
    Hats off to you as well, sir. Run for DL!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, all

ReputationRep:
    Who's _gcx?? :confused:

Spoiler:
    Show

Jk Congrats tho on the win :hat2: and sorry to hear you lost joe :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    Who's _gcx?? :confused:

Spoiler:
    Show

Jk Congrats tho on the win :hat2: and sorry to hear you lost joe :console:

Nobody loves me
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Nobody loves me
    :console:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Will Kymlicka (Canadian Philosopher): "[state borders are] a source of embarrassment for liberals of all stripes... at least if these boundaries prevent individuals from moving freely, and living, working and voting in whatever part of the globe they see fit."

What do you think?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Aph You'll like this one. ^
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Does this mean the moderate won the day?

Congratulations _gcx.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Will Kymlicka (Canadian Philosopher): "[state borders are] a source of embarrassment for liberals of all stripes... at least if these boundaries prevent individuals from moving freely, and living, working and voting in whatever part of the globe they see fit."

What do you think?
    I think some level of immigration control is, regrettably, required, for pragmatic reasons.

The existence of the welfare state just means that most people will flock to the developed western countries and leave the rest of the world in the dust. Also, a lot of lesser developed countries have high crime rates, which shouldn't be imported.

Of course though, it must be said that immigration is definitely net positive to the country, I would probably maintain the status quo on this issue.

TL;DR: Yes, open borders allow the free market to flourish, but if a welfare state exists in some areas but not others, then the idea of open borders does not work.

ReputationRep:
    Does this mean the moderate won the day?

Congratulations _gcx.
    Joe is an extremist?

ReputationRep:

What do you think?
    An open border and a welfare state is not a good idea as many people like Connor suggested would move to the richer countries.

In the future open borders may be something to look at but with the current welfare system then it is doomed to fail.

What would you prefer open borders or the welfare state?
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

What do you think?
    (Original post by Connor27)
    I think some level of immigration control is, regrettably, required, for pragmatic reasons.

The existence of the welfare state just means that most people will flock to the developed western countries and leave the rest of the world in the dust. Also, a lot of lesser developed countries have high crime rates, which shouldn't be imported.

Of course though, it must be said that immigration is definitely net positive to the country, I would probably maintain the status quo on this issue.

TL;DR: Yes, open borders allow the free market to flourish, but if a welfare state exists in some areas but not others, then the idea of open borders does not work.
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    An open border and a welfare state is not a good idea as many people like Connor suggested would move to the richer countries.

In the future open borders may be something to look at but with the current welfare system then it is doomed to fail.

What would you prefer open borders or the welfare state?
    There are plenty who think you can have open borders and a welfare state, there just needs to be no presumption of access for immigrants and ideally a universal income for citizens to ensure that they need not compete for low-skilled work to survive. I think economically the theory is that this would reduce the need for aid - which is inefficient due to corruption etc - and that money would instead be earned by migrant workers and filter into the poorest communities worldwide by being sent home etc. I admit to not having really looked at it in much detail, but there we are. So you certainly couldn't make a reasonable case for open borders in tandem with our current system, but I don't think the existence of one necessarily precludes the other.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.