Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Libertarian Party Question Time - Ask A Porcupine! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    There are plenty who think you can have open borders and a welfare state, there just needs to be no presumption of access for immigrants and ideally a universal income for citizens to ensure that they need not compete for low-skilled work to survive. I think economically the theory is that this would reduce the need for aid - which is inefficient due to corruption etc - and that money would instead be earned by migrant workers and filter into the poorest communities worldwide by being sent home etc. I admit to not having really looked at it in much detail, but there we are. So you certainly couldn't make a reasonable case for open borders in tandem with our current system, but I don't think the existence of one necessarily precludes the other.
    All of this is possible but there's no need for a universal basic income (at least not based on your arguments), because people will still have the social safety net to fall back on when they get undercut for a job whereas immigrants will not. A universal basic income would extremely increase dependency and disincentivize work, which is one of the reasons no countries have one, but we've already had this debate I believe

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to post off topic but you may be interested here, ask questions to Caroline Lucas, half of the Green Party leader https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4713256
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james813)
    Sorry to post off topic but you may be interested here, ask questions to Caroline Lucas, half of the Green Party leader https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4713256
    There's a Green QT thread somewhere!

ReputationRep:
    I would like to officially concede the Libertarian Deputy leadership election to my opponent, fleky6910, the contest was hard fought and he won fair and square, I will continue to serve the party as chair and support our new deputy leader whenever possible.

Now it is time to rally together and fight this general election, we are the only alternative to the left wing, big government consensus.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations to fleky6910 for being elected as this party's new deputy leader, in my place, winning by a significant margin. (12-7) Commiserations to @Connor27 for an election well fought!

I look forward to your contributions to the party

ReputationRep:
    Lol imagine losing to fleky

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Lol imagine losing to fleky

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for the vote of confidence, although "imagine your budget that took months to apparently perfect failing in division" comes to mind!

ReputationRep:
    I would like to offer my commiserations to Connor27. It was a hard and well fought contest.

I will now seek to deliver the pledges I made. It is important we unite as a party, move forward and win a lot of seats in the general election.

I am sure we will be a true force to be reckoned with in the upcoming election.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    Thank you for the vote of confidence, although "imagine your budget that took months to apparently perfect failing in division" comes to mind!
    Most budgets fail in division. That's to be expected, given that we've either never had a majority government or they're very rare.

--

Congratulations fleky6910 - certainly a swift rise to the top, but you'll make a fine DL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Congratulations fleky6910 - certainly a swift rise to the top, but you'll make a fine DL.
    Thank you.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Lol this should be good.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    Lol this should be good.
    Holy ****ing ****, you're back? :awesome:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Holy ****ing ****, you're back? :awesome:
    Hello darling
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Hello darling
    Oh, Joe :love:

ReputationRep:
    Most budgets fail in division. That's to be expected, given that we've either never had a majority government or they're very rare.

--

Do they usually fail despite vigorous internal whipping campaigns and hysterical pleas by Government MPs?

ReputationRep:
    I am pleased to announce the appointment of joecphillips as the Spokesperson for Defence and International Diplomacy.

I am also pleased to announce the appointment of That'sGreat as the Deputy Spokesperson for Economic policy and Welfare.

It is good to see new members taking interest in the MHOC and I look forward to their contributions in the coming months .
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladstone1885)
    Do they usually fail despite vigorous internal whipping campaigns and hysterical pleas by Government MPs?

I'll leave it at emphasising that my party, in accordance with long-standing tradition, did none of that

(Original post by fleky6910)

I am also pleased to announce the appointment of That'sGreat as the Deputy Spokesperson for Economic policy and Welfare.
    Who?

ReputationRep:
    I'll leave it at emphasising that my party, in accordance with long-standing tradition, did none of that

Who?
    He is rather active internally, but may I emphasise the "Deputy" in his title, Gladstone will still hold most of the sway on economic policy, That'sGreat shall assist in some capacity though!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Have you got a spokesperson for unintentional diplomacy?
    It is good to have you back.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    He is rather active internally, but may I emphasise the "Deputy" in his title, Gladstone will still hold most of the sway on economic policy, That'sGreat shall assist in some capacity though!
    Fair enough, credit to the Libers for trying to get people involved in the House at this low-activity time.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.