Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Libertarian Party Question Time - Ask A Porcupine! Watch

ReputationRep:
    The Libertarians.....are....
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Good man, Birchie.

Snorlax is my favourite pokemon. I stopped playing Pokemon Go when my friend got one before me
    I've long given up looking for a Snorlax! Best Pokémon by far
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    I've long given up looking for a Snorlax! What a legend
    I think he caught it in the wild too. I can forgive getting it from an egg

ReputationRep:
    Sign meee
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Where do I sign up ? Add me to the list of propposed members
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanCream)
    Sign meee
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Where do I sign up ? Add me to the list of propposed members
    Done and done! Welcome, chaps :holmes:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Gladstone1885
    Connor27
    TitanCream
    joecphillips
    hazzer1998

I see you're named as proposed members. How many of you would be prepared to give up your current party membership, including where relevant your MP seats, and be solely Libertarian members?

ReputationRep:
    Aye aye american pie.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Gladstone1885
    Connor27
    TitanCream
    joecphillips
    hazzer1998

I see you're named as proposed members. How many of you would be prepared to give up your current party membership, including where relevant your MP seats, and be solely Libertarian members?
    You thinking of approving us as your last act? (We will name our pet dog in your honour )

ReputationRep:
    Gladstone1885
    Connor27
    TitanCream
    joecphillips
    hazzer1998

Aye.

ReputationRep:
    And your first bill was the "incest decriminalisation bill". Libertarians are a complete joke, I dont think ive ever seen such a divided and conflicted group as the libertarians. Your economic policies reject basic economic theory and your policies are designed to make people feel good, that's it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    You thinking of approving us as your last act? (We will name our pet dog in your honour )
    I'll probably leave it to my successor, it seems only fair to do so now, but as I am Speaker until a successor has been elected and given the powers, there are a couple of things I am looking for amongst the 10 prospective members:
    – Proof that there is a gap in the market, shown by users who are not currently in a party. (Or not active in one – so I would be asking you to resign your other party memberships were you to join the Libertarians.)
    – Users who are going to be dedicated 100% to the new party, so only a limited number of dual members.

Though as this decision will be made by my successor it will be up to them to decide what is sufficient. I haven't contacted the CT yet, but I don't envisage the technical side being too difficult as we should have a spare usergroup and subforum hanging around.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably leave it to my successor, it seems only fair to do so now, but as I am Speaker until a successor has been elected and given the powers, there are a couple of things I am looking for amongst the 10 prospective members:
    – Proof that there is a gap in the market, shown by users who are not currently in a party. (Or not active in one – so I would be asking you to resign your other party memberships were you to join the Libertarians.)
    – Users who are going to be dedicated 100% to the new party, so only a limited number of dual members.

Though as this decision will be made by my successor it will be up to them to decide what is sufficient. I haven't contacted the CT yet, but I don't envisage the technical side being too difficult as we should have a spare usergroup and subforum hanging around.
    Well:

1) I commit to leaving all other parties as a condition of being allowed to form this one. I think ideologically it is evident that there is a Libertarian sized gap.
    2) Myself, J&T, Gladstone and TitanCream are all committed members, as is Kvoth. heri2rs has applied to join the Tories but has stated that he will leave to join us full time. I think this very clearly shows an appropriately sized core membership, especially set against the context of UKIP and the Greens.
    3) Yes, the NatLib forum couldn't take longer than ten minutes to clean and rename :lol:
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    How can one be 100% committed to a party and retain membership of another party? I hope the next Speaker takes a firm view on this, there can be no dual membership - choose a party and commit to it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    How can one be 100% committed to a party and retain membership of another party? I hope the next Speaker takes a firm view on this, there can be no dual membership - choose a party and commit to it.
    It would be reasonable for a small number of MHoCers to join briefly to assist with the foundation and then leave again.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    It would be reasonable for a small number of MHoCers to join briefly to assist with the foundation and then leave again.
    How brief a time? It can't be open-ended.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    How brief a time? It can't be open-ended.
    As long as it takes to draft and approve a constitution and get a permanent leader in place.

Anyway, this is all in the conditional tense as it won't be up to me.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I don't require assistance :nope: so don't see much value in having people join with the intention from the outset of leaving. indeed I would actively discourage it. There are already easily enough people interested in joining for the party to be able to write bills and fulfil the necessary functions required in the House. We are already more active than two parties that exist. I have written constitutions before etc.

If dual memberships are banned that's fine, people can choose which party they wish to be in, but I would suggest that this is not a matter for the Speaker to decide on - it is a decision for individual members, the respective parties and the leader(s) of those parties.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I don't require assistance :nope: so don't see much value in having people join with the intention from the outset of leaving. indeed I would actively discourage it.
    Fair enough.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough.
    Although thinking about it, might be nice to have someone doing all of our admin for us :lol:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.