Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    CoffeeGeekF.V.Wieser_gcx

I'm trying to accomplish the recognition of the fact that the Speaker has no constitutional authority to compel me to leave the MP usergroup. By making a big deal out of my leaving it in effect makes you as silly as my insistence on remaining in it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    Gladstone1885

Just leave the MP usergroup
    Have you died and been reborn as an amendment to the constitution ?
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladstone1885)
    Have you died and been reborn as an amendment to the constitution ?
    perhaps
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    CoffeeGeekF.V.Wieser_gcx

I'm trying to accomplish the recognition of the fact that the Speaker has no constitutional authority to compel me to leave the MP usergroup. By making a big deal out of my leaving it in effect makes you as silly as my insistence on remaining in it
    Do you mind telling me what part of the constitution says this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeGeek)
    Do you mind telling me what part of the constitution says this?
    It isn't in the constitution, so there's no power granted to the speaker on this issue
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    CoffeeGeekF.V.Wieser_gcx

The speaker can make up rules as he goes and rule where the constitution doesn't contradict him so if you seriously think he has no authority then you are wrong either way.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It isn't in the constitution, so there's no power granted to the speaker on this issue
    That does not mean the Speaker has no authority. Unless the constitution says explicitly that the Speaker cannot then you might have an argument.

ReputationRep:
    Why is everyone wasting their time in telling Gladestone to leave the user group? It's pretty obvious he's not gonna leave and we should just let him stay. The CT will eventually chuck him out of the usergroup anyway.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    More judicial activism I see. Nothing in the constitution or GDforbids this
    The Constitution does however rule that the speaker "...oversee(s) the house as a forum assistant and ruling where the Constitution does not specify a course of action". Ergo this catch-all means their actions are fully in line with the speaker role set by the constitution.

If the CT have agreed with a ruling that requires you to vacate the MP usergroup, it is courtesy that you comply. Continuing to desist will not prevent the eventual outcome (in that the CT will still kick you anyway), whilst impacting the way others view your conduct in the house. If you have an issue with the ruling, take it to AtCT.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    Why is everyone wasting their time in telling Gladestone to leave the user group? It's pretty obvious he's not gonna leave and we should just let him stay. The CT will eventually chuck him out of the usergroup anyway.
    Because his argument to stay is a weak one. But if he's not going to leave that's fine. I do remember him talking of the party changing and being different from what it is now - seems to have forgotten about that.

ReputationRep:
    Because his argument to stay is a weak one. But if he's not going to leave that's fine. I do remember him talking of the party changing and being different from what it is now - seems to have forgotten about that.
    Because I refuse to do something completely meaningless doesn't negate the party's reform efforts. Your party, however, would benefit greatly if you actually wrote a bill for once instead of chasing me down for nonsense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    The Constitution does however rule that the speaker "...oversee(s) the house as a forum assistant and ruling where the Constitution does not specify a course of action". Ergo this catch-all means their actions are fully in line with the speaker role set by the constitution.

If the CT have agreed with a ruling that requires you to vacate the MP usergroup, it is courtesy that you comply. Continuing to desist will not prevent the eventual outcome (in that the CT will still kick you anyway), whilst impacting the way others view your conduct in the house. If you have an issue with the ruling, take it to AtCT.
    Finally an intelligent argument. I will await the CT's ruling
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Because I refuse to do something completely meaningless doesn't negate the party's reform efforts. Your party, however, would benefit greatly if you actually wrote a bill for once instead of chasing me down for nonsense
    Since it matters to you so much, I have written a bill and there are others waiting to be submitted after party approval :yy: Maybe I can't speak for everyone here but certainly from my perspective, it does not better the image of the party if you're refusing to listen to the leader - which is exactly what you're doing.

If this is "nonsense", suggesting triviality, then you would have followed the others and left by now. In that case, people would not be here telling you to stop making a fuss and leave - including myself.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    If your expecting to have a speaker who will require codification to act, you will be sadly mistaken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    If your expecting to have a speaker who will require codification to act, you will be sadly mistaken.
    That is, if you are installed.

ReputationRep:
    Since it matters to you so much, I have written a bill and there are others waiting to be submitted after party approval :yy: Maybe I can't speak for everyone here but certainly from my perspective, it does not better the image of the party if you're refusing to listen to the leader - which is exactly what you're doing.

If this is "nonsense", suggesting triviality, then you would have followed the others and left by now. In that case, people would not be here telling you to stop making a fuss and leave - including myself.
    I look forward to reading and debating it

I am suggesting triviality, as the matter is trivial. Just because a bunch of people complain about something doesn't make it a legitimate complaint. This House needs to prioritize its "to do" list, and this matter shouldn't even be on it
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    While it has repeatedly been addressed, little seems to have changed.
    and why do you think that is?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    That is, if you are installed.
    Given the lack of any real pressure in Q&A (my supporters have asked more difficult questions than those opposing me) I am at the risk of sounding arrogant, more confident of victory now than when I entered.

I commend Nige for performing well and calmly though. He may have done enough to just about force a second round. Right now my analysis suggests I'm good for 40% of the vote in the first round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Given the lack of any real pressure in Q&A (my supporters have asked more difficult questions than those opposing me) I am at the risk of sounding arrogant, more confident of victory now than when I entered.

I commend Nige for performing well and calmly though. He may have done enough to just about force a second round. Right now my analysis suggests I'm good for 40% of the vote in the first round.
    Then the remaining 60% will coalesce around Nigel in the second round, and injustice will be averted.

ReputationRep:
    I wish to announce that SuperHuman98 shall be proxying for That'sGreat from this Saturday to the next.

Please enter the user group. Tagging Rakas (and The Financier, in case Rakas does not have the powers).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.