:rofl: touché
    I wonder if Petros will spite block us if he becomes Speaker :holmes:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    That's an interesting thought actually... :holmes: I would hope he wouldn't.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    That's an interesting thought actually... :holmes: I would hope he wouldn't.
    I have to admit the rascal in me would be somewhat amused if he did. But then I'd
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I have to admit the rascal in me would be somewhat amused if he did. But then I'd
    *prays to the gods for no more VoNCs*
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    *prays to the gods for no more VoNCs*
    Tories and Liberals don't wan't us to form so I doubt they would VoNC him for making that call :lol:

I am quite sure Petros is capable of duplicity, but I think he will be a pretty good Speaker if he gets it.

I am secretly hoping for the surprise Aph victory so he can start murdering parties
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Tories and Liberals don't wan't us to form so I doubt they would VoNC him for making that call :lol:

I am quite sure Petros is capable of duplicity, but I think he will be a pretty good Speaker if he gets it.

I am secretly hoping for the surprise Aph victory so he can start murdering parties
    I reckon Petros would be excellent at it, but then again... that would be rather entertaining to watch. :lol: I just want the election to be over at this point, the suspense is killing me!
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I reckon Petros would be excellent at it, but then again... that would be rather entertaining to watch. :lol: I just want the election to be over at this point, the suspense is killing me!
    It has seemed like a fairly well-mannered race actually. Several good candidates, which is good for the future of the House.

ReputationRep:
    Tories and Liberals don't wan't us to form
    While I'm all for libertarianism, what is the point of having a Libertarian Party? The Tories aren't really illiberal in any respect.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    While I'm all for libertarianism, what is the point of having a Libertarian Party? The Tories aren't really illiberal in any respect.
    There is some overlap theoretically but they don't pursue any of the key policies I would associate with a Libertarian Party or, if they do, they do it very poorly. A Libertarian Party on TSR would have the ambition to try to make drastic changes that other parties simply won't. They are also always going to be naturally centralised by their social conservatives. With UKIP slowly dying, I expect that wing to grow in the future.

People who consider themselves libertarians, but wish to remain with the Tories, are more than welcome to do so.

ReputationRep:
    ByronicHero

I thought you're a Labour member(in real life I mean), or am I thinking of someone else?
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    ByronicHero

I thought you're a Labour member(in real life I mean), or am I thinking of someone else?
    I used to be.

Have you been stalking me?

ReputationRep:
    I used to be.

Ha ha, no I just remember you saying.

Libertarian's a pretty big u-turn though.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Ha ha, no I just remember you saying.

Libertarian's a pretty big u-turn though.
    I see. Good memory.

Yea, it was a long time coming.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melancholy)
    :love:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I used to be.

Have you informed your dear members that you are one of the many responsible for electing that extremist excuse of a Comrade.

Can you be trusted to carry the banner of libertarianism when a part of you just wants to crap on it and nationalise it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melancholy)
    Can the honourable gentleman tell me what Aleppo is?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I'm sure I, and the Liberals will be fine. We have plenty of members that aren't MPs

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Come off it, I bet you're vexed. It isn't so much a numbers problem, you will still have members even if all these people defect; your problem is surely a political one. You have spent the best part of two years pushing the TSR Liberal party into a Libertarian mould, recruiting libertarian-minded Tories at the expense of centrist and centre-left social democrats. If there is to be a proper and active Libertarian party then the Liberals will have to differentiate themselves somehow, but how? You can't move back to the centre and appeal to what we might call 'real Lib Dems' (not Orange Bookers), you've burned those bridges.

:rofl:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The Rt Hon. RayApparently MP, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and Secretary of State for International Development would like to be added to the list of 'other supporters of formation'. :awesome:

It is obvious that there are several highly contentious social and a few economic policies that would drive a wedge between 'libertarians', conservatives and liberals. Good luck.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Come off it, I bet you're vexed. It isn't so much a numbers problem, you will still have members even if all these people defect; your problem is surely a political one. You have spent the best part of two years pushing the TSR Liberal party into a Libertarian mould, recruiting libertarian-minded Tories at the expense of centrist and centre-left social democrats. If there is to be a proper and active Libertarian party then the Liberals will have to differentiate themselves somehow, but how? You can't move back to the centre and appeal to what we might call 'real Lib Dems' (not Orange Bookers), you've burned those bridges.

:rofl:
    I've burned those bridges???

We're still a centrist party on a centrist policy platform, equally prepared to work with the left and the right.

I'm probably as annoyed as the Tories - it will cost us votes at the next election - but it's niche enough and there's no reason it shouldn't actually form if it can get the members.

I've already spoken to people that may wish to defect. They know where they stand and the decision is theres. No hard feelings - it's just politics, and the Liberals have the membership to cope easily.

Also, you say it like I've been rejecting centre left people. I've continued to recruit both left-libertarians and right-libertarians, it's just that the left are better at taking those members off me than the right

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.