Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR AL Psychology (New): Research methods H167/1 & H567/1 - 15 May & 07 Jun 2017 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moon_light_wolf)
    Thats pretty much how I approached it too. I just tried to approach each of the bullet points, justify why I had said what I did and then linked it to my own questionnaire that I had done
    I'm jsut worried because i kinda rushed it when i didnt need to as i wanted to get it done as it seemed so unclear, i don't think my own research points were good enough and i used the strengh of quantitative data for both the closed question and likert?is that okay? Also the only context i used was putting 'to investigate dreams" or 'dream behaviour" or my example questions which were obvs about dreams too, is that okay?
    some people in my school wrote 3 paegs of real detail and i only filled the space and then a page at the back :/ I felt with so many other points they wanted i didnt write each one as well! Grade boundaries lower or higher? my school found it easy

ReputationRep:
    I have the paper but its too big to upload.

Anyway to change the size?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kholmes1)
    I have the paper but its too big to upload.

Anyway to change the size?
    Hey that would be great thank you! I'm not sure how you would change file size unless you use maybe a google drive?

ReputationRep:
    1. Variable that is being measured: A-Confounding, B-Dependent, C-Extraneous or D- Independent
    2. Mode for the number of words recalled for the young group- A- 12, B-26, C-27, D-28
    3. What is n in the SD- A-6, B-8, C-12, D-15.5
    4. Mean for words recalled in old group. A-12, B-15, C-18, D-26.5
    5. 5. Extraneous variable in this study- A-Age, B-eyesight, c-height, d-income
    6. 6. What test do you use? – A-Chisquare, B-MannWhiteneyU, C- Sign test, D-wilcoxon
    7. 7. Symbol for much less than: (B-<<
    8. 8. Reliability when you have more than two observers. A-External, B-Inter-rater, C-
    9. split half, D- Test-retest.
    10. 9. What type of distribution- A-Negative, B-normal, C- Positive skew, D-Symmetrical
    11. 10. What can be said about the general knowledge from this graph?- A-Most people had high general knowledge, B-Low general knowledge, C-About the same, D-Same amount
    12. of people scored high and low.
    13. 11. Type of inferential test- A-Parabolic, B-Parallel, C-Parametric, D-Paranormal
    14. 12. Measure of dv on Casey- A-High or low delayer, B- Happy or fearful faces, C-Activity level in inferior frontal gyrus, D-age of ppts.
    15. 13. Deductive reasoning, what comes first- A-Data, B-Observation, C-sampling, D-theory.
    16. 14. Scale which includes statements and people say to what extent they agree/disagree- A-Binomial. B-Interval, C-Likert, D-Semantic differential.
    17. 15. Percentage of people who said grey- A-25, B-50, C-75, D-90
    18. 16. Percentage of ppts whose final shock was 315- A-1.6%, B-4%, C-8%, D-10%
    19. 17. Percentage who were disobedient- A-5.6, B-14%, C-35%, D-65%
    20. 18. Questions used in Chaney- A-Closed, B-Open, C-Qualitative, D-semantic differential
    21. 19. Ethical consideration- A-Integration, B-Integrity, C-Intercourse, D-Interrogation
    22. 20. How do you assess internal reliability- A-Comparing responses to questions asking different things, B-Comparing responses asking the same things, C-Responses from 2 different people, D-Comparing responses from a different test

I don't know why its such a weird layout. Ignore the numbers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StressedCoffee)
    urgh so mad at myself I was going to put likert but changed my mind. At least I got the other one right. Thanks!
    I think I put Semantic Differential as well because it said it was between agree and disagree which are two words with opposite meanings, whilst a likert scale is rating something between 1 and 10??

ReputationRep:
    On a teachers forum, they discussed the paper. one teacher said this about the paper:
    The results table in section C is too similar to that given in question 2, consequently questions 2c and 20c seem to be similar and probably some cut and pasting was occurring in preparing the paper. The consequence is that it is impossible to "calculate the mean percentage number of words recalled in each condition" from the table for Section C and so students will have wasted significant time on question 20c and some may just have left this question out all together. The standard deviation provided in question 2b is that for a population, not for the sample. All formula for statistics should be provided by the board so that all students are taught in a standardised manner. How to calculate standard deviation is asked for question 21a, yet the formula has already been provided in 2b. Question 2d could be either B, C or D especially as the question has not suggested if the words are presented in an auditory or visual manner, and so has not highlighted the precise extraneous variable to choose. Overall, not rigourously proof-read or considered before being published.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itskitkatp)
    I think I put Semantic Differential as well because it said it was between agree and disagree which are two words with opposite meanings, whilst a likert scale is rating something between 1 and 10??
    I thought likert was like: SD, D, A, SA.

While Semantic differential is on a scale of 1-10 how much do you agree with...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LenniesRabbit)
    On a teachers forum, they discussed the paper. one teacher said this about the paper:
    The results table in section C is too similar to that given in question 2, consequently questions 2c and 20c seem to be similar and probably some cut and pasting was occurring in preparing the paper. The consequence is that it is impossible to "calculate the mean percentage number of words recalled in each condition" from the table for Section C and so students will have wasted significant time on question 20c and some may just have left this question out all together. The standard deviation provided in question 2b is that for a population, not for the sample. All formula for statistics should be provided by the board so that all students are taught in a standardised manner. How to calculate standard deviation is asked for question 21a, yet the formula has already been provided in 2b. Question 2d could be either B, C or D especially as the question has not suggested if the words are presented in an auditory or visual manner, and so has not highlighted the precise extraneous variable to choose. Overall, not rigourously proof-read or considered before being published.
    So for the calculating the mean percentage, if you actually did it and got it right (as the question was 20c, so therefore even if they used the wrong word, you should know what they are talking about as its part c so its carring on with the same context thing?)
    Does that mean they won't give you the marks/ give everyone a mark. As I spent time doing this, (I didn't know the short way tbh, I had to do the sum of all the fractions which took a lil while to enter into the calculator) and I think I got it right. So its quite unfair to give people marks/not include it in the question on those who did it and spent time doing it. As I could have spent that time doing other stuff.

Also for the ev question, I did put eyesight then crossed it out and put income. I have no idea why i did that. So age was the iv. Isn't height a confounding variable?? Isn't eyesight sort of a confounding variable as well?
    What do you think is the correct answer, eyesight?

ReputationRep:
    I think it was eyesight because if you can't see the word that well it could affect how well you remember it?

ReputationRep:
    I think it was eyesight because if you can't see the word that well it could affect how well you remember it?
    Yeah that makes the most sense. But you could also make some weird argument for income, saying how if you have higher income, you may be more likely to remember as you might have a better job which involves remembering stuff? Idk lmao.

ReputationRep:
    Also it didnt say which of these is most likely to be an ev (which in that case would be eyesight)

Its just saying which ones an ev.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that makes the most sense. But you could also make some weird argument for income, saying how if you have higher income, you may be more likely to remember as you might have a better job which involves remembering stuff? Idk lmao.
    Yeah it was deffo eyesight. Its an extraneous variable and individual uncontrollable difference about a participant. The rest i think the psychologist could (if they wanted to) ask the participant to disclose beforehand but I dont think they could ever try and control eyesight?
    Everything in this paper was off so it could very well be income!😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LenniesRabbit)
    Yeah it was deffo eyesight. Its an extraneous variable and individual uncontrollable difference about a participant. The rest i think the psychologist could (if they wanted to) ask the participant to disclose beforehand but I dont think they could ever try and control eyesight?
    Everything in this paper was off so it could very well be income!😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If they can't control it, isnt that a confounding variable? Or is confounding and extraneous just the same thing?

ReputationRep:
    1. Variable that is being measured: A-Confounding, B-Dependent, C-Extraneous or D- Independent
    2. Mode for the number of words recalled for the young group- A- 12, B-26, C-27, D-28
    3. What is n in the SD- A-6, B-8, C-12, D-15.5
    4. Mean for words recalled in old group. A-12, B-15, C-18, D-26.5
    5. 5. Extraneous variable in this study- A-Age, B-eyesight, c-height, d-income
    6. 6. What test do you use? – A-Chisquare, B-MannWhiteneyU, C- Sign test, D-wilcoxon
    7. 7. Symbol for much less than: (B-<<
    8. 8. Reliability when you have more than two observers. A-External, B-Inter-rater, C-
    9. split half, D- Test-retest.
    10. 9. What type of distribution- A-Negative, B-normal, C- Positive skew, D-Symmetrical
    11. 10. What can be said about the general knowledge from this graph?- A-Most people had high general knowledge, B-Low general knowledge, C-About the same, D-Same amount
    12. of people scored high and low.
    13. 11. Type of inferential test- A-Parabolic, B-Parallel, C-Parametric, D-Paranormal
    14. 12. Measure of dv on Casey- A-High or low delayer, B- Happy or fearful faces, C-Activity level in inferior frontal gyrus, D-age of ppts.
    15. 13. Deductive reasoning, what comes first- A-Data, B-Observation, C-sampling, D-theory.
    16. 14. Scale which includes statements and people say to what extent they agree/disagree- A-Binomial. B-Interval, C-Likert, D-Semantic differential.
    17. 15. Percentage of people who said grey- A-25, B-50, C-75, D-90
    18. 16. Percentage of ppts whose final shock was 315- A-1.6%, B-4%, C-8%, D-10%
    19. 17. Percentage who were disobedient- A-5.6, B-14%, C-35%, D-65%
    20. 18. Questions used in Chaney- A-Closed, B-Open, C-Qualitative, D-semantic differential
    21. 19. Ethical consideration- A-Integration, B-Integrity, C-Intercourse, D-Interrogation
    22. 20. How do you assess internal reliability- A-Comparing responses to questions asking different things, B-Comparing responses asking the same things, C-Responses from 2 different people, D-Comparing responses from a different test

I don't know why its such a weird layout. Ignore the numbers.
    F*** WAS IT PERCENTAGE OF PEOPLE THAT SAID GREY????? I thought it said the number and I wrote 50 ffs, I should probably read questions more carefully

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BEARichards)
    F*** WAS IT PERCENTAGE OF PEOPLE THAT SAID GREY????? I thought it said the number and I wrote 50 ffs, I should probably read questions more carefully
    Sorry wrote it down wrong. It was the amount of people so 50.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry wrote it down wrong. It was the amount of people so 50.
    are you sure?? I spoke to some friends who said they thought it was the percentage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BEARichards)
    are you sure?? I spoke to some friends who said they thought it was the percentage?
    It says how many people said grey was their favourite colour?

The next question was a percentage.

ReputationRep:
    It says how many people said grey was their favourite colour?

The next question was a percentage.
    oh awesome!!!! Thank you so much!!

ReputationRep:
    If they can't control it, isnt that a confounding variable? Or is confounding and extraneous just the same thing?
    Extraneous variables just turn into confounding variables if the extraneous variables aren't controlled and therefore affect the results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moon_light_wolf)
    Extraneous variables just turn into confounding variables if the extraneous variables aren't controlled and therefore affect the results
    ohh ok thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.