Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR AL Psychology (New): Research methods H167/1 & H567/1 - 15 May & 07 Jun 2017 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kholmes1)
    It says how many people said grey was their favourite colour?

The next question was a percentage.
    I thought it was percentage?? So 25?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BEARichards)
    F*** WAS IT PERCENTAGE OF PEOPLE THAT SAID GREY????? I thought it said the number and I wrote 50 ffs, I should probably read questions more carefully
    I checked my answers and im sure it was percentage?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charrip)
    I thought it was percentage?? So 25?
    On the paper it says the amount of people so 50. It was 25% who said grey but you had to convert that into a number.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charrip)
    I checked my answers and im sure it was percentage?!?!
    Ill write the actual question down: (Cant copy and paste)

The pie chart below displays the data from a sample of 200 people asked what their favourite colour is. How many people said grey was their favourite colour?

You had a pie chart, grey was a quarter of it.

The next question and the one after was a percentage question. (About Milgram though) It won't let me upload the actual paper, I can email it though?

ReputationRep:
    Ill write the actual question down: (Cant copy and paste)

The pie chart below displays the data from a sample of 200 people asked what their favourite colour is. How many people said grey was their favourite colour?

You had a pie chart, grey was a quarter of it.

The next question and the one after was a percentage question. (About Milgram though) It won't let me upload the actual paper, I can email it though?
    Ah nooooooo

ReputationRep:
    So for the calculating the mean percentage, if you actually did it and got it right (as the question was 20c, so therefore even if they used the wrong word, you should know what they are talking about as its part c so its carring on with the same context thing?)
    Does that mean they won't give you the marks/ give everyone a mark. As I spent time doing this, (I didn't know the short way tbh, I had to do the sum of all the fractions which took a lil while to enter into the calculator) and I think I got it right. So its quite unfair to give people marks/not include it in the question on those who did it and spent time doing it. As I could have spent that time doing other stuff.

Also for the ev question, I did put eyesight then crossed it out and put income. I have no idea why i did that. So age was the iv. Isn't height a confounding variable?? Isn't eyesight sort of a confounding variable as well?
    What do you think is the correct answer, eyesight?
    I have no idea unfortunately. I attempted the question but my Maths is pretty poor so I don't think my answer was correct. But I do think that if you got the answer then you will be rewarded. I think the conseqeunce of this question is that the grade boundaries may be quite low and reflect the fact that the question was poorly written

Apparently the AS Psychology exam also had an error (standard form question) and so did an OCR English exam :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not looking forward to my OCR Biology exams coming up.

ReputationRep:
    Last year this paper had 79% for an A, what do you think this year? my school said it was easy but im not sure!

ReputationRep:
    is there a thread for OCR a level core studies the one happening on the 14th?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polaroidfilms)
    is there a thread for OCR a level core studies the one happening on the 14th?
    I think this is pretty much it (unless anyone wants to make one?)

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know for sure whether Milgram's experiment is a Lab experiment or a controlled observation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LenniesRabbit)
    On a teachers forum, they discussed the paper. one teacher said this about the paper:
    The results table in section C is too similar to that given in question 2, consequently questions 2c and 20c seem to be similar and probably some cut and pasting was occurring in preparing the paper. The consequence is that it is impossible to "calculate the mean percentage number of words recalled in each condition" from the table for Section C and so students will have wasted significant time on question 20c and some may just have left this question out all together. The standard deviation provided in question 2b is that for a population, not for the sample. All formula for statistics should be provided by the board so that all students are taught in a standardised manner. How to calculate standard deviation is asked for question 21a, yet the formula has already been provided in 2b. Question 2d could be either B, C or D especially as the question has not suggested if the words are presented in an auditory or visual manner, and so has not highlighted the precise extraneous variable to choose. Overall, not rigourously proof-read or considered before being published.
    Whats the link to the teachers forum?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairebear101)
    Whats the link to the teachers forum?
    http://www.resourcd.com/forum/show_discussion/7610

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know for sure whether Milgram's experiment is a Lab experiment or a controlled observation?
    I was wondering that as well. I think you can refer to it as either. But theres no manipulation of the iv?

ReputationRep:
    Posted: Thursday, June 8, 2017 @ 09:21 AM
    Inattentionl blindness! We all know how easy it is to miss the obvious even when proof reading. The only way to avoid this in an exam paper is to sit the paper, only then can we be sure to reveal mistakes and ambiguity of questions (there was one in the AS paper).

Lmao inattentional blindness
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering that as well. I think you can refer to it as either. But theres no manipulation of the iv?
    Exactly! The OCR resource online says 'Although Milgram refers to this study as an experiment, it is generally considered a controlled observation as there was, in fact, no independent variable'. My textbook calls it a lab experiment. So I assume we would get marks for either hopefully

ReputationRep:
    Apparently for the 'Questionaire bullet point" you had to say how you would use a questionaire and why this was a good way of doing the research...well i wrote about how i could have a lot of questions which is good etc. etc. so not far off, i may get credit for that lmao oh knows

ReputationRep:
    Exactly! The OCR resource online says 'Although Milgram refers to this study as an experiment, it is generally considered a controlled observation as there was, in fact, no independent variable'. My textbook calls it a lab experiment. So I assume we would get marks for either hopefully
    It is a controlled observation. There was no IV. They just observed people's behaviour when giving electric shocks to people. Definitely not a lab experiment.

ReputationRep:
    I thought likert was like: SD, D, A, SA.

While Semantic differential is on a scale of 1-10 how much do you agree with...
    Oh really? I thought it was the other way around because semantic refers to the meaning of a word so it's two words on each end with different meanings? I may be wrong haha, that's just what I thought...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itskitkatp)
    Oh really? I thought it was the other way around because semantic refers to the meaning of a word so it's two words on each end with different meanings? I may be wrong haha, that's just what I thought...
    You are correct. Likert scale is strongly agree to strongly disagree in regards to a statement e.g. "I like chocolate". Semantic differential scale is two opposite words on a scale e.g. introvert and extrovert. A person answers this scale by placing a mark along the line:

Introvert -------------------------------X-------Extrovert

In that case, the person feels they are closer to being an extrovert than an introvert.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.