Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR AL Psychology (New): Research methods H167/1 & H567/1 - 15 May & 07 Jun 2017 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LenniesRabbit)
    Oh no I deff think you should because Psychology as a Science came up on the AS paper specimen then came up this year...so it could genuinely come up :/
    I guess i have to. The application is the challenging part when you have barely any time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    what debates does Szaz fall under?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polaroidfilms)
    what debates does Szaz fall under?
    Psychology as a science

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any top band answers for criminal section?

ReputationRep:
    Could someone PLEASE help me with this question or give me any points for it:
    Explain how research by Van Leeuwan et al could be used to understand similarities and differences in intelligence of twins (10)

I get that you have to describe the study first, that's fine. But the textbook focuses so heavily on spousal correlation/cultural transmission and the only thing it mentions about TWINS is the fact that they have a higher IQ similarity in Monozygotic compared to Dizygotic twins. How do you write a full 10 mark on just that alone!?

ReputationRep:
    Could someone PLEASE help me with this question or give me any points for it:
    Explain how research by Van Leeuwan et al could be used to understand similarities and differences in intelligence of twins (10)

I get that you have to describe the study first, that's fine. But the textbook focuses so heavily on spousal correlation/cultural transmission and the only thing it mentions about TWINS is the fact that they have a higher IQ similarity in Monozygotic compared to Dizygotic twins. How do you write a full 10 mark on just that alone!?
    Well you could focus on how the study concluded that intelligence is mostly affected by genetic factors but that those with a lower IQ were more likely to be influenced by environmental factors. So although monozygotic twins could have a similar Iq, they could differ due to their environmental context. Your example about monozygotic and dizygotic twins also serves as a difference.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know if anyone has seen this question but it states :
    Leroy is a new teacher at Park School and has a lunchtime craft group with students aged between 6and 10 years old .
    He is aware that the older and younger children might have different needs when learning crafts such as sewing and woodwork .
    Discuss how Leroys understanding of the congitive development of children will impact on the way he treats children in his group (10)
    this is application question for cognitive development and education .
    Does anyone know what you could you could put for that question at this stage even bullet points would be great because the struggle is real 😭😭

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicedd)
    I dont know if anyone has seen this question but it states :
    Leroy is a new teacher at Park School and has a lunchtime craft group with students aged between 6and 10 years old .
    He is aware that the older and younger children might have different needs when learning crafts such as sewing and woodwork .
    Discuss how Leroys understanding of the congitive development of children will impact on the way he treats children in his group (10)
    this is application question for cognitive development and education .
    Does anyone know what you could you could put for that question at this stage even bullet points would be great because the struggle is real 😭😭
    1. Understanding of Piaget's stages of development shows that not every child learns in the same way - he should give younger children easier tasks
    2. More knowledgeable others (Vygotsky) - he should help the children or encourage them to work in groups.
    3. They may need some verbal prods to correct them and show them along. (Links to key research) - He should would recognise that his role is for frusturation control and attracting the children to the task as well as simplifiying it or showing an example at first as shown by Wood's study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StressedCoffee)
    Well you could focus on how the study concluded that intelligence is mostly affected by genetic factors but that those with a lower IQ were more likely to be influenced by environmental factors. So although monozygotic twins could have a similar Iq, they could differ due to their environmental context. Your example about monozygotic and dizygotic twins also serves as a difference.
    Oh rightt I didn't even think you could mention the environment thing in this question! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    1. Understanding of Piaget's stages of development shows that not every child learns in the same way - he should give younger children easier tasks
    2. More knowledgeable others (Vygotsky) - he should help the children or encourage them to work in groups.
    3. They may need some verbal prods to correct them and show them along. (Links to key research) - He should would recognise that his role is for frusturation control and attracting the children to the task as well as simplifiying it or showing an example at first as shown by Wood's study.
    thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    Can someone outline Szas for me and what we need to know because there is a lot of information and I'm not sure which is relevant? thanks

ReputationRep:
    • argues that people with mental illness should not be treated a s if they are victims of a biological illness
    • argues that the definition of illness is 'structural or functional alteration of cells,tissues, or cells and all mental illness should be known brain diseases if they were actually diseases
    •argues that the term refers to a subjective judgement about the 'bad behaviour of others
    • proposes that mental illness should be treated with therapy rather than with any biological treatments and should only be given to those who want It (critices psychiatry for becoming a tool of the state and coercing those who don't want help)

ReputationRep:
    What are peoples predictions for Crime and Sports psychology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MapleMaypole)
    What are peoples predictions for Crime and Sports psychology?
    I don't do Sports Psych but for Crime I think either Zimbardo or Raine.

ReputationRep:
    Hi i find it easy to apply knowledge when the part C asks for aplications but when it asks you to deisgn reseach i find i fall into the trap of deisging research without using my knowledge as it does not relate closely to the question which appears to be based around description? Also im so worried ive messed up in the core studies as in the last two questions i only descrived two changes and then gave my strenghts and weaknesses of each in a disscution, i didnt link in any core studies at all as it didnt ask to use your psychological knowlege i didnt even think too, im so worried i know wont get an A which i need t uni, particuly if grade boundaries go up

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help with this question? I need 4 points, 2 for nature and 2 for nurture:

Assess the nature/nurture debate with regard to the development of intelligence. (15)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairebear101)
    Hi i find it easy to apply knowledge when the part C asks for aplications but when it asks you to deisgn reseach i find i fall into the trap of deisging research without using my knowledge as it does not relate closely to the question which appears to be based around description? Also im so worried ive messed up in the core studies as in the last two questions i only descrived two changes and then gave my strenghts and weaknesses of each in a disscution, i didnt link in any core studies at all as it didnt ask to use your psychological knowlege i didnt even think too, im so worried i know wont get an A which i need t uni, particuly if grade boundaries go up
    Hey first of all I didn't think we were meant to use core studies nor did I evaluate weaknesses of my 2 points so you're not alone in that
    Do you have any examples of questions that you found hard to answer? That way I can help you more easily

ReputationRep:
    Hey first of all I didn't think we were meant to use core studies nor did I evaluate weaknesses of my 2 points so you're not alone in that
    Do you have any examples of questions that you found hard to answer? That way I can help you more easily
    I hope not! i couldnt think of how to 6 marks for making 2 changes like one of mine was increase the sample size like all i said was use two classes not one! how can u even give more of a decription on how to do that!? ah okay well i hope that the grade boundaries reflect the change in structure! I was mainly refering to the one you posted on here about Darlys interview technique about sleeping in the police station? Of course here you have to descrive how to do the study? how can u link in what u know about context reinstatment into a research design? i struggle when i cant use PEE! i did read your answer but with no structure to these question types i find it hard

ReputationRep:
    Oh I get you, yeah it is literally the structure that I found hard too! I think the best way to think of it is in terms of what you KNOW first. E.g. you know that there are many different ways to interview suspects: context reinstatement/reordering/hypnosis/cognitive interviewetc. So each of those will be a point. It's so much easier when you consider evrything that the topic is about and all of the background in your head first, then read through the passage again and jot down how each thing can link to the topic as a whole. E.g. if you have those many different ways to interviews suspects in your head as mentioned above, then you read the passage and see that Daryl recommends people to sleep in the police station, you can automatically then apply hypnosis to it as well as context reinstatement by playing them sounds of the crime scene whilst they sleep. Thats 2 small paragraphs done.

Then think of what you have left on your list (narrative reorderring etc). If you know that the passage is about sleep, maybe suggest that they describe the scene in one way first, then go to sleep, then describe it backwards.
    Literally anything goes in this question as long as you have a variety of points and you can back up what you're saying with evidence from studies/background/ application etc.

Lemme know if that makes sense?
    (Original post by clairebear101)
    I hope not! i couldnt think of how to 6 marks for making 2 changes like one of mine was increase the sample size like all i said was use two classes not one! how can u even give more of a decription on how to do that!? ah okay well i hope that the grade boundaries reflect the change in structure! I was mainly refering to the one you posted on here about Darlys interview technique about sleeping in the police station? Of course here you have to descrive how to do the study? how can u link in what u know about context reinstatment into a research design? i struggle when i cant use PEE! i did read your answer but with no structure to these question types i find it hard

ReputationRep:
    Oh I get you, yeah it is literally the structure that I found hard too! I think the best way to think of it is in terms of what you KNOW first. E.g. you know that there are many different ways to interview suspects: context reinstatement/reordering/hypnosis/cognitive interviewetc. So each of those will be a point. It's so much easier when you consider evrything that the topic is about and all of the background in your head first, then read through the passage again and jot down how each thing can link to the topic as a whole. E.g. if you have those many different ways to interviews suspects in your head as mentioned above, then you read the passage and see that Daryl recommends people to sleep in the police station, you can automatically then apply hypnosis to it as well as context reinstatement by playing them sounds of the crime scene whilst they sleep. Thats 2 small paragraphs done.

Then think of what you have left on your list (narrative reorderring etc). If you know that the passage is about sleep, maybe suggest that they describe the scene in one way first, then go to sleep, then describe it backwards.
    Literally anything goes in this question as long as you have a variety of points and you can back up what you're saying with evidence from studies/background/ application etc.

Lemme know if that makes sense?
    Ah i see so its not asking you to design one procedure its asking you for a variety of differnt ways to test the technique! so you could talk about in one pargraph how he should build a rapport to reduce anxiety so that the effects of darly's context reinstatement can be seen as participants will be rellaxed and able to recall information effectively?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.