Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR AL Psychology (New): Research methods H167/1 & H567/1 - 15 May & 07 Jun 2017 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=schoolgirl1;71728698]
    (Original post by LenniesRabbit)

No problem!! Yes there are i'll take some pictures now!
    [QUOTE=schoolgirl1;71728746]

should I send chi, mann whitney U, sign and wilcoxon? and the answers too?
    If you could yes please! I need some more practice on those in particular!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=LenniesRabbit;71728794][QUOTE=schoolgirl1;71728698]

(Original post by schoolgirl1)

If you could yes please! I need some more practice on those in particular!
    Sure, I attatched Spearman's Rho also
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=schoolgirl1;71729494][QUOTE=LenniesRabbit;71728794]

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=schoolgirl1;71729494][QUOTE=LenniesRabbit;71728794]

Sure, I attatched Spearman's Rho also :)
    Hi does anyone have the practice papers that are locked on the ocr website for research methods and core studies for new spec h167 thanks x

ReputationRep:
    is there any way you can send it? I don't know how to get into interchange?
    ask your teacher for their login

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=schoolgirl1;71729530][QUOTE=schoolgirl1;71729494][QUOTE=schoolgirl1;71729494][QUOTE=LenniesRabbit;71728794]

Great Thank you so much for this!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=LenniesRabbit;71734036][QUOTE=schoolgirl1;71729530][QUOTE=schoolgirl1;71729494]

[QUOTE=schoolgirl1;71729494]

Great Thank you so much for this!
    You're welcome!! Did you see my reply to your practice questions also? I thought of some improvements let me know if it helped

ReputationRep:
    Hey! These answers are really good!!
    I went through and tried to come up with some suggestions for improvement, let me know what you think or if this helps!!

So for question 1, the general structure for this type of question should be
    1) Name an advantage of questionnaires
    2) Explain in context to fears, phobias and anxieties
    3) Then overall explain why it is an advantage
    Then you would repeat but for the disadvantage
    So for the advantage: Your answer is really good and it generally follows the structure to get the marks, but I would maybe suggest a different advantage, I can see where you're coming from about the judging face to face thing, however I would think that on questionnaires participants are just as likely to lie - especially if it is not anonymous and confidentiality is not kept. I feel like your advantage contradicts your disadvantage by saying that questionnaires will produce more honest answers, and then in your disadvantage you have written about social desirability so maybe just come up with a different point! Your context is good as you have referred back to the language of the question well which will get you lots of marks!! My teacher says you should refer to the language in the Q until it sounds like you're repeating yourself! So for this one, you would get marks in your answer for using the words fears, phobias and anxieties which your answers did well!
    I would try to remember the key strengths and weaknesses of questionnaires for these types of questions and then all you have to do is link it to the context given to you in the questions. This is a good site for that: http://www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level/psyc...and-interviews but there are loads of sites online that suggest strengths and weaknesses that you could learn for the exam!
    I hope this makes sense, this is what I would probably write:

1. One advantage of using the questionnaire method in this study on helping people overcome their fears, phobias and anxieties, is that the research will be replicable due to the standardised questions that will be the same for each participant. This will mean that the answers can be compared and analysed easily by the psychologists in order for them to help the participants overcome their fears, phobias and anxieties. This is an advantage as the data collected on fears, phobias and anxieties will have high internal reliability.

As for your disadvantage, the answer is also really good, and there aren't many things to suggest for improvement, however on the last sentence where you write about reliability, I would say that social desirability is more validity than reliability! Other than that it is a very good answer and uses lots of context too!
    So for the last sentence I would just change it to:
    This is a disadvantage because it means that data collected by the psychologists would not be valid as answers would not reflect the participant's true feelings towards their fears, phobias and anxieties.

Q2- Remember that your not describing what a structured interview is, you should be describing a semi-structured interview, so essentially it is where some questions are already planned however the interviewer is allowed to seek clarification or ask more questions to extend from a response. So in your answer I think you may have got them confused.
    I would write something like this:

A semi-structured interview is a qualitative method of data collection which combines a pre-determined set of open questions and allows the interviewer to seek clarification and explore responses further.

Q3 - Your answer has good understanding of the question and I'd say your answer would get 2/2!

Q4 - Although you answer the question - I would suggest using a disadvantage that is more general to do with unstructured interviews (e.g difficult to compare or something) and THEN link it to the context of the study since to get the marks you want to make sure what you write will be guaranteed to be included in the examiners mark scheme and I'm not sure that ethical harm issues would be included, but then again I'm just assuming
    So maybe write something like:
    One disadvantage of unstructured interviews in this study on overcoming fears, phobias and anxieties is that the interview may become less focused on the aim of overcoming fears, phobias and anxieties since there are no set questions. This is a disadvantage as the psychologists will find it more difficult to compare and analyse the data collected on fears, phobias and anxieties due to them being asked potentially very different questions on their fears, phobias and anxieties.

I really hope this helped!! Let me know if you have any questions or if you have any improvements to my responses also, I think that marking other people's work is a good way to revise!
    Just checked this! Thank you, I agree that this is a great way to revise. Question 4 I honestly wasn't too confident answering but what you said is true in terms of having a general criticism that can then be adapted to the question set. Question 2 I don't think I was even paying attention to when I answered This has helped a lot so thank you for your effort. If you write any practice answers and don't mind sharing them whenever youre free that would be really good too!

ReputationRep:
    Just checked this! Thank you, I agree that this is a great way to revise. Question 4 I honestly wasn't too confident answering but what you said is true in terms of having a general criticism that can then be adapted to the question set. Question 2 I don't think I was even paying attention to when I answered This has helped a lot so thank you for your effort. If you write any practice answers and don't mind sharing them whenever youre free that would be really good too!
    Yay so glad to have helped! Of course, I'll post on here when I get around to writing some!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awele18)
    does anyone have the markscheme for the practice papers?
    hi, is it possible if u can send me the practice papers? or take pics of them if they are on paper? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maddy644)
    hi, is it possible if u can send me the practice papers? or take pics of them if they are on paper? thanks

i can email them to you because the files are big

ReputationRep:
    Answered a 12 mark for the research methods exam which my teacher said is a level 4. Hope this is of some use to you guys (any feedback would be great too!)

A psychologist noted that females responded better than males to a new treatment for anorexia. Explain how you would carry out a self-report investigation to investigate why females were responding better. Justify your decisions as part of your explanation.
    Refer to:
    1. A structured or unstructured interview
    2. sampling technique
    3. how you would reduce researcher effects or bias.
    4. how ethical issues can be dealt with.

You should use your own experience of practical activities to inform your response. (12)

I would carry out an investigation to investigate why females responded better than males to a new treatment for anorexia. To do this, I would use an unstructured interview (an interview where the questions are not pre-determined and are based on interviewee response). This would allow for more in-depth and qualitative reporting of exact feelings and emotions towards the anorexia treatment as there would be more room for elaboration and deeper analysis of exactly why the treatment works. This would increase the validity of the data collected as I would be sure that data that I am collecting is truly about female responses towards treatments of anorexia and not anything else. Structured interviews would lower validity, as misinterpretations may occur and they may respond to questions in a way will not give me any relevant information about their feelings towards the anorexia treatment at all.

My study at school aimed to investigate the reasons why pupils who listened to music whilst revising for a memory exam remembered more words out of 10 than those who did not. I used a structured interview which considerably limited responses and didn’t give me enough valid information to go off of as most questions were closed which collected statistical data that did not explain exact emotional differences between the two control groups. Therefore, an unstructured interview would be best for investigating why females respond better to anorexia treatments than boys.

I would use opportunity sampling to gather a sample from a clinic of around 40 males and females. Opportunity sampling would help to gather an accurate target population and avoid interviewing individuals who do not meet my criteria. However, it may cause problems with attrition rates as participants may not feel obligated to take part for the full duration of the interview and would thus drop out if they change their minds. In contrast to a self-selected sample, opportunity sampling does not give the interviewee any detailed understanding of what they are signing up for and increases the risk of them refusing to be interviewed. My study at school used an opportunity sample of sixth-form students who were all available at the time, which made it easier to gather a quick sample but had let to several dropping out once realising the length of the study. However, as female and male participants would have been selected from a medical environment for a medical investigation it is likely that they would be willing to take part.

Researcher effects would be reduced by ensuring that I do not record the interview data by writing but instead record the information using a hidden voice recorder. This would reduce demand characteristics and also reduce research effects by making sure that I do not give away any subtle cues about what I want to hear from the interviewees (which would be evident if I were writing some details down at one point and not another). My school study had recorded participants using a voice recorder instead of writing down information, which made the participants feel able to answer the question freely without feeling obliged to say something to please me – for example, that they felt annoyed at having to listen to music whilst revising. This would ensure that more valid data is collected as information provided by the female and male participants would not be influenced by possibly biased cues that I would provide them.

I would ensure that participant identities are kept confidential, and would do this through allocating the participants letters instead of names as anorexia and its treatments is a socially sensitive issue. As well as this, I would ensure that all participants leave in the same condition that they had come in for example by possibly holding a debriefing lunch after the interview. This is because I must ensure the psychological protection of participants as elaborate information provided during the interview on reasons why females respond better to anorexia treatments may cause some upset. My study at school had given each participant a sweet after participating which ensured that they could trust me and that they did not leave in any harm. However, not all participants would respond in the same way to acts of debriefing and some may still feel upset about their responses, however, in the context of my study it is unlikely that the debriefing would cause any further harm.

ReputationRep:
    Answered a 12 mark for the research methods exam which my teacher said is a level 4. Hope this is of some use to you guys (any feedback would be great too!)

A psychologist noted that females responded better than males to a new treatment for anorexia. Explain how you would carry out a self-report investigation to investigate why females were responding better. Justify your decisions as part of your explanation.
    Refer to:
    2. sampling technique

You should use your own experience of practical activities to inform your response. (12)

I would carry out an investigation to investigate why females responded better than males to a new treatment for anorexia. To do this, I would use an unstructured interview (an interview where the questions are not pre-determined and are based on interviewee response). This would allow for more in-depth and qualitative reporting of exact feelings and emotions towards the anorexia treatment as there would be more room for elaboration and deeper analysis of exactly why the treatment works. This would increase the validity of the data collected as I would be sure that data that I am collecting is truly about female responses towards treatments of anorexia and not anything else. Structured interviews would lower validity, as misinterpretations may occur and they may respond to questions in a way will not give me any relevant information about their feelings towards the anorexia treatment at all.

My study at school aimed to investigate the reasons why pupils who listened to music whilst revising for a memory exam remembered more words out of 10 than those who did not. I used a structured interview which considerably limited responses and didn’t give me enough valid information to go off of as most questions were closed which collected statistical data that did not explain exact emotional differences between the two control groups. Therefore, an unstructured interview would be best for investigating why females respond better to anorexia treatments than boys.

I would use opportunity sampling to gather a sample from a clinic of around 40 males and females. Opportunity sampling would help to gather an accurate target population and avoid interviewing individuals who do not meet my criteria. However, it may cause problems with attrition rates as participants may not feel obligated to take part for the full duration of the interview and would thus drop out if they change their minds. In contrast to a self-selected sample, opportunity sampling does not give the interviewee any detailed understanding of what they are signing up for and increases the risk of them refusing to be interviewed. My study at school used an opportunity sample of sixth-form students who were all available at the time, which made it easier to gather a quick sample but had let to several dropping out once realising the length of the study. However, as female and male participants would have been selected from a medical environment for a medical investigation it is likely that they would be willing to take part.

Researcher effects would be reduced by ensuring that I do not record the interview data by writing but instead record the information using a hidden voice recorder. This would reduce demand characteristics and also reduce research effects by making sure that I do not give away any subtle cues about what I want to hear from the interviewees (which would be evident if I were writing some details down at one point and not another). My school study had recorded participants using a voice recorder instead of writing down information, which made the participants feel able to answer the question freely without feeling obliged to say something to please me – for example, that they felt annoyed at having to listen to music whilst revising. This would ensure that more valid data is collected as information provided by the female and male participants would not be influenced by possibly biased cues that I would provide them.

I would ensure that participant identities are kept confidential, and would do this through allocating the participants letters instead of names as anorexia and its treatments is a socially sensitive issue. As well as this, I would ensure that all participants leave in the same condition that they had come in for example by possibly holding a debriefing lunch after the interview. This is because I must ensure the psychological protection of participants as elaborate information provided during the interview on reasons why females respond better to anorexia treatments may cause some upset. My study at school had given each participant a sweet after participating which ensured that they could trust me and that they did not leave in any harm. However, not all participants would respond in the same way to acts of debriefing and some may still feel upset about their responses, however, in the context of my study it is unlikely that the debriefing would cause any further harm.
    Excellent answer, definitely a top band. May i ask you how long you took and plan to take for this type of question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueriver)
    Excellent answer, definitely a top band. May i ask you how long you took and plan to take for this type of question
    Hi thank you! I'm not 100% sure whether this question will be a 15 mark in the new A level or will remain a 12, but my teacher recommended 20 mins.

To be honest I wrote too much for that amount of time (took 30 mins due to not actually understanding what researcher effects were and having to google ) but I don't recommend 20 Mins. I'm quite a fast writer but overall I'd say stick to 15 because it is very easy to get carried away in this question, but take it to 20 if you are ahead of time in the exam. Make sure to get as much practice on these questions as possible so that the answer just comes to you instead of you having to think too much.

Edit: just timed a 15 mark and it took 16 mins on the dot!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, does anyone know if we need to put additional details in the 15mk design questions, apart from the required features? Would you gain or lose marks either way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ac3005)
    Hey, does anyone know if we need to put additional details in the 15mk design questions, apart from the required features? Would you gain or lose marks either way?
    You wouldn't lose marks for it, but my teacher went to an OCR training session for this spec and they explicitly said that you do not need to include anything other than the 4 specified required features

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BEARichards)
    You wouldn't lose marks for it, but my teacher went to an OCR training session for this spec and they explicitly said that you do not need to include anything other than the 4 specified required features
    Wow that makes timing and structuring so much easier. Thank you! 😊

ReputationRep:
    A2 Research Methods A* advice?

ReputationRep:

Refer to:
    2. sampling technique

Super good answer! Well structured and you answered all the points!! I would watch out with getting carried away where you don't need to, in your para about opportunity sampling! You started by saying you would use an opportunity sample and you explained HOW which is really important! Then you gave a positive ... and then you contradicted you point by saying that it may cause problems!! This is great psychology knowledge and all, but just make sure you stick to the question and what it asks you to do! You probably wont have time in the exam either! General structure of paras that I tend to use is: Refer to bullet point and say which you will use, then state an advantage of using this or a disadvantage of the option you did not choose - in context to question, then say about previous research you conducted and say what it was about and say which method you chose in that research and how it made the results better (an advantage) or how it wasn't effective (a disadvantage) and then say therefore I will use .... in my self-report on .....
    Some suggestions for your answer:

I would use opportunity sampling to gather a sample from a clinic of around 40 males and females. Opportunity sampling would help to gather an accurate target population and avoid interviewing individuals who do not meet my criteria. My study at school (also I would maybe say "In previous research I have conducted" sounds more professional haha)- then you need to give a little context of what you did in the self-report, just as you did on the previous paragraphs! used an opportunity sample of sixth-form students who were all available at the time, which made it easier to gather a quick sample. Therefore I will obtain an opportunity sample for my self-report on why females responded better than males on a new treatment for anorexia.

hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    Hey I know this is about the last exam but does anybody know how background might be asked about in the applied exam. Going through notes and everything I just see that they give so much information on background! How much do we really need to know?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.