Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone know about NCS? (National Citizenship Service) Watch

ReputationRep:
    They came to my school and spoke to me the other day even though I was tired af and wanted to sleep, I was actually kinda interested in it but didn't get the chance to ask the pair more questions. I wanna do it but I'm worried the people I meet wont really connect? I know they split you into groups but hesitant as to how they do it if anyone knows? Do they do it by interests or is it random? Im up for everything except heights I can do heights but not big big heights? Can someone whos done it reply please and answer?

ReputationRep:
    I did NCS in 2015. The groups you're placed into are mostly random. When you apply, you have to put down your preferences for certain activities you do during the programme and they try to accommodate this.

Whether or not you connect with your team is up to you. I've never been the most social person but I quickly made friends on NCS despite not knowing a single person in my cohort beforehand. People don't just connect without some effort on both their parts. You'll make friends easily if you open up and try and get to know people and let people know you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BasicMistake)
    I did NCS in 2015. The groups you're placed into are mostly random. When you apply, you have to put down your preferences for certain activities you do during the programme and they try to accommodate this.

Whether or not you connect with your team is up to you. I've never been the most social person but I quickly made friends on NCS despite not knowing a single person in my cohort beforehand. People don't just connect without some effort on both their parts. You'll make friends easily if you open up and try and get to know people and let people know you.
    Ehhh, ok well how do they decide the location you stay at and what if after I try to get to know them we still don't really have anything in common.

ReputationRep:
    I did NCS in 2016

Imo what you get out of NCS is what you put in. At first it will be akward but after the first or second week you will actually start to gel
    If you don't find something in common it doesn't matter because thats what NCS is all about, meeting people you wouldn't have met before.

Only advice is go in with an open mind and AVOID drama! - it ruins the experience and the other people around you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popsiclez)
    Ehhh, ok well how do they decide the location you stay at and what if after I try to get to know them we still don't really have anything in common.
    You are only told where you will be going after you apply. Week One will be somewhere in the countryside whereas Week Two will be in your local area. I had a Week Three which was also local but I know people who only had a 2 week programme.

If you genuinely can't find any similar interests (which I doubt), you'll be doing enough together to still enjoy it and have something to talk about. And anyway, it's not as if you're spending years together, if you really can't get along then just stick it out for two or three weeks.

ReputationRep:
    You are only told where you will be going after you apply. Week One will be somewhere in the countryside whereas Week Two will be in your local area. I had a Week Three which was also local but I know people who only had a 2 week programme.

If you genuinely can't find any similar interests (which I doubt), you'll be doing enough together to still enjoy it and have something to talk about. And anyway, it's not as if you're spending years together, if you really can't get along then just stick it out for two or three weeks.
    Sigh, I've seen blogs of people on NCS on Youtube and they find amazing people exactly like them, and say they were just lucky, I really want that!

Ok so do you mind talking me through the weeks again, hows a typical day like, did you keep in touch with anyone you met on NCS?

ReputationRep:
    They came to my school and spoke to me the other day even though I was tired af and wanted to sleep, I was actually kinda interested in it but didn't get the chance to ask the pair more questions. I wanna do it but I'm worried the people I meet wont really connect? I know they split you into groups but hesitant as to how they do it if anyone knows? Do they do it by interests or is it random? Im up for everything except heights I can do heights but not big big heights? Can someone whos done it reply please and answer?
    Heya!
    I did NCS in 2015, and i now actually work for them in my area. As every area has a different provider, experiences will differ from region to region, but the general structure is the same across the UK.

In regards to people connecting, this generally isn;t much of an issue. A lot of people who do NCS may not know anyone like you, especially in groups. Because of that, I found that everyone does generally get along quite easily. There may be Keep Warm events hosted, where you can actually meet your group prior to the programme starting. If not, your mentors will be doing ice breaker sessions on programme to help everyone get to know each other. If you have a serious problem with your group, you can request to change groups, but this may not be possible due to group sizes or location.

The groups are generally around 10-15 people. These groups are put together based on your location (At least in my region, which is a very large). During the last two weeks, you'll be in your local area doing a social action project. To make it as easy for people to meet up, groups are based on who you live near.

Don't worry about your fear of heights! Your mentor wouldn't force you to do anything that you don't want to do. They may encourage you to give it go, see how far you can get. Even if that's just walking to the top of the high ropes platform. If you don't want to do it, you won't have to do it.

About the structure of the weeks, this will depend on your area so i won't go into too much detail as it may be slightly different. But the general structure of the programme is split into three phases.

Phase 1: This phase is very action based. This will typically take place in an adventure camp of some sort, where during the day you will be doing activities such as rock climbing, raft building, archery, the leap of faith. In the evenings different things should be put on, such as sports and games. My cohort played a game of capture the flag, with about 250 people, it was very fun.

Phase 2: This is about improving your skill set. Typically, this week will be held at a university. There will be many different workshops throughou the week. My region will bring in a company such as Sky, and run a business challange. This year we had a self defence session, dance, arts and more.

Phase 3: These last two weeks are where you get involved. Your group will generally have some imput in what they want to do for these two weeks. You may be fundraising for a charity, renovating a house, painting a mural.

I hope i answered a lot of your questions and don't hesitate to ask any more

ReputationRep:

Was it fun?
    Do you think it was a good four weeks or a waste of time?
    Were the teams mixed up in all 4 weeks ( for the community project etc.)?
    Also were you at home for most of the day for the last 2 weeks?
    And are you still in touch with anybody from there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleky6910)
    Was it fun?
    Do you think it was a good four weeks or a waste of time?
    Were the teams mixed up in all 4 weeks ( for the community project etc.)?
    Also were you at home for most of the day for the last 2 weeks?
    And are you still in touch with anybody from there?
    Yes.
    Brilliant first week, good second, mediocre third and tedious weekends in September.
    Same teams for the whole thing.
    Third week is 9 to 5. Then 9-5 on 4 Saturdays in the following September.
    Essentially no.

ReputationRep:
    Pure BS. Especially the last couple of weeks..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adeel Ali)
    Pure BS. Especially the last couple of weeks..
    How so?

ReputationRep:
    How so?
    Waste of holiday time IMO. Would much rather sit at home and binge watch some telly after studying hard for a year. Just my 2 cents..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.