Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    B1099 – Organ Donation Bill 2017, TSR Government

Organ Donation Bill 2017
    An Act to change the organ donation system to an 'opt-out' one

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1: Opt Out System
    (1) Once a person turns 18 they will be automatically put on the NHS Organ Donation Register.
    (2) The Secretary of State with responsibility for Health will make provision for individuals to be removed from the register if they so request.
    (3) The Department of Health will collect all information it does not currently have on the blood type of citizens.

2: Extent, Commencement and Short Title
    (1) This Act extends to the United Kingdom.
    (2) The provisions of this Act come into force on 1st June 2017
    (3) This Act may be cited as the Organ Donation Act 2017.

Notes
    Currently, 1000 people die in Britain each year because of organ shortages. It is estimated that almost all of these deaths could be prevented if there was a minor change in the system; making organ donation an opt out system rather than an opt in one. Under the current system, the main reason why people may not add themselves to the organ donor list is simply because they simply lack the time and motivation to do so.

There are several reasons why people may object to donating their organs after they pass away, often due to their religion. If people do not wish to donate their organs when they die, they will be completely entitled to remove themselves from the Organ Donation Register without any cost concurred. Similar legislation is already in place in Wales and the British Medical Association claims that dozens of lives been saved as a result of it.

Here are some articles related to this bill:
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jun/22/doctors-to-lobby-for-opt-out-organ-donor-
    system
    http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.u...ail/story.html

ReputationRep:
    No; people shouldn't be forced into this for ethical and religious reasons - this could offend hardline religious people that oppose organ donation on religious grounds. Jehovah's witnesses for example believe that "the life is in the blood."

A very offensive and disrespectful bill that looks like Aph has written it, I half expected it to be a PMB then blinked and read the tagline again, very disappointing that this has been sanctioned as official government policy.

You lefties can't champion minority rights and equality of outcome while clearly persecuting a religious minority denomination in this way.

ReputationRep:
    If this is going to be done it needs to be done properly with a detailed bill to allow family members to have a say, how things will be different for individuals not capable of making up their mind, and the implementation of the policy. To give an idea of the detail needed, the author should look to mirror the bill introduced in Wales when this change to an opt-out system was made.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Again? See last term

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Connor27)
    No; people shouldn't be forced into this for ethical and religious reasons - this could offend hardline religious people that oppose organ donation on religious grounds. Jehovah's witnesses for example believe that "the life is in the blood."

A very offensive and disrespectful bill that looks like Aph has written it, I half expected it to be a PMB then blinked and read the tagline again, very disappointing that this has been sanctioned as official government policy.

You lefties can't champion minority rights and equality of outcome while clearly persecuting a religious minority denomination in this way.
    You realize that it's an opt out system right? And that in our SOI the government has just announced a massive campaign - sending a leaflet explaining how people can opt out to every household in the country (akin to Cameron's EU leaflet). So no one who objects on religious grounds or objects strongly for any reason at all will be forced to potentially save a person's life.

Persecution? Pftt.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    My 'Aye' vote on this bill will be one I'll be very proud to cast.

It is often difficult to make the world a better place and though difficulty is a poor excuse it is the one we always make. Here, with this minuscule reform, it is easy to save the lives of so many people who are being killed by apathy - how dare we refuse the opportunity.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay, nay, oh and.......NAY.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    If this is going to be done it needs to be done properly with a detailed bill to allow family members to have a say, how things will be different for individuals not capable of making up their mind, and the implementation of the policy. To give an idea of the detail needed, the author should look to mirror the bill introduced in Wales when this change to an opt-out system was made.
    We'll take a look at it. :yy:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Absolutely not. My reasoning stands as it did for the previous time(s) this Bill has been proposed.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Aye
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Absolutely not. My reasoning stands as it did for the previous time(s) this Bill has been proposed.
    Will you be able to motivate yourself to reiterate that reasoning? Perhaps in front of someone dying of kidney failure?

ReputationRep:
    No. Just no. There needn't be any change.
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I completely agree with the above. Until then, it's no from me.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Connor27)

No one will be forced to have their organs removed. In fact, we've especially created it so that it is very simple indeed for people to remove themselves from the register.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Which was what?

(Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Nay, nay, oh and.......NAY.
    May I ask why?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Will you be able to motivate yourself to reiterate that reasoning? Perhaps in front of someone dying of kidney failure?
    Absolutely. If you make the arrangements for me to be in front of that person, I would be more than happy to talk to them about it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    These are very valid points and something we will definitely look into for a second reading.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Absolutely. If you make the arrangements for me to be in front of that person, I would be more than happy to talk to them about it.
    It's a House of Common's innit, imagine it'll be broadcast on TV.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quamquam123)

May I ask why?
    It sounds stupid, but it makes my skin crawl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    No one will be forced to have their organs removed. In fact, we've especially created it so that it is very simple indeed for people to remove themselves from the register.
    You have not, as an example of an individual left behind, there is no allowance in this bill for a mentally disabled individual to have a decision made on their behalf by a family member, or a carer.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2017
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.