Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    Nay nay nay!

You can't force the public into organ donations, this will cause some controversy. Let people decide if they want to opt in or not.
    Posted from OtherWorld
    They will still be given a choice though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    They will still be given a choice though.
    What if a person turns 18 and then suddenly dies but didn't want to donate their organs. But by law they'll be force to donate their organs and didn't have the time to opt out, what then? Are you saying this person would then have to donate their organs even do they didn't want to?

It's also goes against some religions and most of these people would not want be forced into organ donation at 18, even if there's an opt out system in place.

I understand there's a shortage of organs donated and you guys want to increase that, so people who need transplants could get one.
    Why not instead fund stem cell research? or 3d bio printers research? that prints out organs from the person DNA/cells then we wouldn't need donated organs anymore. Just simply print them out lol :lol:

Posted from OtherWorld
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    What if a person turns 18 and then suddenly dies but didn't want to donate their organs. But by law they'll be force to donate their organs and didn't have the time to opt out, what then? Are you saying this person would then have to donate their organs even do they didn't want to?

It's also goes against some religions and most of these people would not want be forced into organ donation at 18, even if there's an opt out system in place.

I understand there's a shortage of organs donated and you guys want to increase that, so people who need transplants could get one.
    Why not instead fund stem cell research? or 3d bio printers research? that prints out organs from the person DNA/cells then we wouldn't need donated organs anymore. Just simply print them out lol :lol:

Posted from OtherWorld
    That is a valid point and perhaps we should add a period of 6 months or so in which they can opt out if they wish.

It will go against some religions but that's one of the reasons why we would still give people a chance to opt out.

I'd personally like for us to invest in stem cell research too. However, to tackle the issue and save lives in the short term, I believe this bill is the best way to go about doing that.

ReputationRep:
    That is a valid point and perhaps we should add a period of 6 months or so in which they can opt out if they wish.

It will go against some religions but that's one of the reasons why we would still give people a chance to opt out.

I'd personally like for us to invest in stem cell research too. However, to tackle the issue and save lives in the short term, I believe this bill is the best way to go about doing that.
    So people will have 6 months to opt out and then after that they can't? Is that what your implying?

Posted from OtherWorld
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    So people will have 6 months to opt out and then after that they can't? Is that what your implying?

Posted from OtherWorld
    I was suggesting people would have 6 months after they turn 18 before they are automatically added to the organ donation register. However, upon reflection, would this really be necessary anyway?

ReputationRep:
    I was suggesting people would have 6 months after they turn 18 before they are automatically added to the organ donation register. However, upon reflection, would this really be necessary anyway?
    I think we should let them opt out themselves between the ages of 16 and 18, and let their parents opt out for them before that.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    It might be sensible to have information regarding how to opt out sent to people with their NI cards. They then have plenty of time to opt out if they are so inclined. You don't want to be accused of not making people aware of the scheme.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    It might be sensible to have information regarding how to opt out sent to people with their NI cards. They then have plenty of time to opt out if they are so inclined. You don't want to be accused of not making people aware of the scheme.
    Yes, I think I mentioned this somewhere in the thread - we will almost certainly be adopting this.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I support this idea in principle. Provided people are sufficiently aware and the 'opt out' process is kept simple, I see no reason to oppose it as the desperate shortage of organ donors is something we need to tackle.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    There are so many ethical issues surrounding forcing people into organ donation. So, voting no on this. They should have the option to opt in, not having to opt out.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilhuff Tarkin)
    There are so many ethical issues surrounding forcing people into organ donation. So, voting no on this. They should have the option to opt in, not having to opt out.
    What exactly are these many ethical issues?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilhuff Tarkin)
    Except nobody's being forced into organ donation. All this does is change the presumption of those who don't express an opinion, and therefore evidently don't care either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    No; people shouldn't be forced into this for ethical and religious reasons - this could offend hardline religious people that oppose organ donation on religious grounds. Jehovah's witnesses for example believe that "the life is in the blood."

A very offensive and disrespectful bill that looks like Aph has written it, I half expected it to be a PMB then blinked and read the tagline again, very disappointing that this has been sanctioned as official government policy.

You lefties can't champion minority rights and equality of outcome while clearly persecuting a religious minority denomination in this way.
    No one is forced into anything. If they don't agree with donating anything, they can opt out. That's why it's called an "opt-out" system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    I don't know haha, it just does.
    Oh well, that's all right then. It's only peoples' lives we're talking about here. Obviously your sensitivities have to come first.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Oh well, that's all right then. It's only peoples' lives we're talking about here. Obviously your sensitivities have to come first.
    You quoted me because....?

ReputationRep:
    You quoted me because....?
    I disagree with your view and this is a public forum.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with your view and this is a public forum.
    No, the real reason please.

ReputationRep:
    No, the real reason please.
    I have no other reason to give. I had hoped you might actually try and defend your opinion, rather than just attacking my motivations for challenging it.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I have no other reason to give. I had hoped you might actually try and defend your opinion, rather than just attacking my motivations for challenging it.
    No, I just wanted to know the real reason, which you're not saying.

Okay, here you go; government intervention, with this issue, is wrong, in my opinion.

Will that reason suffice, master?

ReputationRep:
    No, I just wanted to know the real reason, which you're not saying.

Okay, here you go; government intervention, with this issue, is wrong, in my opinion.

Will that reason suffice, master?
    Forget it.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.