Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    No one is forced into anything. If they don't agree with donating anything, they can opt out. That's why it's called an "opt-out" system.
    Stop virtue signalling and justifying statism.

Opt-out intrinsically leads the sheeple into thinking that an idea is good because the state says so; opt in lets them make their own decision.

I rest my case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)

Opt-out intrinsically leads the sheeple into thinking that an idea is good because the state says so; opt in lets them make their own decision.

I rest my case.
    "opt-out" and "donation" is two words that shouldnt be going together...

You are donating this... until you say we cant...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SonoLuma)
    "opt-out" and "donation" is two words that shouldnt be going together...

You are donating this... until you say we cant...
    Well, donation sounds better than seizure

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Well, donation sounds better than seizure

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly, This bill is predicated on the assumption that many simply wont have the means to "opt-out," whether it is through mental illness, bad correspondence (bad at opening post or sending correspondence) or simply not knowing about it. Screw those people, right?

This bill is designed to essentially trick people into being on the organ donation list. If that wasnt the case, then an opt-in system would have just as much effectiveness. The government spends millions on advertising campaigns for speeding cars to litter, if this is such an important issue, why spend more money on the "opt-out" system and its inevitable costs, and instead find some way to SPEAK to the populace and not patronise and trick people.

ReputationRep:

I rest my case.
    Organ donation is a good idea that could save thousands of lives if more widely implemented. I would be completely content with a system that intrinsically leads people to think that it's a good idea, because it is a good idea. I don't see what the problem is here.

And here's another thing - the state subsidises the farmers who grow the food you eat. It protects your workplace rights from your employers. It protects your property and your life via the police and the legal system. It provides you with healthcare, basically for free. And in return, you complain about "statism". You don't know you're born, do you?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:

I rest my case.
    How on earth is it virtue signalling? You could just as easily be accused of that for taking a 'stand' for post-mortem self-determination (the only 'right' you're defending and one that isn't being threatened) at the expense of people's lives.

And, as the other poster has said, it is a good idea - regardless of who says so. Btw, these 'sheeple' are the ones that you're supposed to be championing (although in reality you're championing no one because your opposition isn't of any benefit to anyone's life).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Organ donation is a good idea that could save thousands of lives if more widely implemented. I would be completely content with a system that intrinsically leads people to think that it's a good idea, because it is a good idea. I don't see what the problem is here.

And here's another thing - the state subsidises the farmers who grow the food you eat. It protects your workplace rights from your employers. It protects your property and your life via the police and the legal system. It provides you with healthcare, basically for free. And in return, you complain about "statism". You don't know you're born, do you?
    That's ironic that you're talking down to me about my age; you've clearly never seen a tax bill, there's a section marked 'health' that we are all forced to pay into, sounds incredibly free to me...

Farming predates the idea of an all powerful centralised state and existed in anarchic hunter -gatherer societies.

That said, I'm not an anarcho-capitalist and the functions you've mentioned here: policing and the judiciary; I would also add international diplomacy and defence in the same bracket; they are necessities for the state and a reason for it to exist, there's still no justification for the behemoth that Ray and his collectivist pawns advocate for though...

ReputationRep:

I rest my case.
    Organ donation is a good idea. There's nothing wrong with the state interfering - the role of the state is to do what it can to improve peoples' lives.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:

I rest my case.
    For the record this is the most awful argument I've read with regards to this bill. The change would be imperceptible to most people - it would not change anyone into sheep-like thinking. You are getting rather desperate to demonstrate your opposition will cause any good to any individuals or to society as a whole.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This bill is in cessation.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    This bill has been withdrawn

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.